Tried a Simon and Patrick Slot Head yet?

Started by webberink, August 26, 2012, 06:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So I tried a Simon and Patrick, Woodland Pro slot head folk sized guitar on the weekend (http://www.simonandpatrick.com/woodlandprofolkbst.htm).  Its made by Godin in Quebec.  Its all solid wood, hog sides and back, spruce top.  Sweet sounding, great player and very economical ($630  in my neck of the Canadian woods ).  I was very impressed.  It's not a 12 fret though.  Godin makes a similar guitar with a cedar top in their Norman line that I viewed on line (http://www.normanguitars.com/st40folk.html).  Has any one else tried one of these?  I would be interested in opinions.  Here is a better picture off the 12th fret web site.
Dave
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

Nice looking guitar.  Dave, what's the string spacing like?  Site doesn't tell all....
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart   Guitar" SJ; Osage Orange; Master Grade Italian Spruce; Inlay by Jimi Wingert   :D
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar + Italian double top
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl
Seagull Parlor in Nashville high tuning

RW,
I am not sure what the spacing is at the saddle but at the nut according to the spec sheet on Simon and Patrick's website it is 1.72" and the scale is 24.84".  It felt like a good 1.75" to me as I played it.  I was cruising around the web and stumbled on this review at Premier Guitars (http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2011/Jul/Simon_Patrick_Woodland_Pro_Folk_Sunburst_Acoustic_Guitar_Review.aspx). Charles Saufley describes it pretty well in my books.  Also the 12th Fret has a good write up on their web site if you look.
Dave

Quote from: webberink on August 27, 2012, 11:54:40 AM
RW,
I am not sure what the spacing is at the saddle but at the nut according to the spec sheet on Simon and Patrick's website it is 1.72" and the scale is 24.84".  It felt like a good 1.75" to me as I played it.  I was cruising around the web and stumbled on this review at Premier Guitars (http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2011/Jul/Simon_Patrick_Woodland_Pro_Folk_Sunburst_Acoustic_Guitar_Review.aspx). Charles Saufley describes it pretty well in my books.  Also the 12th Fret has a good write up on their web site if you look.
Dave

Thanks, Dave.  I have one of the 1.72" Seagull Parlors and it's definitely roomy enough for my big mitts.  This S&P looks like a good companion for it!
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart   Guitar" SJ; Osage Orange; Master Grade Italian Spruce; Inlay by Jimi Wingert   :D
Rainsong H-DR1100N2

RW
I have had a number of Godin guitars over the years too and always enjoyed them as being very good players and have kicked myself for passing them on.  The very best was a Solid Wood 25th Anniversary mahogany/spruce Seagull with an LR Baggs PU system that I passed on to a good freind who was just learning to play.  I am really seriously thinking of adding one of these S&P slot heads to my stable as well.  It would be good to hear from someone who has one has put some hours on one.
Dave

Quote from: webberink on August 27, 2012, 12:45:26 PM
RW
I have had a number of Godin guitars over the years too and always enjoyed them as being very good players and have kicked myself for passing them on.  The very best was a Solid Wood 25th Anniversary mahogany/spruce Seagull with an LR Baggs PU system that I passed on to a good freind who was just learning to play.  I am really seriously thinking of adding one of these S&P slot heads to my stable as well.  It would be good to hear from someone who has one has put some hours on one.
Dave

I think you are nominated!  Be sure to take lots of photos and do a great writeup!
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Rainsong H-DR1100N2

I tried the Simon & patrick many times and the Norman and the Seagull. I must say the S & M sounded great and and easy to play, the Norman sounded ordinary and also my luthier told me to stay away from the Norman because the wood s they use is still to green.
The best one that i liked if the SH and the Sunburst top is not important is the Seagull Maritime SWS, it's not a FIII but shape wise it's similar and their wood is better than the Norman or the less expensive one they make.
The price is also very attractive for an all wood guitar, if you add a case(a classical case is fine) you should be around 700$(canadian).
I'm checking KIJIJI and Craigslist hopping to find a used one.

Pierre
FIII LS 03 MH #74      Charlotte
LS 09 FM                    Ari
Moisan OM                  Unique

S&P is one of the best values out there, in my opinion.  Would love to try that little guy out.
This ain't quite heaven and it ain't quite hell
ain't no angels playin harps
ain't no devils with tails

Larrivee OO-03R
Martin D-18

Quote from: pierrev on August 27, 2012, 09:18:11 PM
I tried the Simon & patrick many times and the Norman and the Seagull. I must say the S & M sounded great and and easy to play, the Norman sounded ordinary and also my luthier told me to stay away from the Norman because the wood s they use is still to green.The best one that i liked if the SH and the Sunburst top is not important is the Seagull Maritime SWS, it's not a FIII but shape wise it's similar and their wood is better than the Norman or the less expensive one they make.
The price is also very attractive for an all wood guitar, if you add a case(a classical case is fine) you should be around 700$(canadian).
I'm checking KIJIJI and Craigslist hopping to find a used one.
Pierre
Not to dispute what your luthier said, but in my experience, all the Godin brand acoustics are pretty much interchangeable for equivalent models.  (I.e models made with the same wood combinations, body styles and dimensions.)  Many models of Art & Lutherie, Seagull, Simon and Patrick, La Patrie, and Norman are basically identical with different labels and perhaps rosettes and headstock shapes.  They also have the same neck attachment systems, I believe.  I can't see them using greener wood on Normans.  Since they are all made in the same place wouldn't the woods come from the same piles/stocks?  I think any noticeable differences in these matching models  are due to them being individual examples and not their brand.  I don't have proof of this other than I've worked on and played several of them.  Two of the nicest sounding and playing guitars I've come across for the money are Norman model B20's from the 1980s with solid spruce tops.  I own one of them and a co-worker owns the other one.  Mine, Mr. Sunshine is shown in the pics.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Will you are rigth the folk model comes in all brand of accoustic at Godin except the lower brand including Normans are using greener woods than the Seagull and Simon & Patrick. One of the problems he ancouter the most is the neck(Normans) that needs adjustment quit often.
From what i was told from an ex rep of Godin, the Seagull starting with the Maritime models and up and the Simon & Patrick starting with the Woodland models and up are using better grade wood that the lower models.
The older Norman models where well builded and sounded great, i hade in 74 and it was my first good guitar, but it's gone now.

Pierre

Quote from: pierrev on August 28, 2012, 07:45:49 PM
Will you are rigth the folk model comes in all brand of accoustic at Godin except the lower brand including Normans are using greener woods than the Seagull and Simon & Patrick. One of the problems he ancouter the most is the neck(Normans) that needs adjustment quit often.
From what i was told from an ex rep of Godin, the Seagull starting with the Maritime models and up and the Simon & Patrick starting with the Woodland models and up are using better grade wood that the lower models.
The older Norman models where well builded and sounded great, i hade in 74 and it was my first good guitar, but it's gone now.
Pierre
Hey Pierre, that makes sense.  That would explain the difference in price among models that I am calling "the same".  I wonder why they would do that though.  I guess it's to keep up with the demand for their many guitars and they only have so much wood.  If that's true, I'm guessing the Normans and Art & Lutherie brands might be the "lower" models right now.  I have a soft spot for Normans since my first real good guitar was a 1972 B20.  It had a plywood top though, not solid like the current B20.  I haven't seen a lot of current Norman guitars for sale anywhere in Edmonton.  I see lot's of Art & Lutherie, Seagulls, and Simon & Patrick, in that order.  I bought a great Seagull solid spruce top dread for my daughter about 10 years ago.  It was highly recommended to me by the guy at the music store at the time and it was great value.

At the risk of steering this thread, I recently tried a Godin Electric solid body with 2 P90s (don't remember the model) and it was outstanding in sound and playability.
:cheers
Kurt
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on August 28, 2012, 08:53:17 PM
Hey Pierre, that makes sense.  That would explain the difference in price among models that I am calling "the same".  I wonder why they would do that though.  I guess it's to keep up with the demand for their many guitars and they only have so much wood.  If that's true, I'm guessing the Normans and Art & Lutherie brands might be the "lower" models right now.  I have a soft spot for Normans since my first real good guitar was a 1972 B20.  It had a plywood top though, not solid like the current B20.  I haven't seen a lot of current Norman guitars for sale anywhere in Edmonton.  I see lot's of Art & Lutherie, Seagulls, and Simon & Patrick, in that order.  I bought a great Seagull solid spruce top dread for my daughter about 10 years ago.  It was highly recommended to me by the guy at the music store at the time and it was great value.

At the risk of steering this thread, I recently tried a Godin Electric solid body with 2 P90s (don't remember the model) and it was outstanding in sound and playability.

Kurt you just reminded me about the plywood top. We used to call it the plywood guitar and my buddy had the first 12 strings they made, i think it was a B12. As for the Seagull and the S & P you have to keep in mind that the higher models are all wood guitars and they probably use better tops than the lower models.
Kurt over here in Montreal you trip on them everywhere use or new. The S&P folk is more rare to find on the use market but i keep my eyes open. If i dont find one, then i will go to the store where i bougth my Seagull Perfomer and i will go for a second market.

Pierre

I got my daughter a Solid Wood Series Seagull dread. Great guitar. Very responsive. Rosewood back and sides. Spruce top. Plays well to light touch. Very nice. I would like to get their equivalent parlour, but all I see is the Ami - which is not all solid wood. Does Seagull (or other Godin brands) make a solid parlour? I don't think so. They make a solid mini jumbo and a solid folk. But I haven't seen a solid parlour. Please correct me if I am wrong!
Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010
Larrivee RS-4 1983 "Explorer"

The Simon & Patrick Woodland series has a solid wood parlor either in sunburst top or natural top and mahogany back and side. The model is similar to the Ami but with higher grade wood.

Pierre

So I just got a price quote for the S&P Woodland pro folk slot head from a Vancouver supplier.  I can't believe how affordable this little beauty is ... well under 600 bucks, no case incl.  How can they do it.  Next, I have to scrounge the money.
Dave

Yup and it's made right here in Canada :bgrin:

Pierre

There's a recent review on the "Woodland Pro- folk" model by AG's Teja Gerken.
In AG magazine's review mention is made about its similarity to the Gibby LG-2 - there is certainly a visual similarity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndP9iMFwPG4
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Just wanted to update this and ask if anyone has tried one of these ? They sound pretty good on Youtube, but would like to hear from someone who has actually played one. I don't have any dealers in the state that carry Simon Patricks. Thanks for any replies in advance.
play4Him

( @ )===:::

I tried one, and plan to buy one when I get a 12 string sold that I am working on selling.  The one I tried I really liked.  The tone in particular was sweet with lots of volume and the mids were nicely balanced with the base.  The action on the one I tried was a little high but of course that is just a set up issue.  The fit and finish was excellent and the neck was very nice as well.  Nut spacing felt a little wider to my hand s than the specs quoted.  12TH FRET up here in Canada sells them and ships stateside  http://www.12fret.com/content/2012/07/09/simon-and-patrick-woodland-pro-folk-sunburst-high-gloss/. As does Mike at  Acemate Guitar Emporium
email: acemate@direct.ca
Hope this helps
Dave

Yep, got the very same guitar right here, bought at Twelfth Fret in Toronto, and had it signed by both Robert Godin, and his son Simon (who also has one) last time I saw them.
A very fine outing from this company, probably the ONLY guitar they use all solid woods on.

I prefer the 14 fret to a twelve with this one, it just works.
For a 100 5 canadian made guitar at under $700.00 and all solid woods, it's hard to beat..
  As a long time fan of Jeans necks, I'm not really fussy about the shape of the neck on this guitar, but, hey you can't have everything.
This company is a solid producer and have very high consisitency when it comes to durability, (Must be those bitter Quebec winters)

Quote from: webberink on August 26, 2012, 06:08:15 PM
So I tried a Simon and Patrick, Woodland Pro slot head folk sized guitar on the weekend (http://www.simonandpatrick.com/woodlandprofolkbst.htm).  Its made by Godin in Quebec.  Its all solid wood, hog sides and back, spruce top.  Sweet sounding, great player and very economical ($630  in my neck of the Canadian woods ).  I was very impressed.  It's not a 12 fret though.  Godin makes a similar guitar with a cedar top in their Norman line that I viewed on line (http://www.normanguitars.com/st40folk.html).  Has any one else tried one of these?  I would be interested in opinions.  Here is a better picture off the 12th fret web site.
Dave

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...