A question for UncleRob

Started by fongie, September 08, 2012, 09:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi U-Rob,

Today I purchased a old slotthead 'Jason parlour' guitar at the Sunday market. I am positive it is a classical, it has no truss rod, but the guitar has had steel strings fitted and has pulled the bridge off the body slightly. Also the top has a slight bulge at the back of the bridge.

I removed two screws and removed the bridge. I don't think I can fix the bulge so, I will clean it up and mount the bridge back.

My question is....... What glue do I use? Can I use 'Liquid nail glue'? Cheers.

Just get some good yellow wood glue and some clamps that will reach from the sound hole to the bridge.Make sure that there is no glue resido on the bridge or were the bridge is going to be placed.Dampen the bridge bottom and the area were the bridge will be placed with some water.As the water dry's it will pull the glue further into the wood allowing a tighter bond.As always any help I can be. :beer
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on September 08, 2012, 09:57:43 PM
Just get some good yellow wood glue and some clamps that will reach from the sound hole to the bridge.Make sure that there is no glue resido on the bridge or were the bridge is going to be placed.Dampen the bridge bottom and the area were the bridge will be placed with some water.As the water dry's it will pull the glue further into the wood allowing a tighter bond.As always any help I can be. :beer

You are a 'Legend' U-Rob. Okay, do I also replace the screws? These two screws are NOT self tapping but, it had no nut attached to them either. Cheers

If you can replace them with a nut and bolt about the same size do it.If you redrill the hole right and let me know the size your using I have some pearl dots I'll mail you so you can cove the top of the new bolt.I have some 7 and 8 mm pearl or if you use a real small nut and bolt I have some nice blue and green abalone dots also.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on September 09, 2012, 12:03:25 AM
If you can replace them with a nut and bolt about the same size do it.If you redrill the hole right and let me know the size your using I have some pearl dots I'll mail you so you can cove the top of the new bolt.I have some 7 and 8 mm pearl or if you use a real small nut and bolt I have some nice blue and green abalone dots also.

Thankyou U-Rob.

I will use the same bolt, I will find two nuts to add to it. Do I use washers with the nuts U-Rob?

Oh yeah, when I removed the bolts. I had to remove old 'black fillers' that covered the top of the bolt. What is that filler they use?

you can use a washer if you want,it does dispearse the preasure and will help keep the nut from digging into the wood.The filler is either a piece of fiberboard or plastic.If you want the dots I have just pm me you mailing address.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on September 09, 2012, 09:31:36 PM
you can use a washer if you want,it does dispearse the preasure and will help keep the nut from digging into the wood.The filler is either a piece of fiberboard or plastic.If you want the dots I have just pm me you mailing address.

Cheers again U-Rob.