Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lollar RS-4 Pickups  (Read 1123 times)
Alexrkstr

Ignore
« on: June 08, 2012, 12:15:52 AM »

I'm not familiar with these. Are they on the hotter or on the vintage side? Are they articulate or muddy?
bacchus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 12:41:00 AM »

These were on the early series of RS-4's.  I don't know much about them, though generally, lollar pickups are very highly regarded.  I believe that Larrivee used the imperials (I dont know if they were low wind, high wind, etc...).  You can listen to clips of the pickups themselves at Lollar's website: http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=humbucker-pickups .

Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 12:43:06 AM »

Tested them a few years back and found the Lollars run a little hotter  ( more volume than the Larrivee's) with a subtle difference in the tone.  The DC resistence that I measured I can't recall exact BUT was around 7.6ohms & 8.4ohms  for the Lollars and 7.4 and 7.8 for the Larrivees was the 1st generation Larrivees I tested. Never really compared the three Gens

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 02:08:54 AM »

I'm not a fan of Lollar's every set I have installed all sound harsh in the mid's.I LOVE Matthew's hber's there very musical sounding.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 12:14:04 PM »

Lollar Imperials are generally understood to be great pickups. I understand the thinking about using proprietary pickups and know Matthew's pickups are terrific but there is absolutely nothing negative about the Lollars. My RS-4 is incredible and has Lollars.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 12:48:27 PM »

Lollar Imperials are generally understood to be great pickups. I understand the thinking about using proprietary pickups and know Matthew's pickups are terrific but there is absolutely nothing negative about the Lollars. My RS-4 is incredible and has Lollars.
  +1 as are mine. Like em both. But if I had to choose and you are chasing that PAF I'd go with the Larrivee PUPS as said tho can't go wrong with one or the other

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 01:19:14 PM »

+1 as are mine. Like em both. But if I had to choose and you are chasing that PAF I'd go with the Larrivee PUPS as said tho can't go wrong with one or the other

Agreed. I didn't have the choice with mine but don't regret the Lollars. My 80's style Larritele has a hand wound JCL pickup that is incredible. Love that little beast! 
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 02:14:13 PM »

I'm not saying there a bad pu just stating an opinion.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 03:10:44 PM »

I'm not saying there a bad pu just stating an opinion.

Right. For me, sort of like a choice between Angelina Jolie and Charlize Theron. Hard to go too far wrong. 
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 05:11:40 PM »

Being a married man who enjoys breathing I'll just say "OK"

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: