NGD L-02

Started by 12stringer, September 04, 2012, 08:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

:donut :donut :donut2 :donut2 :coffee :coffee  Hey all!  Just picked up a new L-02 from Longe & McQuades here in Canada...What a Guitar!!!!  I am now going to sell my Guild Gad JF30 to pay off the financing.  I Love the richness of the L-02.  It practically yelled at me to take it home as I really felt it sounded better than any of the other guitars on the wall...and there were quite a few High and medium priced guitars.  Jean Larivee sure knows how to coax a great sound out of mahogany and spruce!  Anyhow, when I played this one in the store it had the sound I have been looking for.  I am Stoked!!!  :bgrin:
Last week I played one of the L-03fm guitars....Ohhh Myyy!  Out of my price range but what loud richness!
Randy
Larrivee L-02
Guild F212XL

Nice account. Happy to hear you were able to match the sound in your head. Where in Canada.

Congratulations.

:gotpics:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Hi Joyce
I am in Mississauga Ontario.  No pics yet, but will post some soon :-)
Randy
Larrivee L-02
Guild F212XL

Welcome to the club.

As you discovered, Jean Larrivee knows how to locate and match great wood with design to make an exceptional sounding instrument. This guitar will give you everything you need from strumming to fingerpicking. Try tuning it down a step or switch it to dropped or open D. I have been playing my L-03MT all evening in dropped D.

Haven't ventured into drop D yet but will definitely be doing just that very soon...Lately I have been using a cut capo on the 2nd fret...great droning deepness :bgrin: :donut :donut2 :donut2 :coffee :coffee
Randy
Larrivee L-02
Guild F212XL

:donut :donut2 :donut :donut2 :coffee :donut :donut2 :donut2 :coffee
Hi folks
The L-02 is sounding fantastic!!!  I took a tiny bit off the bottom of the saddle once I adjusted the truss rod slightly and the action is just right and I dare say she sounds even better!   :bgrin:  Here are some photos from my cell phone.  I am supremely happy with this guitar!  

Randy
Larrivee L-02
Guild F212XL

Congratulations on your purchase, I hope your enjoying the L-02 as much as i am enjoying the OM-02 i recently purchased.

One cosmetic addition I have made recently is to replace the plastic pins with a set of brass pins, with black MOP inlays.

Will post photos of the OM-02 as soon as I have "the power"
OM-02

Apologies for the multiple posts, but just wanted to ask, did that L-02 come with the strap button on the neck as standard, or was it an after sales fit?
OM-02

An after sales fit.

Looking  forward to your pics
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Congrats 12stringer, a nice guitar that will give you years of enjoyment. I bought my L-07 at L&M here in Winnipeg back in 1987. I too find it sounds great with a cut capo on 2, as well as in drop D.

cheers  :cheers
andrew
Andrew J.
Larrivee L-07 / DR sunbeams 13s

Yes, I picked up the strap pin from Longe&Mcquades...easy to do...I predrilled a pilot hole and screwed the strap pin into the neck.  I also installed a pickup...a Schatten Dualie ...just stick onto the inside of the guitar with a bit of putty and the end pin jack is an easy inastallation as the Larrivee was predrilled for it...Thanks Jean Larrivee for that great insight!!!  :thumbsup  I have a behringer acoustic guitar preamp that I plug into and it also acts as a direct box and has eq on board.  The pickup sounds absolutely natural with a bit of eq (reduce the mids at about 1k).  Did I mention that this guitar is FANTASTIC!?? 
I am one happy camper! :bgrin:
Randy
Larrivee L-02
Guild F212XL

Quote from: 12stringer on September 04, 2012, 08:52:01 PM
:donut :donut :donut2 :donut2 :coffee :coffee  Hey all!  Just picked up a new L-02 from Longe & McQuades here in Canada...What a Guitar!!!!  I am now going to sell my Guild Gad JF30 to pay off the financing.  I Love the richness of the L-02.  It practically yelled at me to take it home as I really felt it sounded better than any of the other guitars on the wall...and there were quite a few High and medium priced guitars.  Jean Larivee sure knows how to coax a great sound out of mahogany and spruce!  Anyhow, when I played this one in the store it had the sound I have been looking for.  I am Stoked!!!  :bgrin:
Last week I played one of the L-03fm guitars....Ohhh Myyy!  Out of my price range but what loud richness!
Hmmm....describe the sound of the maple for me a little more compared to the L-02. :ph34r:
L-03 Italian Spruce

I didn't a / b the two but I would say the maple has a fuller sounding treble...is brighter and less nasal sounding than the L-02...keeping in mind that I like mahogany nasal sound  :guitar ...bottom end was similar...basically the fm out shone a $2400 custom shop Taylor that I have been drooling over for the past 3 years.  Hope this encourages you to try one out if you can find one    :smile:
Randy
Larrivee L-02
Guild F212XL

Quote from: 12stringer on September 18, 2012, 03:40:02 PM
I didn't a / b the two but I would say the maple has a fuller sounding treble...is brighter and less nasal sounding than the L-02...keeping in mind that I like mahogany nasal sound  :guitar ...bottom end was similar...basically the fm out shone a $2400 custom shop Taylor that I have been drooling over for the past 3 years.  Hope this encourages you to try one out if you can find one    :smile:
Thanks for the description. I need to get my hands on one of the Larrivee maples.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Here is the flame maple guitar I played Flamed Maple Guitar
London is not too far away  :winkin:
Randy
Larrivee L-02
Guild F212XL

Quote from: 12stringer on September 18, 2012, 06:06:55 PM
Here is the flame maple guitar I played Flamed Maple Guitar
London is not too far away  :winkin:
Hey the guitar even comes with a DVD about the harvesting of the giant sitka the top came from. How cool is that.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Yep...if I had the money that guitar would have been sold the day I played it. :bgrin:
Randy
Larrivee L-02
Guild F212XL

If it helps the maple body Larrivee's I have played have a rounder and smoother midrange,not harsh like most maple body guitars.The only other company that has done justice to maple is Guild though I prefer the older Guilds made i the USA mostly there arch back modal's I will say the GAD from china aren't bad either.One of my playing buds keeps his GAD JF30 at my home. :wave
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on September 18, 2012, 09:20:44 PM
If it helps the maple body Larrivee's I have played have a rounder and smoother midrange,not harsh like most maple body guitars.The only other company that has done justice to maple is Guild though I prefer the older Guilds made i the USA mostly there arch back modal's I will say the GAD from china aren't bad either.One of my playing buds keeps his GAD JF30 at my home. :wave
Yes, rounder and smoother midrange describes the sound quite good... Years ago I played a USA made Guild JF30 and never forgot that great sound.  The Gad JF30 I recently sold wasn't quite there and a bit harsh but not bad...loved the bottom end and it did not break up under heavy strumming.  The L-02 has the mahogany sound in spades and plenty of depth which I love.  The trebles sparkle without being tinny and the mids have a great cutting edge without the harshness. :cheers
Randy
Larrivee L-02
Guild F212XL