Semi hollow bodies

Started by robwms, August 17, 2012, 05:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geez, I thought I had all the guitars I would ever want or need, but seeing these hollow bodies, oh my goodness.  ST, your last post of the green guitar has me so intrigued as I've become such a huge P90 fan.  What the heck is that thing, anyways?
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

I just added links to my post above.

Unexpected (and the latest  and a  review  and video review ).

This thing is a MONSTER, from silky subtle to screamin' demon and at an ounce or two over 7 pounds, it's effortless to wear and play all night. The body is tiny for a semi, (actually it's pretty much hollow), but no bad body feedback that I could induce.  Check out the review links above.  I just measured, and the lower bout is 12".

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on August 19, 2012, 03:44:00 AM
Geez, I thought I had all the guitars I would ever want or need, but seeing these hollow bodies, oh my goodness.  ST, your last post of the green guitar has me so intrigued as I'm such a huge P90 fan.  What the heck is that thing, anyways?

Mine has a stop-tail bridge but there is a replacement bridge with tremolo available from Schaller. It's $300 CDN special order (non-refundable), but it does not require any modifications, just swap it in.  I'm going to play this thing for a few months and see how I feel about investing more $$$ into it.   I was quite happy with the stop-tail bridge until I saw the video review, but I've got other choices if I want that kind of sound.  

Hi Kurt,

Two more shots (the cat refused to move).

Edit:
And since you mentioned P90s this solid body below  was my first guitar with P90s.  I got it a few months ago and that experience is the reason I even looked at the Flaxwood (above).

I'm really going to have to take another crack at getting a decent picture of this one.  Tough one to capture.

P90's rule.ST is an Ibanez George Benson? great guitars...The Epiphone Emporer Regent is a 15 inch lower bout version of the 14 inch lower bout Benson.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Hi unclrob,

Quote from: unclrob on August 19, 2012, 10:46:57 AM
P90's rule.ST is an Ibanez George Benson? great guitars...The Epiphone Emporer Regent is a 15 inch lower bout version of the 14 inch lower bout Benson.

Good eye. Mine is from the first year of production ...

1978 Ibanez GB10

Purists will cringe - but yes, that is a Roland GK2a pickup on there.

I see you also have a MIDI pu on it.You've got a MIDI pu on a couple of your hollow bodies don't you?I'm still using the old Roland GR33 with the GK2 pu.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Hi unclrob,

Quote from: unclrob on August 19, 2012, 03:42:44 PM
I see you also have a MIDI pu on it.You've got a MIDI pu on a couple of your hollow bodies don't you?I'm still using the old Roland GR33 with the GK2 pu.

We've had part of this conversation voice-to-voice what - a year ago maybe. You were looking for a shorter 13 pin cable.

I've been using the Roland Guitar Synth stuff since the GR50 (late 80's I think).
http://media.rolandus.com/manuals/GR-50_OM.pdf

That was the last GR model for me.  I didn't get into the whole Guitar Synth thing (or midi), but I really liked the Virtual Guitar concept and execution.

I have used every generation of the Virtual Guitar systems and I'm up to the VG99 now.

Ya I got a couple of cable's.3-6ft,3-12ft and 2-25ft.I'm just got givin an old Ensonic sound canvas from a friend for free that allows me to record all sorts of sounds and run them thru the GR33.I also got a bunch of tone's from him that we made together years ago.It was kinda cool hearing my old Leo Fender era Music Man bass,and a 3 piece string group.We recorded a full octive of each string from attach thru decay so I should be able to sound like a violi,viola and cello which is way cool.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

With respect to your original post check out the reverend Pete Anderson model for their Hollowbody.  It's a P90 guitar(stock) with a few enhancement over most semi hollow's. First Pete wanted a Hollowbody with a bigsby that stayed in tune(and it does) and also wanted the best of a 335 Gibson and a Gretsh without the intonation and feedback problems they can often have.(all part of the charm I guess)
Check em out.  They have standard locking tuners, stay in tune and are great guitars!
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not

Thanks a lot guys, you've made it really easy for me. I've narrowed my list down to the following (in alphabetic order):

Epiphone Regent
Flaxwood Liekki, Rautia, CC Custom
Gibson ES 165, 175, 335, 339
Gretsch Country Club
Heritage 535, 575, 576, Prospect, Millenium
Ibanez GB10, AGS83
Reverend Pete Anderson

:wacko: :arrow :wacko: :roll

Maybe before I finish researching all of these, Larrivee will make my choice easy by announcing their own semi-hollow body!   :bgrin:

Seriously, thanks to everyone for posting their suggestions and phenomenal pictures. It shows what a great resource this forum is.

:cheers
Rob

Larrivee D-05
Larrivee RS-4 Custom (Arctic White)

By Univox circa 1978. It's had all the hardware replaced except one original pickup. Gibson humbucker in the bridge position, Grovers, Tune-o-matic bridge. new heavier trapeze tail piece. This is a nice guitar. I was told by the guy who used to run the Univox site that this guitar didn't exist. That must make it kind of special. 

G&L ASAT Bluesboy semi hollow

and a G&L ASAT Deluxe semi hollow

The Bluesboy has a Duncan Seth Lover in the neck and a G&L MFD in the bridge. The Deluxe has an F spaced Duncan JB in the bridge and a G&L humbucker in the neck. Both have birds eye maple necks.

Quote from: robwms on August 20, 2012, 10:13:08 PM
Thanks a lot guys, you've made it really easy for me. I've narrowed my list down to the following (in alphabetic order):

Epiphone Regent
Flaxwood Liekki, Rautia, CC Custom
Gibson ES 165, 175, 335, 339
Gretsch Country Club
Heritage 535, 575, 576, Prospect, Millenium
Ibanez GB10, AGS83
Reverend Pete Anderson

:wacko: :arrow :wacko: :roll

Maybe before I finish researching all of these, Larrivee will make my choice easy by announcing their own semi-hollow body!   :bgrin:

Seriously, thanks to everyone for posting their suggestions and phenomenal pictures. It shows what a great resource this forum is.

:cheers

Rob, i may be putting my Ibanez up for sale. i need to review some personal finances to be sure. but if you're interested i'll sure let you know.
i used to agitate for sedition. now i advocate sedation.

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 20, 2012, 10:25:14 PM
By Univox circa 1978. It's had all the hardware replaced except one original pickup. Gibson humbucker in the bridge position, Grovers, Tune-o-matic bridge. new heavier trapeze tail piece. This is a nice guitar. I was told by the guy who used to run the Univox site that this guitar didn't exist. That must make it kind of special. 

Duc I have a friend in Germany who had one,he's trying to see if he has any pix.So this may have been one of those guitars that wasn't meant for export to the US but just for the European and Asian markets.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on August 21, 2012, 12:27:02 PM
Duc I have a friend in Germany who had one,he's trying to see if he has any pix.So this may have been one of those guitars that wasn't meant for export to the US but just for the European and Asian markets.

Every other similar f-holed Univox that I've seen is easily distinguishable from a real 335 at a glance. This one is not. That's why he said it didn't exist, I'd guess. I can't access the Univox page, for some reason. Maybe when I get home.   

I should not have looked at that Heritage 576 in natural.  Shame on me.  But, here's what I'm telling myself - it has a tune-o-matic bridge, which I still can't stand.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on August 31, 2012, 06:01:25 PM
I should not have looked at that Heritage 576 in natural.  Shame on me.  But, here's what I'm telling myself - it has a tune-o-matic bridge, which I still can't stand.

Yes, it's a horrible, horrible thing.  :bgrin:

If I'm not mistaken you can order these up with the floating wood bridge,if not its an easy fix to convert it to one. :wink:

OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on September 01, 2012, 09:21:25 AM
If I'm not mistaken you can order these up with the floating wood bridge,if not its an easy fix to convert it to one. :wink:

Rob, my issue is more with picking hand to top orientation.  I'm SO used to my palm being closer to the top, that anything that puts the strings so high over the top is like trying to write left-handed.  It's why I'm so intrigued with the Epiphone Nighthawk Custom which is a set neck, stop tail, 3 pickup (neck mini HB, middle single coil, tail slanted HB with coil tapping on the HB) short scale, angled headstock axe.  I've played one at a store and absolutely loved it's Strat feel, and combo Strat/SG/Les Paul sound.  I don't know if you can do an archtop with a stop tail like a stop-tail strat, but I would be interested.

Rewind 25 years ago, I had a single coil pup Epiphone deep hollow body (don't know the model number) that I thought was un-cool.  Should have kept that thing!  It was given to me and I turned it down.  It had a wooden compensated bridge/saddle.  To this day, I don't know what model it was.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud