Installed GHS A137 in my Guild Jumbo

Started by unclrob, May 25, 2012, 08:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OK I'm always looking to find the best way to amplify my acoustics and get the true sound of the guitar.Well next up is the GHS A137 internal mic.This on is mounted on an active strap pin jack powered by a AA battery.They say the battery will last about 800 hours {we'll see} and to change the battery you need to remove the unit from the guitar.It was easy enough to install as I had already had the end open from other pu,so staight foward.After installing per the direction I pointed the active side of the mic {marked with a white dot on the mic cover} towards the back of the guitar.For this guitar after trying several different spots inside the guitar I settled fo about and inch off the back and just a tad towards the high "E" side of the guitar.As always I plugged it into my Princeton Reverb set flat.After a couple of adjustments I ended up with the treble set at 4 and the bass at 6.Comparing the acoustic tone with the electric tone I had a fairly true version of the Guild 12 string.As per the instuction I put a feedback buster in the sound hole which nicely removed a few artifact from the fan on the floor in front of me.I then plug it into my Baggs PARA and this moved the tone to the next level as I was able to have more control over the mids,which I removed and now the electric sound is just as good as if I was playing thru a nice old SM57 {pre 1968 so mo cartiridge just a piazo on foil},which is my prefered choice of mics for acoustic.So overall very happy but the true test will be our by weekly gig so more reveiw to come. :wave
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Well without a doubt this is a good mic.Used it about 4 tune's and except for getting a balanced volumn which is our own fault as setup was rushed.It sounded great when Keith played "wish you were here" even though it was his first time playing this 12 string so it was a bit newish feeling to him.I think I'll be picking up at least one more to put in my OM03PA but it will have too wait a couple of weeks.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

unclerob, I'm just seeing this.  I like the idea of this and would even consider re-wiring my end-pin jack for stereo so one channel is my K+K mini pure western, and one channel for this - although I might do the soundhole version instead of the endpin jack version.

Know where I can get a tip ring sleeve endpin jack?

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Scot I'll check but there may be an issue as the GHS uses a AA battery.What I'll need to find is a pre-amp jack that can handle 2 pu inputs and only pre-amp one.Interesting adventure,it may take sometime but now I'm the cat that will get...curiosity.

I have since moved the mic to my OM03PA since the Guild is down.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

OK the smaller body size require's a bit more work eq'ing out some artifacts and ringing but still a very usable internal mic.Had to lower the bass and the presance control,also the high's.The roll offs on the mids took some time to find the right spot on the PARA direct but I had to adjust the notch at the same time as to not mud up the mids.With the addition of the eq on the pa things should be fine.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

curious what this ran you rob.
i used to agitate for sedition. now i advocate sedation.

Quote from: dr.underhill on August 10, 2012, 09:49:07 AM
curious what this ran you rob.

check your PM

There very easy to install,remove the the strap button on the butt of the guitar.I use a dowl with the end sanded to fit in the jack hole and push into place.It come's with a AA battery.Then you need to play with the mic for the best placement in the guitar.I also use a feedback buster in the sound hole to keep outside sound from coming into the guitar that can effect and cause the mic to feedback.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: rockstar_not on August 03, 2012, 06:05:24 PM
unclerob, I'm just seeing this.  I like the idea of this and would even consider re-wiring my end-pin jack for stereo so one channel is my K+K mini pure western, and one channel for this - although I might do the soundhole version instead of the endpin jack version.

Know where I can get a tip ring sleeve endpin jack?

-Scott

Scott I checked with the people at GHS and the endpin pre is a single source unit.I haven't figured out if there is a way to move the GHS unit into another pre amp jack as there's seems to be different from other units.The Fishman unit sends both signals thru the pre amp.I'm not that good at micro electronics but if you wanted to devide the signal a 4 log jack would be needed were you could send the preamp signal from the mic to say the ring and the K+K to the tip.You would then need a stereo cord that is "Y'ed" so you could send each signal too a seperate input on a an amp or into a PA to have full control over each signal.

:wacko: If you want to get crazy as one of my client has you can install an output panel on your guitar,his guitar use 4 seperate signals.One for the UTS,one for an Ibeam,one for his internal mic and one that come's from a control box that allow's him the ability to control 3 top sensors each with its own volumn and tone control.He runs this set up into a rack unit that consist of a small 6 channel mixer,an acoustic guitar amp and an ever changing assortment of effects which each pu has its own dedicated effects.On top of all that he also use's a looper. :arrow

I have since moved the mic to my Seagul S12 and it works just fine. :smile:
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks