Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would an L body suit me?  (Read 3455 times)
ickayR

Ignore
« on: July 18, 2012, 05:50:33 PM »

It seems like the dimensions of an L body are the same as a dread,but just a little bit smaller. I keep hearing people rave about the L's though  bowdown

Now,all i do is strict fingerstyle & the last thing I want is the big side of a dread (I never strum or flatpick). Yet it seems like people hear prefer that L tonally.

I was just wondering if maybe an OM or even an LS would benefit me more. What do you guys think? I know the L is more versatile,but I'm not too sure
brandon
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 06:10:34 PM »

If I were strictly a fingerpicker I would not worry about versatility. I would buy the tool that best suits my trade in that regard. For strictly fingerpicking, I would consider an OM or a 000 model more so than a L. This is strictly my opinion and obviously the best piece of advice is to try out each model to see which fits you better.

in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60
ickayR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 06:13:52 PM »

If I were strictly a fingerpicker I would not worry about versatility. I would buy the tool that best suits my trade in that regard. For strictly fingerpicking, I would consider an OM or a 000 model more so than a L. This is strictly my opinion and obviously the best piece of advice is to try out each model to see which fits you better.
That's what i was thinking,when I fingerpick I like my notes to ring out & speak individually. I've never had the privelage of playing a Larrivee :( Sadly, I live in jersey & have never come across a Larrivee near me
brandon
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 06:26:53 PM »

As I'm sure you can tell, everyone here loves them. You won't be disappointed for sure. You can find OM-03 models for under 1k pretty often.....the 000 models do not come quite as cheap and are not near as abundant in my searches. 

Don't get me wrong, I think an L body would suit fingerpicking just not as well as an OM or 000 body style.

Here are two dealers per the Larrivee website in NJ:

Golden Age Fretted Instruments
309 South Avenue West
Westfield, NJ, 07090
(908) 301-0001

Lark Street Music
479 Cedar Lane
Teaneck, NJ 7666
(201) 287-1959
www.larkstreet.com

Happy hunting!!!

in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 06:46:53 PM »

I think for an all around fingerstyle guitar the L body might be better than an OM sized guitar assuming we're talking strictly Larrivee.

Larrivee's are bright guitars; my OM-03MT for example seems to have its peak energy oriented in the upper mid range and its bottom end isn't as full as other guitars. I consider it a semi-niche guitar though. I've also owned an L-03; the larger body lowers the resonant frequency and distributes that energy more evenly throughout the range. I believe with an L body you get a full bottom end while still retaining the brightness and I'd say it's more 'balanced' than the Larrivee OM's I've played. Of the Larrivee OM's I've owned and played I wouldn't want one as an only guitar; with that said though my Santa Cruz OM makes a great all around guitar but tonally is probably closer to an Larrivee L body than a Larrivee OM body. It's really up to what you prefer though.

cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 06:55:31 PM »

I think for an all around fingerstyle guitar the L body might be better than an OM sized guitar assuming we're talking strictly Larrivee.

Larrivee's are bright guitars; my OM-03MT for example seems to have its peak energy oriented in the upper mid range and its bottom end isn't as full as other guitars. I consider it a semi-niche guitar though. I've also owned an L-03; the larger body lowers the resonant frequency and distributes that energy more evenly throughout the range. I believe with an L body you get a full bottom end while still retaining the brightness and I'd say it's more 'balanced' than the Larrivee OM's I've played. Of the Larrivee OM's I've owned and played I wouldn't want one as an only guitar; with that said though my Santa Cruz OM makes a great all around guitar but tonally is probably closer to an Larrivee L body than a Larrivee OM body. It's really up to what you prefer though.
+1

The 'L' is sort of a Super OM , or little dread. I finger pick all my guitars and it does great in that role. Two guitars I auditioned it with were a Collings OM-2H Deep body, and a Martin OM-28 Marquis. The Larrivee is bassier, but has a nice open top end, better than the OM-28 Marquis.   Larrivee OM's are lighter sounding compared to the L but very balanced. The L would likely be louder, and could get along in a group strumming when needed.

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
ickayR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 07:31:32 PM »

As I'm sure you can tell, everyone here loves them. You won't be disappointed for sure. You can find OM-03 models for under 1k pretty often.....the 000 models do not come quite as cheap and are not near as abundant in my searches.  

Don't get me wrong, I think an L body would suit fingerpicking just not as well as an OM or 000 body style.

Here are two dealers per the Larrivee website in NJ:

Golden Age Fretted Instruments
309 South Avenue West
Westfield, NJ, 07090
(908) 301-0001

Lark Street Music
479 Cedar Lane
Teaneck, NJ 7666
(201) 287-1959
www.larkstreet.com

Happy hunting!!!
Yeah my budget is around $1500 so an 03 would be nice. Right now I'm looking at a very nice L-05 though.

Thanks for the advice & the links man,really helped. I'll have to drive over there tomorrow  

Wow excellent review,thank you. I actually heard things about OM's not having that "full" sound,if you get what I mean.  The only thing I didn't like about the L,was the fact that it looked too much like a dread. Dreads have never appealed to me & never suited my playing style. Hopefully this L-05 I'm gonna buy gives me a good range of what I can play.
ickayR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 07:39:25 PM »

+1

The 'L' is sort of a Super OM , or little dread. I finger pick all my guitars and it does great in that role. Two guitars I auditioned it with were a Collings OM-2H Deep body, and a Martin OM-28 Marquis. The Larrivee is bassier, but has a nice open top end, better than the OM-28 Marquis.   Larrivee OM's are lighter sounding compared to the L but very balanced. The L would likely be louder, and could get along in a group strumming when needed.

I'm not really one for loudness or bass. I like to focus on how a note rings out & suatain,rather than anything else. I like a more warm & balanced tone than can truly speak a melody. I've had the pleasure of hearing a Santa Cruz FS & was by far the clearest sounding & the notes were so smooth.

I don't do groups,so I can't imagine that would help me too much lol

Thanks for the advice though,got me some good insight as to how an OM plays 
madhat

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 04:17:08 PM »

i play w/ my fingers only- i also play alone- atleast for now...

anyway- i really like OM/000 and 00 size guitars- yet i find the L to be wonderful- w/ plenty of volume, response, balance- and it is actually very comfy.

you really need to play one- i think it might just surprise you! 

madhat
ickayR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 11:11:14 PM »

Well now I can choose between an OM-50e or an LV-05 
madhat

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 11:23:04 PM »

Well now I can choose between an OM-50e or an LV-05 

a wonderful and tough desicion to have to make!  wacko

madhat
ickayR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 11:58:54 PM »

a wonderful and tough desicion to have to make!  wacko

madhat
Weird thing is they're both selling at the same price,but the 05 has a cutaway  drool
AtlasHeating

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 02:42:38 PM »

I don't know why you would think a L looked too much like a Dread. I think a L looks like a Classical Guitar only bigger.
I would be most worried about how it sounds and plays and least worried about how it looks like another model.
ickayR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 05:43:28 PM »

I don't know why you would think a L looked too much like a Dread. I think a L looks like a Classical Guitar only bigger.
I would be most worried about how it sounds and plays and least worried about how it looks like another model.
It had nearly the same dimensions as a dread, & dreads do not feel right at all when playing fingerstyle. That's why.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 06:09:09 PM »

It had nearly the same dimensions as a dread, & dreads do not feel right at all when playing fingerstyle.
Maybe so but an L feels nothing like a Dread to me, An L is much more comfortable to me.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ickayR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 06:26:37 PM »

Maybe so but an L feels nothing like a Dread to me, An L is much more comfortable to me.
Yeah,that's why 'm trying to be open minded here lol. What's your opinion on the OM-50e?
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 07:19:43 PM »

Yeah,that's why 'm trying to be open minded here lol. What's your opinion on the OM-50e?
I am very fond of the OM. It seems it would be perfect for what you describe. I liked my OMV-50 so much I ended up later picking up an omv-10. OM or OMV no difference in volume that I can tell tho that's a debate for another day  wacko

Anyway here is a couple quick shots of my OMV-50 which I just happened to have out in my study this morning.  blush

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ickayR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 09:39:41 PM »

I am very fond of the OM. It seems it would be perfect for what you describe. I liked my OMV-50 so much I ended up later picking up an omv-10. OM or OMV no difference in volume that I can tell tho that's a debate for another day  wacko

Anyway here is a couple quick shots of my OMV-50 which I just happened to have out in my study this morning.  blush
Really? That's interesting,that's a beautiful guitar though. That is a keeper. I have my eyes on this cheap OM50 right now,I might have to pick it up

Only downside is that it has no cutaway  crying
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 01:52:13 AM »

If I could only have one Larrivee, it would be the L body with venetian cutaway. I have a 12 string that rings like a bell, is incredible light to the touch and as JoycefromNS stated, the L body doesn't feel big at all. The other nice thing about an L is that it really sounds nice when tuned down a step and gives you another dimension of the tonal spectrum. 

I have had the opportunity to play quite a few Larrivees over the past 7 years including the L-03R and D-05 (both non-cutaway) that my son's brother in law and his buddy each own.

In a perfect world, you would spend time playing the D, L and OM with a friend along for the ride. I fingerpicked a D-35 from 1977 until 2004 when I got my Larrivee Parlor.

Right now however, I am getting ready to grab my Martin OM-35. Happy hunting.

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
Alvarez Artist AD60SB
Kala Soprano Ukelele
bgfish

Ignore