Bakersfield neck profile

Started by Hotrod40, June 29, 2012, 10:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've had my Bakersfield just over a month but have'nt had many oppertunities to play it. Last night I gave it a shot but was having trouble the neck felt awkward...I don't have big hands or long fingers... I am not sure if its because I am used to newer style necks on my Fender models. Does it take time to get aquianted with this neck profile or is it just the wrong type for me.

The neck is bigger then the new Fenders but you should be able to adjust.If youi can handle there acoustics the Bakersfield will be easy.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Thanks for the reply...I was hoping someone would say that...it just may take some time...I would hate to have to get rid of it.

Quote from: unclrob on June 29, 2012, 11:58:49 AM
The neck is bigger then the new Fenders but you should be able to adjust.If youi can handle there acoustics the Bakersfield will be easy.
:+1:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Neck size is a personal thing. I find most Fender necks to be way too thin for my liking - I had a very nice American Standard Strat a few years ago that I really liked, but I didn't care for the thin neck, so I sold it. I just play my Warmoth Strats now ... all of them have necks that are similar to the Bakersfield. The neck size was one of the things about it that I really liked when I saw the specs.

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

My guess is that your are more feeling the difference between a wide neck and a narrow neck.

The neck profile was one part of the bakersfield that we really took our time on. My friend Nacho Banos (Author of "The Blackguard") was kind enough to take countless profile measurements off some of his early 50's broadcasters/telecasters for me. There was one particular neck from 1952 which stood out to Nacho as "the most comfortable neck he ever felt". We very carefully replicated that neck shape but altered the shoulders to allow for easy behind the nut string bends.

Quote from: Matthew Larrivee on June 29, 2012, 06:10:23 PM
My guess is that your are more feeling the difference between a wide neck and a narrow neck.

The neck profile was one part of the bakersfield that we really took our time on. My friend Nacho Banos (Author of "The Blackguard") was kind enough to take countless profile measurements off some of his early 50's broadcasters/telecasters for me. There was one particular neck from 1952 which stood out to Nacho as "the most comfortable neck he ever felt". We very carefully replicated that neck shape but altered the shoulders to allow for easy behind the nut string bends.
Thanks I hope your right....and its the differnce I am feeling...The guitar is beautiful...just sent it out to be set up by one of the best....as I said before I really dont want to get rid of it.

I found the Bakersfield neck to be quite different from what I was used to as well but after spending a month with the guitar, and only the Bakersfield, it felt just right in my hands. Also, switching guitars is not a problem once you get used to the profile of the neck.
I as well do not have large hands so I understand what you mean, but stick with it. The guitar is a keeper. I also had mine set up properly by someone who used to build for Larrivee. She did a great job as she does on all my guitars.

Thanks teacycle...I'm convinced it will just take a lil bit of time....Looking forward to getting it back from the tech.

Well...as I stated back on June 29th I had sent my NEW Bakersfield out for set up...turns out it needs a new neck. It is going to be covered under warranty, but I must say still a little dissapointed I probably wont see it till end of July or early August. I am trying everything in my power to convince myself that I didnt make the wrong choice in choosing this guitar.  Anyone else have issues with a New guitar?

Gotta be a pain, I had a bridge lift but opted to get it done locally vs. testing the warranty system and pay shipping at least one-way.  What was wrong with the neck that it turned out to be a warranty item ?
L-03,  Forum-IV 003-Hog, RS-4 Hogtop HB's, Logan Custom Tele Rescue - (Aka used) (neck P-90)

Quote from: WPete on July 15, 2012, 11:32:38 AM
Gotta be a pain, I had a bridge lift but opted to get it done locally vs. testing the warranty system and pay shipping at least one-way.  What was wrong with the neck that it turned out to be a warranty item ?

Gotta be honest...not 100% sure...I sent it in as I was noticing a bunch of string buzz that was not evident when we tried it at the store...took it back and they put new strings on it that did nothing to solve it thats when they suggested to get it set up. Turns out that the truss rod cant be adjusted or is installed incorrectly.. and after the guitar was climatized the problem surfaced...something to that effect... anyways the good news its covered...I guess my expectations were just a little to high and s*** happens. I just did'nt expect it based on the reputation and price...guess its better it was discovered in the first month then a few years later I have several guitars so some very seldom get played some have less the an hour playing time on them....my bad.

HotRod40,

PM sent ... I don't think you're the only one with a neck issue... :whistling:

Quote from: Mikeymac on July 15, 2012, 06:23:54 PM
HotRod40,

PM sent ... I don't think you're the only one with a neck issue... :whistling:
Thanks Mikeymac....back at ya.

Yeah, it may take a little time to get used to if your used to playing thinner necks.  I have a 52 reissue Tele from fender and it's a thick baseball bat neck and I love it!!!! I had an American Standard Tele and it had a really nice playing neck, and I would buy it again, but I really just like the thick necks.  Give your a little time and I think you'll like it.  Now the radius is another hot topic and as long as it feel right to you then rock on with it.
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not

Preimere Guitar reviewed the Bakersfield and said the fret board could have been rounded more. I guess I should have played mine more, it's still for sale. One problem I had was the neck p/u would not adjust, stripped screw who knows.

Quote from: bakersfieldjazz on July 16, 2012, 11:17:17 PM
Preimere Guitar reviewed the Bakersfield and said the fret board could have been rounded more.

Tasters Choice on the Fret Board but HERE is the Mag's review
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on July 16, 2012, 11:34:28 PM
Tasters Choice on the Fret Board but HERE is the Mag's review

Good review - remember reading that before I received mine. Even though the neck edges may not be as "rounded" as what Fender now touts on their American Series guitars, I still find it extemely comfortable, but then I really like the thicker Warmoth "boatneck" profile that is very close to the Bakersfield neck shape, and I like 1 3/4 nuts on electrics, too.