Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Guitar cables - using Mogami cable and Switchcraft parts - nice !!  (Read 1084 times)
WPete

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2012, 09:34:17 PM »

I'd been using cables I gotten from Monoprice when first venturing into electrics w/ a K+K on my F-IV, the Monoprice cables seemed reasonable quality and were inexpensive - I'm fairly new to electrics so still learning what works.
With my first pedal on the way - I thought it was time to try making up my own cables/patch cables etc. so ordered some bulk Mogami 2524 shielded cable ($0.82/ft.) and a bunch of straight and angled switchcraft 1/4" plugs. Pretty easy stripping and soldering following a diagram on the vendors site (Best-tronics) and Wow - what an improvement - silent when dragging around, no pops or crackles and to my ears - cleaner sound.      

L-03,  Forum-IV 003-Hog, RS-4 Hogtop HB's, Logan Custom Tele Rescue - (Aka used) (neck P-90)
Icedlatte

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 10:10:40 PM »

Awesome! I've been using Mogami gold cables for awhile now and they are great. If I had any soldering skills I would make my own patch cables too. I didn't even know they sold bulk cable but that is a great idea using two high quality brands like mogami and switchcraft instead of a kit to make as many as you need.
WPete

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 11:39:24 PM »

..... If I had any soldering skills I would make my own patch cables too. .....

Was making up a couple more cables and took a couple pics to show that it's pretty easy - pics show: stripped cable - soldered to jack - finished straight and 90 deg ends.
Some tips are - be sure to slip the jack plastic ferrule and screw on cover on the cable before soldering
                   - file off any sharp solder points or cable clipped ends that might poke thru the plastic ferrule
                      (don't ask how I came up with these tips !)
For couch playing, I'm finding the 90 deg plug works nicely on the guitar

L-03,  Forum-IV 003-Hog, RS-4 Hogtop HB's, Logan Custom Tele Rescue - (Aka used) (neck P-90)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 01:27:35 AM »

What gauge wire?Are you tining the wire first.Tining is a process were you put solder on the bare wire then put solder on the connection point so you don't have to heat the wire too much.I like to score the jack's solder point with some 300 grit sandpaper for better adhesion.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
WPete

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 03:16:40 AM »

The Mogami 2524 cable is 20AWG and yep I tinned the cable before soldering, between pics , thought it'd be clearer to  show the stripped pic as copper - nice tip on sandpapering the pin spots tho Unclrob !!
 - the generic equiv cable from the same vendor costs half the Mogami , but I decided to go w/ the name brand as it still is pretty reasonable for diy cables. Here's link to cable info and specs (like flex life is 15,000 cycles - that's a lot of trips to the fridge for me )  
 http://best-tronics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BMI&Category_Code=GUITAR

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 04:11:22 AM »

Cool love 20 gauge wire.Not everyone know's about tinning glad you do.Not everyone knows about the sandpapering or scoring things.Do they carru Belwin cable by any chance?

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: