Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RS4 Lollar pickups, tele sound?  (Read 3541 times)
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2012, 11:50:23 PM »

Squier makes a couple of very nice Tele's for about the price of a boutique pickups change (around $375/new, $250 used).

Sometimes you spend more money trying to change a guitar (or amp - through tube and speaker changes) than it costs to just buy another instrument. A couple years ago I bought an SX "Tele" from Rondo Music for $59 on sale (lists for around $109 today), and it has one of the best Tele bridge pickups I've ever heard. Twang and punch that is just amazing.  (Pic below - with a few mods, like added Strat pickup in the neck).

SX are INCREDIBLE values.  My bass is an SX.  If you want to hear a chickin' picker that rocks a whole bunch of SX (he bought several to match his outfits!) there's a guy that's in the south Florida area that goes by Lefty Jay Smith who is the guy who convinced me that using SX for performance was fine.  He sent me some photos of the internal wiring and shielding, and those guitars had much more work in them than my MIM Fat Strat to help keep the hum/buzz to a minimum.  I did take a look under the pickguard of my bass and I was very impressed.  If I ever get the jones for a Tele sound, I will go with SX.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
SouthpawGuy

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2012, 07:33:19 PM »

Well, "P-rail" means pretty much what it says: 'P' for a P-90, and 'rail' for a rail-topped (or rail slug) single coil pickup.

Well yes  but there have been a few different examples of non standard humbucker sized pickups before. Duncan make the Stag Mag, DiMarzio have one called the Bluesbucker, Fralin has the Unbucker, and I'm sure there are more. It would be interesting to hear the Larrivee approach.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2012, 08:23:14 PM »

Well yes  but there have been a few different examples of non standard humbucker sized pickups before. Duncan make the Stag Mag, DiMarzio have one called the Bluesbucker, Fralin has the Unbucker, and I'm sure there are more. It would be interesting to hear the Larrivee approach.

I assume if Matthew referenced the P-rail, then that's the design he's considering "improving upon" in an upcoming pickup design... 

...and I agree; there have been LOTS of different kinds of and different sounding pickups built into a humbucker-sized housing.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: