My L-05 sounds HUGE now; here's why...

Started by Ian, August 25, 2012, 02:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My beloved L-05 has had a magnificent summer. It sounds and plays better than ever before, and I've been gigging it like crazy as a result. I've done some things differently in the last few months,and I firmly believe it's produced these results.
1) I installed a Larrivee Bone saddle, HUGE difference!! The Tone is incredible; the Lows are punchier,Mids and Trebles are sweeter. The guitar is "Drier" sounding too.
2) I stopped using my humidifier about 6 weeks ago.
3) Replaced the crappy Fishman piezio pickup with a K&K. It sounds amazing plugged in now, and I've been using it live every chance I get.
4) I did 3-4 Toneright treatments over the Spring, and it really made the guitar not only louder, but more responsive ( for some reason).
5) Playing lots of Gypsy Jazz on my Gitane. The nature of the right hand in that style,is more forcefull...and it's affected me,(lol).

Of course, the more you play an instrument, the better it sounds. But, all these little changes put together...makes me play it more often. Now, being the Summer gig season....there's more opportunity to play Acoustic's, backing up Fiddlers,Singer/Songwriters,and just gigs in general, but it's now a much better version of itself.
All good!!!
Larrivee L-05[brGitane' DG-300 & DG-250 ] 2009 Fender RW Telecaster (Barden pickups/bridge)
97 Telecaster Plus
87 Telecaster
01 Warmoth Tele

01 Danelectro Baritone
  DR.Z MAZ 38 SR,
Visual Sound Route 66/H2o[Breedlove 00 Mandolin,Banjo's,

"...never could stand that dog..."Tom Waits

:thumbsup

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Sounds like you have it played in. The gloss models are sure pretty but they seem to suffer from the extra encapsulation in poly.
   The 2004 model I have needs to be played a lot more. The frets don't even show wear yet, so the guitar is far from opening up.

I'm glad to hear that there is such a notable improvement.  Keeps GAS at bay when the guitar you have just sounds better and better.  I haven't gone the bone saddle route yet, but that  should be on the agenda.  So you installed the bone saddle before you did the Tonerite?  Of the two, which made more of a difference?  Just curious.  Thanks for sharing your experience.

Actually, I did the Tonerite first,a few months ago. I'm thinking the Saddle and stopping the Humidifier for a few weeks made the biggest difference as far as non-playing stuff. But , even with a guitar that gets played alot, and for a few years (8 in this case),it'll continue to evolve and open up. In any case, it sounds and plays better than ever,and I'm using it like crazy again!! Boy is it a Loud guitar now!!
Larrivee L-05[brGitane' DG-300 & DG-250 ] 2009 Fender RW Telecaster (Barden pickups/bridge)
97 Telecaster Plus
87 Telecaster
01 Warmoth Tele

01 Danelectro Baritone
  DR.Z MAZ 38 SR,

Quote from: ryler on August 26, 2012, 07:53:21 AM
Keeps GAS at bay when the guitar you have just sounds better and better. 

I wish. Trouble is, they might all sound better and better.  :blush:

Glad it sounds better.  My guess is it's #5 in your list that's the biggest contributor to the "guitar's" change in tone.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Thats entirely possible!!
97 Telecaster Plus
87 Telecaster
01 Warmoth Tele

01 Danelectro Baritone
  DR.Z MAZ 38 SR,