Need some name's and numbers of trusted tech's for

Started by unclrob, August 03, 2012, 10:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Resetting and repairing my Guild JF30/12.This is the first time that I don't want to do my own work on MY guitar.This is a very special guitar to me as it was a birthday/xmas gift from my then girlfriend later too be the better half in my life.I have decided too forgo a new 12 string since I LOVE this one so much and the Boss has said that this time an outside tech is the way to go because I would be so anal about the job myself.I still need to sell the Princeton to cover the cost.I have friends in Nville who I trust but they are so in the weeds or out on the road that I must search elsewhere for this.So since I trust you loonies so much I'm asking you all for help.Thanks.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Well Rob an ol saying around my parts is If you want something done right you best do it.........
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I don't see any reason why you couldn't just "revive" it yourself.  Why pay someone else to do it when you are perfectly capable.  Plus you know the guitar better than anyone else on the planet so it should be easy to zero in on what tweaks it needs.  You have always emphasized getting to know how a player plays the guitar and what their objective is before doing a setup customized for that player.  This time that player is you, the same guy that is doing the setup.  What can be more perfect than that?

Maybe I'm missing something here.  Is it a major repair that is needed or?

Just my thoughts.

Kurt
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Marty Reynolds at The Podium in Minneapolis is fantastic at restoring old guitars. Heck of a good guy. We've never met Rob but you certainly remind me of him. I'm sure you can contact there and tell him I sent you.

Here we are discussing an old Harmony which he restored. Nice one! 

Here he is approvingly looking over my, new at the time, OOO-50 TSB. 

Here's an old Sovereign that he restored.

I had my 1976 Martin D12-28 restored under warranty by J Thomas Davis Luthier in Columbus, Ohio.  Apart from 30+ years of dings, he did a neck reset, bridge and bridgeplate replacement under warranty and refretted it for me.  Played like new again - I can't say enough about his work!

Don't know if he's a Guild warranty shop, but he does Martin, Taylor and other brands as a factory service center...
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart   Guitar" SJ; Osage Orange; Master Grade Italian Spruce; Inlay by Jimi Wingert   :D
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar + Italian double top
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl
Seagull Parlor in Nashville high tuning

Kurt yes I'm capable of doing the job but for this one I think I'm too close to the patiant.The neck has shifted foward enough to cause top damage by the soundhole.On top of that I keep remembering what a couple of my teachers use to say too me "its like the saying goes only a fool is his own lawyer".Then I remember when it came to there instruments I was the guy who did the work not them.I've left a message for Jim at Trinity and on Monday I check in with Mr. Reynolds and Mr. Davis.If you chold PM me there numbers that would help.Thanks.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Depends if location is important to you.  I can recommend two who I have used, one in New Jersey, one in New York. 
You are probably familiar with Mandolin Brothers in Staten Island, address 629 Forest Avenue, Staten Island, New York, phone 718.981.8585.  Whenever I am there they have guitars for repair from big name stars from around the world.  They set up my Guild 6 string.
Petillo Masterpiece Guitars, 1206 Herbert Avenue, Ocean, New Jersey 07712, phone 732.531.6338.  Dave Petillo and his father, Phil (recently deceased) have been working on Springsteen's guitars from before anyone knew his name.  Dave recently built a magnificent guitar for Bruce.  I had told Dave at the time that if Springsteen couldn't come up with the money, I would buy the guitar  :humour:  Dave has done great work on my Larrivee OM-05.
I recommend both highly.  Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

Quote from: unclrob on August 04, 2012, 09:37:31 AM
Kurt yes I'm capable of doing the job but for this one I think I'm too close to the patiant.The neck has shifted foward enough to cause top damage by the soundhole.On top of that I keep remembering what a couple of my teachers use to say too me "its like the saying goes only a fool is his own lawyer".Then I remember when it came to there instruments I was the guy who did the work not them.I've left a message for Jim at Trinity and on Monday I check in with Mr. Reynolds and Mr. Davis.If you chold PM me there numbers that would help.Thanks.

http://www.thepodium.com/t-repair.aspx

Thanks to all but got a call back from the Trinity people and after talking I think I'm going to go with them but I still plan on calling the others just to feel them out.Anyway still need to move the Princeton first so I can pay for the job.hint hint hint....... :wave
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

:thumb just need to move off my Princeton.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks