Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you really make music on a P-09?  (Read 3580 times)
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 07:25:01 PM »

He has always had contempt for his audience throughout the years, shown in different ways, and this is probably the recent manifestation of it. Sorry Dylan fans.

L-03 Italian Spruce
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012, 07:40:52 PM »

He has always had contempt for his audience throughout the years, shown in different ways, and this is probably the recent manifestation of it. Sorry Dylan fans.

I wouldn't put it exactly that way but there's a grain of truth in what you say. I guess I didn't think I would be part of the  audience targeted with his scorn. Usually, he uses a scalpel. Chain saws are a little too imprecise for the job. 
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 11:40:47 PM »

I wouldn't put it exactly that way but there's a grain of truth in what you say. I guess I didn't think I would be part of the  audience targeted with his scorn. Usually, he uses a scalpel. Chain saws are a little too imprecise for the job. 
Yes I put it rather harshly, but you knew what I meant.  He's a complicated cat for sure.

L-03 Italian Spruce
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 11:52:32 PM »

Yes I put it rather harshly, but you knew what I meant.  He's a complicated cat for sure.

I did and he, for sure, is.
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2012, 05:20:47 AM »

I don't know if this is a fair comparison.
I saw Dylan perform here in Edmonton at what was then called Skyreach Centre (where the Edmonton Oilers play) about 12 years ago now.  It was just him and his band.  He mostly played the piano.  He seemed disinterested to say the least.  To me he was just going thru the motions.  He sounded like Dylan trying to sound like Dylan.  The best way to describe his singing was: Wah wah WAH,  wah wah WAH, wah wah WAH, wah wah WAH.  Well that's kind of what you expect from Bob Dylan, but it was bad and off key etc.  My wife and I were very dissapointed.  There was no connection with the audience.

The one highlight for me was when he sang "Just Like a Woman".  He did a good job on it and I got verklempt realizing that down there was the real Bob Dylan singing that song and here I was actually there listening to it.

But it was mostly a let down.  When we got home, I dug out and played a couple of his early albums.  Listening to these restored our conviction that he was a much greater artist than what we had heard that night.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2012, 10:58:25 AM »

Yeah, but can you really make music on a P-09  ??
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2012, 12:18:43 PM »

Bob could. He should. And he would if he'd just leave that dang pianny to home.  

L07 - I can understand uninspired, a few songs that don't quite work or being just generally sort of off, heck, anyone who's tried this performance stuff can relate to a bad night but this, to me, went waaaay beyond that.    
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2012, 08:08:10 PM »

Well, Knopfler was good, his band was excellent but he can't sing worth a dang. Way beyond laid back. Sultans of Swing would have been a nice encore but he chose So Far Away. Curious.
This was the sixth time I've seen Dylan, the first five being varying degrees of great, I'd heard rumours of disastrous shows in the past but always thought, "Oh they probably don't get it." or "How bad could it have been?" Well, the term train wreck comes to mind. I couldn't play that bad falling down drunk or unless I did it on purpose. What can I say? I was very disappointed to drive 1,000 miles into a winter storm warning for that. Maybe he bet someone a million dollars that he could play piano all night, extremely loudly in the wrong key and still get a standing ovation. If that's the case, he won.    
Maybe next time you might consider Calgary

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: