Repairing Pickguard removal catastrophy

Started by pmsarafin, July 12, 2012, 07:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Having wanted to change out the tortoise shell pick guard on my L-05, I ordered a clear replacement and tried peeling off the old one. Things were going great until I hit a snag, yanked it and ... well the rest is history. Pickguard off, along with a chunk of the finish and some of the wood grain!!!!! Guess there's a substance for safe removal I was aware of needing.

Okay, so before anyone calls me a complete moron, consider that I've taken that into account myself :crying:

Aside from such musings, anyone have any ideas for DIY repair? I feel like having the raw wood vulnerable (without a finish on it) is dangerous (may lead to cracking, whatnot). I'm not much of a cosmetics guy, but do want the guitar to be solidly safe from elements

Thanks for any help!

Cr*p I wanted to call you a moron first and you beat me to it. :wave

Anyway there are a few fix's that you can do but I would suggest that you do some research first so you can see what is involved.One you find something your comfy with practice on something else until your comfy with the job.Go to a flea market or pawn shop and pick up some pos and practice,practice,practice.Frank Ford has the best info on the net so got his site frets.com.

:humour:

Oh ya were are my donuts you moron....xxoo                                                     :cheers
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Hi unclrob! Thanks much for the input. Yeah, I know! I can't BELIEVE I was so stupid (I'm a guitar teacher, ya know.) :nana_guitar

Checked out frets.com and looks legit. So, I think I'll poke around there for ideas.

Oh, BTW: Not sure what donuts are for, but here ya go!  :donut :donut2 :thumb

AAHHHHHH!!!!! A guitar teacher,get the stone's the man needs pelting!!!!!!!!                                                                               :humour:

Check with you favorite tech also he may have a trick or three that he can pass on.

Donuts are a traditional offering of friendship and introduction.Check out the rule's I think they are better explained there.And back at ya!!! :donut :donut :donut
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Stick the same pickguard back on. It will fit perfectly and solve the problem.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K