Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question About Larrivee Mandolins  (Read 4233 times)
CZERO9RW

Ignore
« on: May 24, 2012, 11:08:45 PM »

Which shop are they made in?

Are the tops and backs hand-carved, or CNC'd?

Just-a-wonderin'

There's an F34 in the mando cafe classifieds and I am considering making an offer...

Thanks!
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 11:37:55 PM »

Made in Oxnard

Am not sure specically how much the CNC is used in the Mando Bldg process. Most who have got up close and personal with my A are very impressed with its quality ( like thats a surprise to those of us who know Larrivee rolleye ).

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
CZERO9RW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 07:48:31 PM »

Regardless of quality, CNC'd instruments don't have the same resale draw as hand-carved.

In my experience (30+ years) the hardcore mandolin crowd are much more anal about their instruments than the guitar crowd.

For example, I have played 3 or 4 Larrivee F33's, and a handful of their A's and they have all been nice players. As with any mass volume builder, I wouldn't pay anywhere near the new price for them, but they resale at right about what they are worth; $1000 - 1200 for the A's and $1500-1700 for the F's. If you peruse the mandolin crowd forums and search for Larrivee you will find 1 favorable review out of 4. Which, in my opinion, doesn't pay due respect. Not from the instruments I have had the chance to play.

Anyway, I was looking to try the F34 out as I am partial to oval-holed mandos', but the guy didn't like my offer, so... maybe next time! 
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 10:44:36 PM »

In my experience (30+ years) the hardcore mandolin crowd are much more anal about their instruments than the guitar crowd.

Guitar Crowd are pretty anal about the name on the headstock as well. The RS-4 is living proof of this IMO.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
CZERO9RW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 11:17:36 PM »

Oh yeah, the brand loyalty is just the start... "If' it ain't' Gibson, it ain't bluegrass!  Go hang on the mando cafe for awhile. There's a few others, but you don't really get to experience it until you start hanging out at the different type of jam sessions. That was my experience, at least. It's few and far between the festivals, or jams I will attend these days.
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 05:49:44 PM »

Oh yeah, the brand loyalty is just the start... "If' it ain't' Gibson, it ain't bluegrass!  Go hang on the mando cafe for awhile. There's a few others, but you don't really get to experience it until you start hanging out at the different type of jam sessions. That was my experience, at least. It's few and far between the festivals, or jams I will attend these days.

A jam is a get together with musicians to play music and have fun. If there is someone dissin somebody else's instrument you need to break their instrument over their head and tell them to go home and come back when they grow up.
I mean, really.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 11:05:44 PM »

I followed some of the discussion on the new Larrivée mandolins and had to laugh at the debate on whether the scroll looked right or not. Funny crowd.   
CZERO9RW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 03:37:13 PM »

I followed some of the discussion on the new Larrivée mandolins and had to laugh at the debate on whether the scroll looked right or not. Funny crowd.   

Great example. I read about the first three posts in that thread and clicked away.

I do that quite a bit on that forum.
CZERO9RW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 03:48:34 PM »

A jam is a get together with musicians to play music and have fun. If there is someone dissin somebody else's instrument you need to break their instrument over their head and tell them to go home and come back when they grow up.
I mean, really.

The majority of them are fun. You just gotta learn to see the little cliques that cling to each other and avoid them.

In my experience, the Blue Grassers are the worst. Especially in the mando crowd, not only brand, but style of mando (F style, why? Because that's what Bill Monroe used  whistling) that is used in Blue Grass. 

The Irish Seisiuns are my favorite and are usually the most fun, but if you walk in on a high-speed contest it's probably best to just sit on the side and  listen. I usually make comments about their playing. That REALLY gets 'em goin'! The best way to become a the most popular person at a seisiun is to join the circle for a few tunes then ask them if they know any Irish tunes.... On second thought, don't. 

The Old Time Contradance jams are the best! These folks know how to have fun with music. Dancing, singin', no real care what instrument you are playing (as long as you don't sound like you're playing a different tune than everyone else!  ). I was able to play quite a few when I lived in Virginia. All up and down the east coast. What a blast! 
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 04:20:34 PM »

I saw one of the Oxnard employee's making a mandolin. I didn't ask a any technical questions, but he was fine carving the inside of a back - by hand. If a CNC is used, it is just to rough-in the blank and then it would all be by hand.  I think they sound great.

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
CZERO9RW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 04:55:25 PM »

I saw one of the Oxnard employee's making a mandolin. I didn't ask a any technical questions, but he was fine carving the inside of a back - by hand. If a CNC is used, it is just to rough-in the blank and then it would all be by hand.  I think they sound great.

Very cool! Thanks for that info. 

Even if they fine tune it by hand is a plus.

Hmmmm... That gets me to wonderin', do they have anyone who knows how to tap tune? Or, do they do it? Even on their guitars?

Sheesh! More and more questions.... I need to control myself!  wacko
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 05:06:43 PM »

Yes, but it just doesn't look  right!

Bluegrassers also, apparently, can't play on guitars that don't have prominent pickguards. Go figure! 

Unfortunately, Bill Monroe's Gibson Loar mandolin is wasting away at the CMHoF along with many other fine instruments. I believe they should put replicas there and the real thing in the hands of good musicians but, even though I shed a tear at Hank William's D-28,  maybe I'm not sentimental enough.   crying
CZERO9RW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 07:05:47 PM »

Monroe's mandolin is on a regular playing schedule. It's arguable, but I would say it couldn't be in better hands than where it is right now.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 08:12:58 PM »

Monroe's mandolin is on a regular playing schedule. It's arguable, but I would say it couldn't be in better hands than where it is right now.

I didn't know that. Who gets to play these instruments besides the curators?   
CZERO9RW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 08:48:40 PM »

Not sure. They do have the Nashville Orchestra, or whatever they call themselves. They are the house band at the Grand Ole Opry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: