Old Parlor string tension

Started by appleknocker, May 23, 2012, 11:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey all,
I just picked up a really cool old 12 Fret parlor.  I don't know the maker.  It's a plywood body, ladder braced, the neck is fantastic.  It's got some silk and steel super light strings on it currently.  I prefer playing with medium strings.  Is there anyway I can modify the guitar so it could handle heavier strings?  Keep in mind this is a $100 guitar so I'm not really concerned with it's value.
Thanks for the advice.

going from silk & steel to a medium steel is a big step tension-wise (i'm sure one of our more technically informed Larrivites can put some numbers with this). that said, bracing will be a significant issue, as well as bridge/bridge plate structure. you may be better off in the long term leaving her strung with silk/steel. if cost is a factor (and when is it not?) i suspect the cost to upgrade structural integrity to accept medium strings will be significant enough to better warrant spending that sum towards a more modern parlor which allows you the guages you prefer to play.

just a newbie here, but i have seen the results of this scenario, and it ain't pretty. :crying: 
i used to agitate for sedition. now i advocate sedation.

Thanks Dr. 
That was my fear as well.  I figure I may move up to steel lights (or extra lights).  I was just hoping for a magic remedy that some one might know, fetzer valves, ball bearings.  It was a shot in the dark.

I just strung up an old Maurer parlour that had silk and steels on with a set of 80/20 bronze with a set of 11's and have no problem.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

have a look at a bridge doctor,  that is if the neck will handle the tension. It's a relatively cheap fix if the top needs strength.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: unclrob on May 23, 2012, 10:08:29 PM
I just strung up an old Maurer parlour that had silk and steels on with a set of 80/20 bronze with a set of 11's and have no problem.

but, as a repairman, wouldn't you want to check out the actual guitar in question before you advised this unclrob? the Maurers have a pretty well known method of construction, etc.  this particular guitar may be in sound shape, and the construction more than robust enough to do what apple wants to do. but, without someone knowledgable to assess the instrument, i would not try it myself, so could not advise it for someone else.

sort of like Cindy and Broderick- they're both Crawfords right? but that technicality doesn't help much if you're the one that winds up with Broderick. :crying:

broKen, you have a good point.  i've got a pretty neat little travel guitar (that was marketed under the "Trinity River" brand) called a "Traveler" that came from factory with the bridge doctor- a simple design, but it definatly works. i know Stewmac offers both the pin and screw mount models and they are not much money at all. :+1:
i used to agitate for sedition. now i advocate sedation.

Thanks all,
I picked up a set up extra light (10's) that I think should work.  Not very heavy but more solid feeling than the silk and steel set.  The neck is pretty wide and thick.  Almost in the territory of the antique Gibson I used to have so I don't anticipate it moving.  If it pans out I may try the same set on my Supertone Hawaiian.