Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Awesome Electric Experience  (Read 1028 times)
bacchus

Ignore
« on: July 22, 2012, 03:32:25 PM »

I was wandering around yesterday during a "summerfest" event in town when I stumbled upon a fairly new (9 months old) music store that I hadn't been to.  I decided to drag my girlfriend and her folks in there with me.  This store apparently only carries super high end, fancy, vintage gear so I was definitely out of my element.  Anyway, I was chatting with the owner about some of the stuff he had and inquiring about some guitars he had in a case.  He mentioned some crazy vintage teles, strats, rickenbakers, etc.  The ones that caught my attention were a genuine 56 goldtop LP and a 59 'burst.  The owner asked me if I wanted to play one of them, and I politely declined as 1) I have a debilitating shyness about playing loudly in stores and 2) my hands were dirty and covered in sunscreen.  He insisted, mentioned that much dirtier people had played that guitar, and pulled out the 59 and placed it in my hand.  He then proceeded to take me over to his own personal 69 Marshall stack and plugged me in.  I sheepishly played with the guitar volume at 1 in order to not bother anyone, he came back in and said something along the lines of "if you want "the" sound out of that you have to do this" and cranked the guitar.  Wow... Just... Wow.  I stopped caring and just jammed on that thing.  It was an incredible experience.  For all I know the fact that it was vintage could have had nothing to do with it as I have never really played an LP through a Marshall at all.  But man, that was such an incredible experience.  I haven't had many opportunities like that and it just blew me away.  Honestly, this made me quite a bit more excited about receiving my nice new FV and amp. 

Has anyone else had an awesome experience like this that they can remember?  Indulge us.

Cameron

Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 03:27:20 AM »

I get to have that experience once in a while when no one else is home ('cept the cats - poor things!)... it's a whole different world when you can turn an amp up and get it into the optimal range to cook the tubes a little.

That's also the time when you discover new things about your stomp boxes - they also need to be set up differently - and respond differently - with your amp cranked. Sometimes you realize that your stomp boxes are actually much better than you realized, too!

You may also discover that it really does work to back off the volume on your guitar to get a cleaner tone (but still with a little edge or "hair" on it), then turn back up to really add the drive tones - glorious & righteous!!!

bowdown bowdown

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
bacchus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 04:21:56 PM »

Thanks for the reply Mikeymac,

I was just so excited to have been able to play what is considered by many a "holy grail" guitar through such a sweet, vintage, "pure rock," amp.  Everything sounded so good.  It was like every note on every string was reaching out and punching me in the throat, in a good way.  I dont have many people around that particularly care about this stuff (which is understandable), but I was definitely excited to have the experience and needed to tell someone.  I'll never own a '59 LP, since that would cost more than my house, but I was grateful to play one.

I should, however, have a nice new tube amp in tomorrow.  I am definitely looking forward to putting that through it's paces.  And one of these days, I should also have a nice new guitar...

Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 08:12:02 PM »

I should, however, have a nice new tube amp in tomorrow.  I am definitely looking forward to putting that through it's paces.  And one of these days, I should also have a nice new guitar...

You have a lot to look forward to...  bowdown

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: