Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I offically hate the new tele saddle's Retraction sort of  (Read 2725 times)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2012, 04:21:13 PM »

Not to be overly negative but these new Callahan saddles really s**k,sorry Larrivee.I just installed them on 2 tele's and have broken 3 strings on each guitar,not just once but 3 time's and different strings.I'm not talking about just the plain strings.With the break angle from the strings thru to the saddle the saddle edge is way to sharp and should be slightley rounded over.Once I got the OK to do so I don't have a problem any more.Anyone with a Bakersfield have this problem.Oh ya and they don't seem to intonate any better the the old style brass barral style saddle's.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
dr.underhill

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 05:37:07 PM »

Not to be overly negative but these new Callahan saddles really s**k,sorry Larrivee.I just installed them on 2 tele's and have broken 3 strings on each guitar,not just once but 3 time's and different strings.I'm not talking about just the plain strings.With the break angle from the strings thru to the saddle the saddle edge is way to sharp and should be slightley rounded over.Once I got the OK to do so I don't have a problem any more.Anyone with a Bakersfield have this problem.Oh ya and they don't seem to intonate any better the the old style brass barral style saddle's.

ahhh progress. don't you just love it.

i used to agitate for sedition. now i advocate sedation.
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 09:37:52 PM »

Rob are you talking about the Callaham saddles on the Bakersfield or the Callaham saddle on other Tele's?  I am not a guitar tech (not even close  ).  Like you, I would be curious to hear back from some Bakersfield owners.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 11:03:32 PM »

I don't usually have a problem with breaking strings on any of my guitars...

...and I haven't broken any on the Bakersfield.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Ian

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 11:16:22 PM »

I've installed Joe Barden replacement Bridges/Saddles on all but one of my Telecasters, never had a problem!! Love em'.

Larrivee L-05[brGitane' DG-300 & DG-250 ] 2009 Fender RW Telecaster (Barden pickups/bridge)
97 Telecaster Plus
87 Telecaster
01 Warmoth Tele

01 Danelectro Baritone
  DR.Z MAZ 38 SR,
Visual Sound Route 66/H2o[Breedlove 00 Mandolin,Banjo's,

"...never could stand that dog..."Tom Waits
teacycle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 11:54:58 PM »

No problems yet.
randmag

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 12:11:04 AM »

I have a Bakersfield and I haven't had any problems with string breakage either. I took a closer look at the saddle and did notice that the holes aren't rounded over so I'll try and remember that if I do break a string.

RS-4 Forum V Mini's,
RS-4 Goldtop HB's,
Bakersfield burst,
L03,
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 02:43:05 PM »

Cool maybe its the set my customer got.Still for the money its a give or take at getting an even intonation.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 06:21:54 PM »

OK its seems that these saddle's were some sort of knock-off by some one trying to cash in on the fade.So since they weren't real Callaham saddle's I wish to apoligize to all that may have been offended with my statement.Sorry gang. blush

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 09:41:37 PM »

None taken  .  Glad the real situation came to light.  I would hate to think the Bakersfield's image would be marred  crying  Thanks for closing the loop Rob.  It shows you're a person of integrity  +1
LeftyBlake

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »

I was just about to say "I think this is the only negative comment I have ever heard on Callaham" then I saw your last post. Callaham's stuff really is top notch, IMO.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 08:45:19 PM »

When I had a client show up with real one's I noticed that his are rounded over and the one's that caused me to hate them were not,they had sharp edge's.I still don't like the idea that a premade duel saddle can intonate correctly.I mean someone that has an ear that can hear the slightest of offness in intonation shouldn't be using these.There is just no way to make a saddle with pre determined points for intonation to work on every guitar.For this you have to have seperate saddle's for each sting and on acoustics its even harder.I do remember a saddle called a grandaddy for acoustic with adjustable saddles for each string and I think at some point Gibson had tune-a-matics on there acoustics as well as some 70's era japanesse.So for me I'll stick with the old style tele saddle's and be happy.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Matthew Larrivee
Admin

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 11:39:26 PM »

I have to say that with the callaham saddles on the bakersfield you can get the intonation better that virtually every tele i've come across that uses three barrel saddles. What I most like about the bridge is its mass. It's a little thicker than vintage and at first I was a little un-sure about going "against-vintage" but I quickly came acround. WAAAY better than my 1953 original.

PS: tele neck covers came in today.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 03:10:50 AM »

I have to say that with the callaham saddles on the bakersfield you can get the intonation better that virtually every tele i've come across that uses three barrel saddles. What I most like about the bridge is its mass. It's a little thicker than vintage and at first I was a little un-sure about going "against-vintage" but I quickly came acround. WAAAY better than my 1953 original.

I don't mind the thicker bridge on the 2 Bakersfields that I have played I was really over joyed with the solidness of the guitar.I'm not a big stick in the mud when it come's to being vintage.It may just be all the years of playing and intonating the simple barral type saddle's.But when a client with picky ears come's in with these comp. saddle's and then say that the intonation will be right on and there not,then I bring out my personal guitars and they find that there about the same what can I do.Like I said its just my opinion and everyone has one.Matthew let me know when your sending the neck pickup I can't wait.The Matthew Esquire is going to be use this Sunday at a gig by a friend and one of my jazz clients wants to borrow it for a couple of up coming gigs so I can again say without a doubt that the bridge pu is a hit.Balanve volumn from E-E,great note seoeration and a wide range tone monster.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 01:24:09 PM »

+1

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 02:57:29 PM »

+1

I think this now means ALL pickups on the Bakersfield are now made in-house by Larrivee instead of the Seymour Duncan pups.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 03:04:44 PM »

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 08:36:09 PM »

I think this now means ALL pickups on the Bakersfield are now made in-house by Larrivee instead of the Seymour Duncan pups.

Yup. My Bakersfield is at Oxnard right now getting Larrivee bridge and mini-humbucker pups installed...looking forward to getting that guitar back - I've been missing it!

+1

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
bacchus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 08:38:44 PM »

Yup. My Bakersfield is at Oxnard right now getting Larrivee bridge and mini-humbucker pups installed...looking forward to getting that guitar back - I've been missing it!

+1

Sweet, let us know how you like those.

Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 08:41:06 PM »

Sweet, let us know how you like those.
  +1 Me with 3 Bakersfields and none with the new Larrivee PUPS  mad

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: