Status of availability of Larrivee guitar straps?

Started by Td, September 11, 2012, 06:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello all~

Having read the posts from people looking for a Larrivee guitar strap (under a separate thread), it really appears to be a poor business decision - by the Larrivee guitar company - to not provide support for their products in this respect.  While the company makes other more trivial (promotional) items (such as pick holders, T-shirts, caps, etc.) available for sale through a third-party retailer, it's interesting that the decision has been made to withhold the availability of guitar straps (while mandolin straps apparently remain available for sale).  I'm not sure that any element of reasonable logic could effectively support this business decision.

I do own a Larrivee guitar and have tried for some time to find a Larrivee strap for it.  However, I also own a Taylor and a Martin.  No one would reasonably concur that Larrivee is a hands-down winner in their peer group of guitar manufacturers (however you define that group ... and which guitar manufacturer(s) you choose to include in that group).  Many people might choose Taylor, some Martin, still others Gibson, and so on (each instrument has a unique sound, and favoured by an individual).  All of the aforementioned guitar manufacturers make straps available for owners of their products.  The fact that Larrivee does not indicates either that:
a. The Larrivee guitar company is not quite ready to play in the (mass-produced) guitar manufaturers 'big league', or
b. The Larrivee guitar company has unilaterally decided to arrogantly snub their (guitar) customers who agree to pay a premium price for products that are not properly (or fully) supported.

Tough economic times or not, it's time for the Larrivee guitar company to reconsider this 'minor-league player' business acumen.

Td

Quote from: Td on September 11, 2012, 06:10:23 PM
it really appears to be a poor business decision - by the Larrivee guitar company - to not provide support for their products in this respect.  While the company makes other more trivial (promotional) items (such as pick holders, T-shirts, caps, etc.) available for sale through a third-party retailer, it's interesting that the decision has been made to withhold the availability of guitar straps

Larrivee doesn't make straps either. That stuff is all made by third party vendors. I don't think the marketplace for Larrivee swag is that big (compared to Martin or Taylor) so I'm not surprised that a vendor has not produced a bunch of product to sit in a warehouse so a few fans can buy some goodies.

I say...let Larrivee do what they do best...

Have you looked at Sully's straps? Now there's a great product! And a side-benefit is you can use it on any guitar brand you own!
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

I had an additional thought...

The fact that Larrivee does not indicates either that:

a. The Larrivee guitar company is not quite ready to play in the (mass-produced) guitar manufaturers 'big league', or
b. The Larrivee guitar company has unilaterally decided to arrogantly snub their (guitar) customers who agree to pay a premium price for products that are not properly (or fully) supported.

I don't think either a) nor b) are indicated.

I think if there was money to be made making Larrivee straps someone would be making them...

Anybody want to invest their money in a business venture? You could make your next million!
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

I've never understood logo guitar straps. Typically, the logo is over the shoulder where NO ONE can see it.

Reminds me of that old joke about wetting yourself in a brown suit; you feel warm all over and no one notices.  :humour:

Tough economic times or not, it's time for the Larrivee guitar company to reconsider this 'minor-league player' business acumen.

Trevor

Pretty strong words to a company coming up upon 50 years in the biz.

I hear your frustrations on getting a guitar strap to match the guitar you obviously appreciate very much. I too would like a Larrivee strap or two. Having said that I appreciate the Larrivee focus which in my view is building the best quality instrument and doing so for the player who doesn't need to obtain a mortgage to purchase one.

As said already there is nothing minor league about their guitars tho their marketing prowess and energies are less than what we have become accustomed to from some of their competitors. I for one, would rather it this way then the other way around, tho marketing over product works well for other companies too.

:cheers
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

:cop: I want to post something but I don't wish to.......................make a comment based on your post.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

:cop:    You don't play the strap. 
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

A matching strap could be cool, but not at all necessary, actually the most comfortable strap that I have ever owned is a Heartwood strap (made of pieces of wood linked together) I still have it and its beautiful  as well as comfortable, thats what its really about, comfort when you play, but I understand your want...
Tom:

Peace and LONG LIVE THE BLUES...

2011 Larrivee Wildwood Custom Dv03re
1994 Fender Stratocaster
1964 Fender Duo Sonic ll
2009 Highland Royal Deluxe
Line 6 flextone original model
Mesa Maverick Dual Rectifier
Vox Pathfinder 15r

Interesting perspective, TD.  To me, you're putting the em-PHA-sis on the wrong syl-LAB-le.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: unclrob on September 11, 2012, 09:49:22 PM
:cop: I want to post something but I don't wish to.......................make a comment based on your post.

:+1: 

Short response:
To put it in economic terms, a guitar strap is largely a commodity, while the guitar itself could best be described as a speciality good.  The don't make strings either.  Generally speaking, when makers of speciality goods (high brand loyalty) get into the business of commodities (low brand loyalty), the result is usually a distraction from their core competency and brand dilution.  To insinuate strongly that the only reasons for not ramping up the Larrivee swag machine is for one of the two reasons you mention, is not understanding the motivations of the business, and frankly, really unfair.    :cop: 

Expanded response:
As a small but growing company (does anyone know how many employees?), I'm sure it's run pretty lean and everyone is focused on the business of making guitars, so marketing may not be any one employee's primary role (it's probably shared).  That's a big assumption, so I accept that I could be way off on that point, but being in a small but growing business myself we deal with some of the same issues.  That may need to change for Larrivee as the company ramps up production, expands distribution, and competes on brand recognition in big-box music stores (Guitar Center), but if I were JCL I'd want to retain the feel of a boutique guitar maker (albeit a large one) as long as I can, stick to what I do best, and not rush into brand dilution.

I'm not sure how the Cherokee relationship works, but if they license the name maybe your frustration should be pointed in that direction?

Sorry for the dump, but the morning caffeine buzz has fully kicked-in and this topic sparked my interest! :coffee :coffee :coffee

All Lefty:
Acoustic:
Larrivee OMV-10
Larrivee D-05E
Martin CEO-7
Taylor 416

Electric:
Larrivee RS-4, Forum V #2
Fender American Standard Tele
Fender Aerodyne Strat
PureSalem Elevation
Epiphone Joe Pass, modified with Gibson '57 classics

Don't be such a cheapskate.  Go to a leather shop and have a custom one made.

Quote from: MC13 on September 12, 2012, 08:59:20 AM

I'm not sure how the Cherokee relationship works, but if they license the name maybe your frustration should be pointed in that direction?

This ^^^. I suspect if Cherokee were getting lots of requests for Larrivee straps, they'd get on the ball and have some made. I received one of the last ones they had (and it was a "2nd" with one very minor blemish). If they're not ramping up production, it's because the demand isn't really there.

As far as marketing, if Cherokee is the source for the straps, then THEY are the ones who are doing a lousy job marketing (and making available) their products.

:donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Walkerman on September 12, 2012, 09:23:22 AM
Don't be such a cheapskate.  Go to a leather shop and have a custom one made.

I imagine he could buy one and have it tooled ... your suggestion brought back memories of some crafting class I took in jr hi where we made tooled leather wallets. It wasn't that difficult as I recall and required few tools.

Maybe start with one of these? And maybe the local arts/crafts instructor (jr/sr high school) can provide some names of artists?

http://www.longhollowleather.com/catalog_premier.htm

I recently ordered a strap from this site. Just got it the other day and it is very well made and there are a million (figuratively speaking) designs. You can even have it custom made if you wanted.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JamzOriginals

I have no affilaition witht he company...I just thought I would pass along some reviews.

Cheers

The original post got me to thinking! I've never seen a Linda Manzer or a Grit Laskin or a Marc Beneteau guitar strap either. Maybe this is the business model Larrivee is following.
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Huh? I'll sell you mine for ... ONE MILLION DOLLARS!  Then you'll be a major league poster.  :rolleye:

Quote from: ducktrapper on September 13, 2012, 01:41:53 PM
Huh? I'll sell you mine for ... ONE MILLION DOLLARS!  Then you'll be a major league poster.  :rolleye:

:roll :roll :roll :roll
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

I don't think the success or failure of Larrivee is hanging by a strap.  I find the bush league acumen comment uninformed and lacking a true appreciation for the business model of a maker of fine instruments.  JS.  :cop:
Steve ....aka the SMan

Quote from: SMan on September 13, 2012, 02:28:11 PM
I don't think the success or failure of Larrivee is hanging by a strap.  I find the bush league acumen comment uninformed and lacking a true appreciation for the business model of a maker of fine instruments.  JS.  :cop:

:thumbsup
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks