Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: has anyone ever buffed/polished out a satin finish?  (Read 1105 times)
dr.underhill

Ignore
« on: April 25, 2012, 05:39:02 AM »

i am waiting on my P-09r in a satin finish and was wondering if anyone here has ever polished out one of the satin finishes? i have a buddy that has a 414ce Taylor with the ovangkal body in a satin finish. he had a luthier friend do a polish job (was done by hand, he said similiar to a "french polish" technique) on the body, and the results were very impressive. it turned out to be a kind of semi-gloss, not the super glossy that you see on most UV cured urethane finishes, very smooth and the visual improvement on the grain/figure of the body was incredible. the ovangkal had flame before, but muted. the flame after was really pronounced, as was the overall color of the wood.
i played the guitar and must say that the feel of the guitar was improved as well- again not the super slick glossy feel, but a nice smooth surface.
just curious if anyone here has tried something like this?

i used to agitate for sedition. now i advocate sedation.
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 11:25:07 AM »

The only way to achieve a glossy surface is to achieve a level surface.

http://www.micromark.com/micro-mesh-finishing-kit,7601.html

The product above will do a fantastic job: IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH!
Waxer

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 02:56:12 AM »

polished L-05 head stock. So much shine there is a reflection. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 03:16:56 AM »

Buffed OM-03MT

That said, why not just buy a regular P-09R?  Why are you getting a Satin finish if you want it glossy?

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
dr.underhill

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 07:06:20 AM »

nice looking OM-03. i  found the exact (other than the satin finish) P-09 that i was looking for, unregistered NOS, at a great price. the fact that it was satin rather than gloss finish was far, far from a reason to let it slip away. in fact out of 5  09's that i looked at (3 were gloss) this particular instrument had the most handsome figure of rosewood of the batch. after seeing my associate's taylor polished out, and guessing that something similar could be done with Larri's satin (or any satin finish for that matter), i just had to have this specific parlor- the sound was superb, the action/neck a delight- so even if i leave it satin, it was THE guitar for me.

i used to agitate for sedition. now i advocate sedation.
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 05:44:31 PM »

I understand.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
L-fan

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 07:44:30 PM »

I wish there was a gallery of all the -03 guitars the forum members have glossed-up, because over the years here I remember many were truly remarkable.  I remember a D-03R in particular that was very nicely done.

Scott

RS-2
old beginner

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 02:56:10 PM »

Years ago when I ordered my somewhat customized LV-05 from Larrivee through the 12th Fret, I asked for a gloss neck and got a satin finish instead. Dave tried valiantly to gloss it up and could not get a result that he was satisfied with. I never saw it, so I can't comment on how it turned out.

He ordered another for me and it came corrected. Still have it and will be practicing with it today.
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 03:03:41 PM »

A couple of years back, everyone was doing it.  One poster made a detailed thread on the process.

http://www.tomyoungguitar.com/OrsinoizingPage.html
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 02:32:31 AM »

How far do people go through -- I used a variation on Peter Cree's newer method. Got a nice gloss, though my final stage I used Stewmac super fine polishing paper. I seemed to go farther down than others have described, not just buffing.

L-03 Italian Spruce
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: