WHO IS THE MOST......?

Started by abalone at last, July 28, 2012, 06:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is the most under rated acoustic guitar player? I'll vote for Greg Lake....very instrumental in performing acoustic guitar at large venues...here he is at California jam...who do you like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoxHGxQw9ws
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric

Tommy Emmanuel. He's pretty good.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

I don't know, but I'm sure it's some rhythm player I've never heard....:)
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Pretty sure it's me. I'm so underrated, I'm unrated. But I'm not that bad. I mean if you've heard of someone, how underrated can they be?  :wink:

Underrated is one word, by the way. 

thanks for the spellcheck....good answers ...therefore the most "underrated"...could be a bass player.....which Greg Lake was/is ...see what I mean.
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric

Quote from: abalone at last on July 29, 2012, 04:25:17 PM
thanks for the spellcheck....good answers ...therefore the most "underrated"...could be a bass player.....which Greg Lake was/is ...see what I mean.

Ah so! I know lots of bass players who are decent guitar players. Something about those big strings. There's a pretty decent underrated guitar player in every town in the country, no doubt. I know several.  

I don't know who is the most underrated, but I'll add "John Lodge" to the mix. He is the bass player for the Moody Blues, and a very good one. (Listen to "Story in your eyes") But he also plays rhythm guitar on some songs while Justin Hayward plays lead.

Greg Lake is a good guitar player.

There are a few famous folks who became famous for other stuff and have been overlooked for how good they are as musicians; Glen Campbell, James Taylor, Justin Beiber... err, no.  :humour:

Anyway, I WAS serious about the first two I mentioned!

Playing bass the past few years has been what forced me to learn the fretboard.  At least on EADG!

Seriously, I'm a strummer and box-pattern player.  I knew the notes on the low E and high e strings by fret.

Being dissatisfied with my keyboard entered bass playing in my home recordings, I bought a cheap SX SPJ 62 bass about 5 years ago (basically a sort-of copy of a 1962 custom P-bass) to see if I couldn't improve with a 'real' bass.  I play with a pick.

I now play regularly in two different church worship teams.  I've learned more about learning notes on the fretboard from this experience, than 25 years of playing at acoustic guitar. 

If you ever get a chance to take a John Standefer workshop in your area (John is a Larrivée endorsed artist and Winfield winner amongst other honors and accolades), he pounds home the message that learning all the notes on the fretboard is one of the keys to creative and comfortable lead playing and rhythm playing, for that matter.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on July 30, 2012, 12:06:11 PM
Playing bass the past few years has been what forced me to learn the fretboard.  At least on EADG!

Seriously, I'm a strummer and box-pattern player.  I knew the notes on the low E and high e strings by fret.

Being dissatisfied with my keyboard entered bass playing in my home recordings, I bought a cheap SX SPJ 62 bass about 5 years ago (basically a sort-of copy of a 1962 custom P-bass) to see if I couldn't improve with a 'real' bass.  I play with a pick.

I now play regularly in two different church worship teams.  I've learned more about learning notes on the fretboard from this experience, than 25 years of playing at acoustic guitar. 

If you ever get a chance to take a John Standefer workshop in your area (John is a Larrivée endorsed artist and Winfield winner amongst other honors and accolades), he pounds home the message that learning all the notes on the fretboard is one of the keys to creative and comfortable lead playing and rhythm playing, for that matter.

So, are you saying you are the most underated bass player out there?  :wink:

Quote from: rockstar_not on July 30, 2012, 12:06:11 PM

Amen. The ability to name every note you play is a big step towards ... underratedness.  :thumb

Quote from: tubeornot2b on September 05, 2012, 11:28:52 PM
David Bromberg.

I can get behind that. :+1:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: tubeornot2b on September 05, 2012, 11:28:52 PM
David Bromberg.

Yes, Bromberg is soooo good, and so is another David...  Rawlings that is.  David Rawlings is definitely my current favorite.

DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

Dennis Cahill

Plays Irish music and is the ace accompanist for County Clare fiddle player Martin Hayes
If it sounds good, it is good.

QuoteYes, Bromberg is soooo good, and so is another David...  Rawlings that is.  David Rawlings is definitely my current favorite.

Rawlings is fantastic.  Michael Daves is fantastic also.
This ain't quite heaven and it ain't quite hell
ain't no angels playin harps
ain't no devils with tails

Larrivee OO-03R
Martin D-18

Ever heard of this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmzMIvW_HX4

He's got my vote!

f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Quote from: abalone at last on July 28, 2012, 06:40:28 PM
Who is the most under rated acoustic guitar player? I'll vote for Greg Lake....very instrumental in performing acoustic guitar at large venues...here he is at California jam...who do you like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoxHGxQw9ws

Beautiful and all the while chewing gum.  :laughin:
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

The late Terry Kath of the band Chicago, I know he was mostly an electric player , but his knowledge of
chords and his feel were so damn good.
Dave

Quote from: CZERO9RW on July 30, 2012, 11:05:01 AM
There are a few famous folks who became famous for other stuff and have been overlooked for how good they are as musicians; Glen Campbell, James Taylor, Justin Beiber... err, no.  :humour:

Anyway, I WAS serious about the first two I mentioned!
Beiber has a fair amount of talent as a young musician underneath that disposable pop for tween girls. In terms of chops I don't think Taylor is much of a player, though I am a fan of his music. Campbell was a typical Nashville monster guitarist.
L-03 Italian Spruce