Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: i installed a set of Curt Mangan's strings on my little P-09R.........  (Read 574 times)
dr.underhill

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2012, 05:18:02 AM »

i finally got around to installing a set of Curt Mangan strings on my parlor last night. to those unfamiliar with Curt's strings they are handmade in beautiful Cortez Colorado using only US made components. after pondering what to choose i contacted Curt and received a quick reply from the man himself. because of the darker timbre of the rosewood body i was looking for a brighter string. Curt suggested that i try a set of his 80/20 bronze. i decided to go with the "coated" 80/20's in a 12-54 gauge. shipping was fast, but because of having installed a set of DR's just a week or so earlier i didn't put them on until Monday evening. install done, stretched, and tuned to pitch now on to a test run. the strings are nice and bright, but without any harshness, they also have a nice smooth bottom tone to them. clarity is excellent, and response for my finger style very pleasing. Curt's coating technology results in a string that, in my opinion, feels just like an un-coated one. rather than being "slick" feeling they display similar "traction" feel (especially the wound strings) as any of the non coated strings i have tried. strings are nice and tight- after putting her to bed last night, i got her back out this afternoon and found that the guitar was still virtually at pitch. only a minute adjustment was necessary to have it back "spot-on" on tuning. i suspect that tomorrow i'll find a guitar in tune, and ready to play.
i think everyone owes themselves, and their instruments at least one set of Curt's strings. i know that i've found my "go to" strings now. i may try a set of his phosphor bronze at some point (just for a reference), but i'm very pleased with the sound and feel of these 80/20's.

i used to agitate for sedition. now i advocate sedation.
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:57:25 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.  I have heard good things about these strings in addition to your info.
Chasjax

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 11:32:59 AM »

This weekend I also installed the 12 - 54 coated fusion Phosphor bronze on my F-III (is/mh) and am VERY HAPPY with them.  Smooth, balanced, nice.  Not cheap, though!

Chas
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 04:45:57 PM »

It's funny. I've been extolling the virtues of Mangans for, what?, 3 years now? I think you'll find that the longevity of the string is pretty incredible, too (and I'm talking just the plain ol' Fusion Matched). They've been my constant "string of choice" and there are a few other people on this forum who (most likely) agree with you assessment. Thanks for the review.

f

BTW: isn't it nice (and a little unnerving) that when you call the company you talk DIRECTLY to the MAN? The guy knows customer service! Also, Curt will NOT deal with big box stores, period. Even JUSTSTRINGS.com doesn't carry his strings. Refreshing!

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: