WHO IS THE MOST......?

Started by abalone at last, July 28, 2012, 06:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: hadden on October 20, 2012, 07:47:30 AM
Beiber has a fair amount of talent as a young musician underneath that disposable pop for tween girls. In terms of chops I don't think Taylor is much of a player, though I am a fan of his music. Campbell was a typical Nashville monster guitarist.

I've said the same thing about the Bieber - but usually get laughed at for saying it.

As for underrated acoustic players, someone recently reminded me of Mark O'Connor - acoustic EVERYTHING!

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

JEFF MONKMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :beer
"You can observe alot just by watching." Yogi Berra

This guy's probably known more for his ethereal electric guitar sound from the 60's but I've always appreciated his acoustic stuff.

Jorma Kaukonen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77-vQJtbFas&feature=related

Alex Lifeson.......Lets hope Rush gets in the R&R Hall of Fame this year.

Elliot Smith was awfully good at fingerpicking folk melodies and using great chord changes in his rhythm playing. I also really enjoy Stephen Stills on the acoustic. My favorite guitarist of all time has to be Chris Whitley - just a singular , unique musical talent. I guess Stills isn't really that under rated , but when he plays acoustic his timing and phrasing blow me away.
Larrivee D03RE
Fender Nashville B-Bender Tele
Republic Tricone
various banjo , mandolins, and lap steels

Nick Drake.
L-03 Italian Spruce

...i'm beginning to think its
                                                      MrPCT57

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaNcAhGciLk&feature=plcp
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric

very cool to see Bromberg called out.  :+1: on Kaukonen as well.

A guy that I've enjoyed for years, but doesn't get a ton of press is Willy Porter out of Milwaukee. Hot shot guitar player who has focused more on songwriting than creating platforms to blow you away with his chops, but man, he's got the chops.

forgive the guild promo...but it shows a bit of his prowess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRgU5kNDanw
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - Eliot

2004 LV-03/Fishman Ellipse
2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

honorable mentions: Heritage 535, Bourgeois/Washburn D55 "Cherokee"

After finding his show I'd add Marty Stuart and his guitar player who I only know as couz,both really tastefull players.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I don't get how famous and quite successful guitar players can be considered underrated. OTOH, what's the point of naming someone who no one's ever heard of, without giving some indication of his/her skill (thanks Tio). Might as well just make up a name. Irving Watson, of Mousetrap Saskatchewan is the most underrated player ever! Too bad you'll never hear him.   :?  

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 19, 2012, 02:06:07 PM
I don't get how famous and quite successful guitar players can be considered underrated. OTOH, what's the point of naming someone who no one's ever heard of, without giving some indication of his/her skill (thanks Tio). Might as well just make up a name. Irving Watson, of Mousetrap Saskatchewan is the most underrated player ever! Too bad you'll never hear him.   :?   
The whole point is that we really needed for you to say something witty and cool. It keeps US from dozing off talking about strings and tuner buttons.

:roll
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

HA! So ... perhaps what we really want to talk about is ... why isn't my favourite guitar player your favourite guitar player too?  :beer   

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 19, 2012, 02:36:46 PM
HA! So ... perhaps what we really want to talk about is ... why isn't my favourite guitar player your favourite guitar player too?  :beer   
Now yer talkin.

Quote from: hadden on October 23, 2012, 04:29:33 PM
Nick Drake.

+1. And John Martyn and Richard Thompson (since we're talking Brit acoustics (although Thompson's no slouch on electric))
OMV-40
OM-3R
LV-03
Martin OMC-15E
Late 70's Univox Acoustic
Kentucky Mandolin

Quote from: unclrob on November 19, 2012, 01:11:13 PM
After finding his show I'd add Marty Stuart and his guitar player who I only know as couz,both really tastefull players.

+1 unclrob

He was the big surprise to me at the annual "Guitar Town" which happens in Copper Mountain resort in CO every August.  This is where I got to stand within inches of Tommy Emmanuel (he was playing his Maton) as he just mesmerized with a non-stop hour+ show.

For those of you in Colorado or anywhere near:  "Guitar Town" is a pilgrimage-worthy destination.  An entire weekend of free concerts by the guitar gods, known and relatively unknown.

http://villageatcopper.com/guitarTown/  August 9-11, 2013.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I'm not sure what qualifies someone as underrated? If it's just obscure, maybe Duck Baker. I agree with the mentions of Bromberg, too

This is my second post, but:

:donut :donut
Larrivee OMV-05e

there are a couple of CCM artists who can play quite well but aren't really recognized for their playing. Steven Curtis Chapman comes to mind as well as Josh Wilson. Jimmy Needham isn't too bad either.
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

I'm going to have to say Jim Hurst, he's fairly well know in the progress bluegrass circle, although his style is a bit jazzy with a mix of funk, but not really out side of it. He is phenomenal! He is currently touring solo and has done a couple albums solo aswell. You'd never now that he's the only one playing until you either look up or read the liner notes!. In the past he has toured and recorded as a duet with bassest Missy Raines and with the Claire Lynch Band.   :donut2  :donut
My 1st and only guitar purchased 4/15/2013:
a used 2001 Larrivee DV-05e

Can I add Jerry Garcia....
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks