Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aging A Top  (Read 999 times)
stevelawsn

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2004, 10:14:16 PM »

I have heard that a new guitar can be broken in fast by placing it in front of a full range stereo speaker and playing music for several hours. I think that classical music is supposed to contain more of the entire frequency range than other kinds of music. This is supposed to cause the top to vibrate just as it would if the guitar were being played. Someone told me that Martin uses this technique to break in the tops of some of their guitars. Has anyone tried this?  

Larrivee D-03 (1997 model)
Larrivee LS-05
Larrivee 00-05
wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 12:43:32 AM »

We've tried it before, I can't say I noticed much of a difference, but I know several people who swear by it. I don't think it can hurt. I didn't do it with my Larivee, but it is opening up nicely with lots of playing time.

Deb

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
GIGGLER

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 12:47:03 AM »

That's exactly how I broke in my head! My hearing has suffered.

Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.
Gaw2luvit

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 01:30:23 AM »

There is a lot of discussion on this in the acguitar.com "gear" library. A number of folks use Conair suction cup massagers to do the same thing...
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 02:36:08 AM »

Steve I've set up alow freq.tone generator and vibrated top's.I've always notice a change but this does take week's.Did you order that RW parlour?sorry I couldn't help. ;)  

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
hatman

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2004, 11:26:01 AM »

I have left mine sitting in front of my stereo with the blues on for periods of time. I do believe there is something to it. It seems to me that my solid body guitars stiffen-up if they sit for long periods without being played. To my ear, the sound coming from one is flatter, less airy(if that is the word). YMMV.
Barry.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: