Why own a slot head Guitar

Started by webberink, August 22, 2012, 03:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have thirsted after a slot head steel string guitar for years (eg Larrivee OO and OOO-50 & 60)  I have never been able to justify purchasing one on purely technical or musical grounds.  Anyone care to bail me out.  I am only interested in the technical and musical advantages to the slot head configuration, not aesthetic ones (the aesthetics already have me hooked).
I would be really interested in anything you can offer.
Dave
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

Have slotheads on my Martin OO and classical.  I prefer the ergonomics of tuning with a SH.  The SH also increases the break angle which is supposed to increase sustain.  Technically, there's less mass there though... so idk... I'm not rich enough to compare and even if I were I probably wouldn't care.

Other folks will say changing strings on a SH is a real PIA but I've found it to take no extra trouble or time than stringing up a paddle head.  There's a method for everything...

If you're already hooked just do it !

Phil

I'd like to help you out but my honest opinion is that any advantage to a slothead on musical grounds is iffy at best.   there may be a slight increase in sustain but I doubt that it's enough to actually notice with your own ears.

Now, the coolness factor is something else again. I do like the way they look;  it's a vintage look that I appreciate.   I have a 000-50 slothead but I don't think it would sound any different with a regular paddlehead to be honest. 

I definitely notice a difference in the sound of my Taylor XXX-RS. The slot head and the short scale give it a nice, mellow tone.
Re-stringing is, I'll admit, a bit of a pain...but well worth it to my ears!  :tongue:
"Time flies like an arrow..Fruit flies like a banana"
Townes Van Zandt

The break angle on the nut by the two E strings is greater because those strings' machines are closest to the nut and the other 4 strings' posts sit relatively lower than on paddle heads, hence more pressure on the nut and more sustain.

I persoanally love the look of slotted heads, the only (less favoured) aspect is changing strings - it is not as easy as on paddle heads, and care must be taken not to scratch the head stock when doing so...

It isn't a deal breaker for me though.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

i like the look of a slot, and went in search of one. but, when i played a P series Larri i knew it was the sound i was after so it was a standard peg head for me. i would have loved a 00 in a Larri, but with the scarcity i couldn't miss out on the parlor i went with considering the price.
i used to agitate for sedition. now i advocate sedation.

Well, guitars always play better after they drink blood, so slotheads sound better because you will bleed more after restringing them.

Happy?

Not much difference in slot vs paddle...however, 12 frets to the neck absolutely changes the tone on a guitar, speaking from the perspective of a hogtop.  I'm a huge fan.  I played 2 Martin 000-15 (14 frets) and 2 000-15s (12 fret slot) in the same store side by side and both slot heads were significantly better than the 14 fretters.  Added bonus...if you want to play slide, it's heaven to just slide on down till your hand stops at the heel and you can do your thing right there on the 12th fret. 
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

WHY OWN A SLOT HEAD.  It's really very simple. You really, really want one.

You like your paddle head guitars and they sound great etc., but you always have this nagging in the back of your mind, "If only I could have gotten this in a slot head version".

So if you are like me and many others , you finally get one and thats it. No more asking "WHY". :wave

I want one also.  Especially an SD.  Please?  Pretty please?
This ain't quite heaven and it ain't quite hell
ain't no angels playin harps
ain't no devils with tails

Larrivee OO-03R
Martin D-18

Quote from: dependan on August 23, 2012, 01:41:59 PM
   WHY OWN A SLOT HEAD.  It's really very simple. You really, really want one.

You like your paddle head guitars and they sound great etc., but you always have this nagging in the back of your mind, "If only I could have gotten this in a slot head version".

So if you are like me and many others , you finally get one and thats it. No more asking "WHY". :wave

thanks alot danny. go ahead and put words in my mouth. :crying:
i used to agitate for sedition. now i advocate sedation.

So you can be goofily, deliriously happy? 

Perhaps maniacally happy?    :laughin:
"Music is too important to be left to professionals."

It's photos like that make me glad it's "Guitar of the Month" and not "Guitarist of the Month" ...  :humour:

Dang if Larrivee don't do the best TSB  :drool:

Quote from: CJ on August 25, 2012, 08:22:08 AM
It's photos like that make me glad it's "Guitar of the Month" and not "Guitarist of the Month" ...  :humour:

Well, that hurt.

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 25, 2012, 09:08:37 AM

Swiped.

Would it make you feel better if I posted up a pic of me from the 1970's when I did gigs while wearing a light blue polyester leisure suit with paisley shirt and collar points that reached half way to my elbows?  :yak:

Quote from: CJ on August 25, 2012, 12:57:14 PM
Swiped.

Would it make you feel better if I posted up a pic of me from the 1970's when I did gigs while wearing a light blue polyester leisure suit with paisley shirt and collar points that reached half way to my elbows?  :yak:

It would make ME feel better.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar