Bone saddle

Started by CraigB, June 16, 2012, 07:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi - can anyone advise me what the difference is between the two bone saddles shown in Larrivee online store page.  They are described as square and smooth but I'd like to know what the technical differences are and could I use either with my L-02, I'd appreciate any input - thank you :donut :donut :donut :donut2 :coffee
craigb

They both do the same thing,one has a box style setback for the "B" string the other is shapely like the curve's of a women.No insult meant but if I had just more sensual as us sculptors would say.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

It appears that the one is compensated for the B string (square) and the other is fully compensated (smooth).

Here's the link.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

I'm not familiar with the full compensated (smooth) version myself, the one in the front of the picture (square) is the one that has been used forever and would be just fine.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

I have the square one.  It is fully compensated (not just the B string).  Judging by the picture, the smooth one appears compensated as well but it doesn't look right to me.  The compensation appears to be centered on the G string and also affects the B and D strings, but the A and both E strings appear to be almost entirely uncompensated.  It could be that it is backwards in the picture, but that still doesn't seem completely right.

Anyhow, if the picture is accurate, they are not the same.  I'd stick with the square one.

Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active

Quote from: GGBB on June 19, 2012, 04:22:37 PM
I have the square one.  It is fully compensated (not just the B string). 

:+1: - right
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

I just installed the replacement Bone saddle in my L-05, should'a done it YEARS ago!!!
Larrivee L-05[brGitane' DG-300 & DG-250 ] 2009 Fender RW Telecaster (Barden pickups/bridge)
97 Telecaster Plus
87 Telecaster
01 Warmoth Tele

01 Danelectro Baritone
  DR.Z MAZ 38 SR,
Visual Sound Route 66/H2o[Breedlove 00 Mandolin,Banjo's,

"...never could stand that dog..."Tom Waits

Colosi's site lists 2 saddles for Larrivee; the standard B compensated saddle, and one with B and low E compensation which is said to help with dropped E string tunings.

Any experience or recommendations for my L-09? I'm starting to dabble in alt tunings, but can't say I notice any intonation problems with the standard saddle.