Recording a demo

Started by unclrob, May 27, 2012, 09:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well sort of.I've got a question that some may be able to answer and some won't.My playing partner and I are going to record a demo to assist us in getting more gigs,the question is would it be best for us to record 1 to 2 minutes of a few tune's or go ahead and record 6-8 full tune's as our demo.Now me I have too say that thru the years I have always believed that its best to record 6-8 full tune's in the hope's that the first tune come's across so well that you'd want to listen to more.Plus the fact that we play a lot of style's including vintage {we both hate the term oldies and classic.it just a thing that bugs us both,plus we're both over 50}blues,country, rock and rythem and blues a few originals.So lets hear {opening the can of worms} some opinions. :cheers
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

We did this many years ago. We recorded all of the songs we meant for the demo in their entirety but we prefaced the demo CD with about 20 seconds of each song. After the snippets of each song (which we faded in and out) we included the full versions of each song.

Quote from: Kazels on May 27, 2012, 10:25:14 PM
We did this many years ago. We recorded all of the songs we meant for the demo in their entirety but we prefaced the demo CD with about 20 seconds of each song. After the snippets of each song (which we faded in and out) we included the full versions of each song.

Interesting when to go,I hadn't thought of that.

Also another thought wave for all..think like your the person who is looking too book in your bar,coffee house or restaurant.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on May 27, 2012, 10:38:54 PM

Also another thought wave for all..think like your the person who is looking too book in your bar,coffee house or restaurant.

I don't own a bar,coffee house or restaurant but you don't need a demo for me. You can come to my house and play anytime you want and I won't charge you anything. (You do have to bring donuts and Scotch though)   :nana_guitar
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

:thumb                :roll
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

I've done it both ways, as long as they no you are giving them bits and pieces for the purpose of showing the different styles you play shouldn't be a problem, either way will serve the purpose, but having a good demo with full tunes might make someone want to keep the demo over one that is just bits and pieces, the hardest thing is getting them to actually listen to it, would be best if they listen to it while your there, and not I'll listen to it when I get a chance, kind of keeping the ball in your court.  Sometimes people are to busy but sometimes they are blowing you off because they just don't want to deal with it at the time, sometimes you have to be persistent, but always polite
:bgrin:
Tom:

Peace and LONG LIVE THE BLUES...

2011 Larrivee Wildwood Custom Dv03re
1994 Fender Stratocaster
1964 Fender Duo Sonic ll
2009 Highland Royal Deluxe
Line 6 flextone original model
Mesa Maverick Dual Rectifier
Vox Pathfinder 15r

Well we decided to just record 10 tune's.It will have a taste og all the style's we play.The reason for doing a 10 tune demo is we do have people that ask us if we have a CD for sale so we figured what the heck,if we can get $8  and sell 10 or so it would cover the expence of the recording plus we have a few friends that if they can make want to play on it.So now its become more of a fun project.Over the years I have found from doing these things its 1;best to hand them to the person who does the hiring.2;get them to pop in in while your there.3;the first tune has to make them want to listen to more.4;get them to play it while there are people around.And last but not least 5;if they like it then they may play it.As for working for scotcth and donuts only happens in the house and a good whiskey is always welcome as I have come to enjoy a brand called Forty Creek which is more of a Canadian rye.I should state that we will only work for money,maybe guns if there cool and the price triple's for lawyers. :smile:

1xx
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

We're gonna go all out I thinkWe already have cards,we haven't picked a pix yet for the outer cover or for the disk itself.We're making the CD's ourselve's and all we want is the cost but I know us well enough that we won't have a problem giving some away after we make our cost back,which by the way will be just the gas and food as we Keith has a friend who own's a beach motel and the recording gear.After that its just the cost of putting the disk package together but alas neither one of us has any real money to spend.As soon as I can get some spare dime I plan on putting together a website and maybe get someone to do a vidio for free.We have a photographer friend who has takin tons of pix of us.I'm not sure how to post a link or even if Keith would want me too to his facebook page which has some of the pix.I'll ask him.

As for the drink I got turned on to the Forty Creek by one of my Canadian clients who is going to school at FSU.I'm more of a highland scotcht drinker and I favor Speeburn which is a nice 10 year old single malt. :cheers
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Well got a really nice demo of nine songs now its just getting them into the proper order.We used 2 mic's into a thingy that allowed us to record 2 tracks at a time.Keith did his vocals and guitar into one mic and I did my guitar into one mic.Took about 6-8 hours and then the next day we mixed and did any retake's.So now the work begins,getting more gigs. :nana_guitar :nana_guitar
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Are you going to have any extra CD's made to sell to forum members, or are you going to post some clips, would love to hear some tunes :+1:
Tom:

Peace and LONG LIVE THE BLUES...

2011 Larrivee Wildwood Custom Dv03re
1994 Fender Stratocaster
1964 Fender Duo Sonic ll
2009 Highland Royal Deluxe
Line 6 flextone original model
Mesa Maverick Dual Rectifier
Vox Pathfinder 15r

I have no idea how to post clips,I can barely do what I do here :bgrin: .Once we get all the stuff done if someone wants one I'd be happy  :nanadance to post that there available but I'd like too make sure its ok with my partner.I'll let you know.Thanks for asking.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

unclrob,

If you send me a copy of the CD, I'll make a SoundCloud account for you and post .mp3 file snippets of the songs on your SoundCloud account that you can point people to as well.  Believe it or not, alot of places don't want to bother with physical CDs for demo purposes.

Send me a PM if you are interested. 

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I thought I'd update whats going on with the recording.We both wanted "Wish You were here" on the CD but we kinda forgot to mix it so as of right now that is being done.As well as cleaning up some of the tracks plus putting them an order that puts the first punch first {Wish you were here} then the rest and finishing with an still to be determined.So thats were we are at as of now.I'll let everyone know when were ready to start selling them.Plus we do have plans to add some friends to a version of the disc,there will be harmony vocals added,some bass,fiddle and dobro.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks