Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Wyres" string company  (Read 3398 times)
vacapicker

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 01:40:01 PM »

After all the waiting and lousy customer service communication from Wyres, my conclusion is that it was all worth the hassle.  These strings have settled in to a fine playability and sound.  I recommend them for anyone looking for a 13/56 set for tuning down or alternative tunings.   

"You can observe alot just by watching." Yogi Berra
hatofthecat

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 09:59:05 PM »

Just a quick question.  What's the texture of these Wyres strings like ?   I just can't get on with the cheese grater feel of Martin strings and usually use GHS bright bronze ones which are smoothly wound to the touch.

thanks, Pete

1992 Larrivée L-09 Koa
vacapicker

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 11:39:32 PM »

Hey Pete.  The Wyres feel to me like EJ17's, but a touch softer because they are hand wound and as such have a bit less tension. After a couple of hours with them, they begin to smooth out to the touch even more.  No squeaking, no excessive coating on your fret fingers.  They are very easy to play, and that comes from a guy whos fret hand has a missing finger and arthritis to boot!  I feel good about endorsing them for "ham an eggers" like me.  Hope that gives you a general idea. J.P.D   

webberink

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 06:10:31 PM »

Hi Pete,
I've used Wyres for a couple of years now and what vacapicker said sums it up well with regards to your question.  The only thing I would add is that I find the Pierre Bensusan signature set is even slightly smooter than their regular sets, texture/tone wise.  I just put a new set on my OM 09 Walnut and they are amazing.  FWIW, If you can't find them at your regular music store I would order them from Elderly Music rather than the Wyres website as they are cheaper there and I expect delivery would be a lot faster for you.
Dave

I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!
tmar16

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 11:56:24 PM »

Good info
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 08:05:34 PM »

I prefer a string that sounds good when you put them on and also sounds good when you take them off!!!! The only one I've found that does that is the Curt Mangan Fusion Matched. Another good one for consistency is D'Addario EXPs (if you like a coated string).

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
vacapicker

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2012, 02:08:49 PM »

I keep thinking these Wyres are about done and then they prove me wrong.  Still sounding good.  But the price is prohibitive. I wipe them down before and after every play session. Discovered a mettalic residue last week, but it is not shedding anymore and no sound deterioration.  Very good string set!  

vacapicker

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 04:50:53 AM »

they finally gave way to a new set of nickel flatwound.   

webberink

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 05:51:51 PM »

you'll be back!  Once you're wyred your wired.
Dave

I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: