Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bob Dylan's Tempest  (Read 861 times)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2012, 02:54:52 PM »

I think we've reached the point wherein a Dylan album is impossible to review in a brief summary. There is more here than a essay could cover. This is brilliant work. At least as good as Love and Theft and it just plain sounds  great. The MP3 downloads don't do it justice. Dylan's band is stellar and his vocals are stunning. Just not in the classical sense. Think ancient blues man. I believe we are in for Tempestuous times. I read the news today, oh boy!
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 03:49:17 AM »

Yeah, I'm digging it. It's noticeably better than his last one but not as inventive or moving as Modern Times (but that was an absolute masterpiece) . I'd say Love and Theft is a good comparison quality wise and in general feel. Those are my initial impressions anyway. Some of the lyrics are on the intense side too.

"Another politician pumping out the piss
another angry beggar blowing you a kiss
you got the same eyes that your mother does
if only you could prove who your father was
someone must of slipped a drug in yer wine
you gulped it down and you cross the line
man can't live by bread alone
I pay in blood, but not my own."

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 12:31:49 PM »

Yeah, I'm digging it. It's noticeably better than his last one but not as inventive or moving as Modern Times (but that was an absolute masterpiece) . I'd say Love and Theft is a good comparison quality wise and in general feel. Those are my initial impressions anyway. Some of the lyrics are on the intense side too.

"Another politician pumping out the piss
another angry beggar blowing you a kiss
you got the same eyes that your mother does
if only you could prove who your father was
someone must of slipped a drug in yer wine
you gulped it down and you cross the line
man can't live by bread alone
I pay in blood, but not my own."

That's the song that's grabbed me. Kind of a laid back Stones/Warren Zevon feeling with a smoldering intensity. I think the rest of the album comes together around it. Followed by Scarlettown which is eerily great, as well. Oddly (or not) the song for Lennon is the one I like the least, so far. Overall, I like the sound of the recording. Voice right out front. Instruments all clear in the mix. Lots of space. It sounds warm. I'd love to hear it on vinyl. Dylan, as Jack Frost, could turn into a Rick Rubin character if he wanted to produce others.   
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 01:27:19 AM »

I thought his voice might be a bit too forward but I admit these songs lend themselves to the vocals being out front to a certain degree as opposed to maybe some of his heavier sounding stuff like 'Cry Awhile' or 'Thunder on the Mountain'. My guess for the song some pop artist makes a mainstream hit out of is 'Soon After Midnight'.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 01:21:13 PM »

I'm one of those fools who love his "singing" and want his voice up front like that. After further listening, the first five songs (which would have been side one of a vinyl album) are very strong. Side two starts off well but kind of peters out. I actually kind of like the Titanic song, to the tune of Tura Lura Lura, apparently, which has very little to do with the actual Titanic and more to do with existence itself. The length doesn't bother me, at all. I still really don't like Roll On John, in fact, along with Disease of Conceit, I'd rank it among his worst efforts. It annoys me when he sings, "They shot him in the back." They? Other than that, I like this album a lot.     
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: