Top Warping Near Lower Bout

Started by NewStrings, June 23, 2003, 06:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem (if you even can call it a problem!).  The lower bout between the bridge and the bottom has a slight dip in it that is fairly noticable.  It is an OM05 model and is about a year and half old.  It has been carefully humidified since I've owned it (bought it used).  I really don't think it affects the sound and it seem structurely sound, so it's not a big deal.  I was was just wondering if anyone else on this forum has had any experience with this type of problem?  If any want to see pictures of the warping, please repond with your email address and I will forward.

Thanks,

NewStrings
Lord of the STRINGS * Kronbauer TDK *  Taylor 614ce  *  Larrivee LV-03RE  *  Taylor 810ce  *  Martin D-18 Custom  *  Gibson ES - Les Paul  *  Gibson J-45  *  Fender Telecaster  *  Jason Romero banjo  *   National Estralita Resonator * Muth mandolin

sometime's guitars get what's called belly warp.It occur's just behind the bridge.No big deal,but you should have it checked out anyway
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Any chance you live in a high humidity zone? When a guitar gets overly humidified it tends to belly up below the bridge more than normal. Take it into a less humid area for awhile and see if the belly gets less. But, you know, a little bulge below the bridge is perfectly normal. It is the bridge pulling the top up as it rotates due to the tension of the strings.

Strange, when it gets warm and humid I tend to belly up around the belt line just like my guitar. Hmmm!

Griff
Larrivée: LJ-10 Custom (Gryphon)
L-10-12 (Bell Tower)
Parlour Koa Special Edition (Sweet Baby)
Gibson: 1951 Southern Jumbo ('Tiger')

Thanks folks for your advice, I appreciate it.
In answer to your question about my climate, I live in what I call a "humidity challenged" part of the planet.  I live on the east coast of Canada where we have long winters and little humidity.  I constantly have to add humidity to the room to bring it up to 45-50 range.  Except for tonight, as we speak it's at 60%.  The guitar was purchased used as I mentioned, from the west coast.  That might explain where the belly bulge started.  

Again, thanks for your all your feedback, I appreciate your help.

Now, for some good East coast lobster, shrimp, mussels etc. so I can add on to MY belly bulge!!!  Just kidding, couldn't afford all those fine things... all my money is spent on guitars!!!!

NewStrings
Lord of the STRINGS * Kronbauer TDK *  Taylor 614ce  *  Larrivee LV-03RE  *  Taylor 810ce  *  Martin D-18 Custom  *  Gibson ES - Les Paul  *  Gibson J-45  *  Fender Telecaster  *  Jason Romero banjo  *   National Estralita Resonator * Muth mandolin

You stated that it has a "dip" in it . . . I take that to mean it concaves down, not bellying up.  If so, then it would not be getting enough humidity.  Are you noticing any sharp ends on the frets that weren't there before?  That along with some "buzzing" that wasn't there before are also indicators of a too dry guitar.
Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom

Thanks Roman for your observations... I think you are right on the money with the "lack of humidity" theory.  Since I purchase the guitar used (about 1 year old), the previous owner most likely did not take the care necessary to maintain the right humidity level.  Since I bought the guitar, I have made sure humidity remains between 45-50% but the damage has already done.  I could feel the fret wires on the edge of the neck a little bit too when I first got it, but no more.  All is well now but my concern is still about the long term effects (if any) on the structural integrety of the guitar.

Again, thanks for your response,

NewStrings

As long as you don't have any cracks, loose bracing or other related damage then you shouldn't be concerned.  Remember, a lot (most) of the old guitars (some of mine included) weren't maintained properly for years and years and the only thing that they need (or will need) is a neck reset.  But, that's normal, even when the humidity is properly maintained.

Enjoy!
Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55