Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you really make music on a P-09?  (Read 3484 times)
Welch

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2012, 12:25:44 AM »

I have a P-09 and I play in a church band.  i would like to play the P-09 because it has a short scale and 12 fret neck and I have 64 year old hands.
I noodle on the couch with the Parlor guitar but is anyone playing out with one?  I would like to get better tuners and some sort of pick-up for it (I am partial to Fishman Natural 1's) but I would even use a sound hole pickup if I thought it would sound the best.  We play everything from traditional hymns to U2 sounding songs, if that helps, and I play into the house board through a Radial J-48 direct box.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks, Neal.

Welch
1991 Martin OM-21 Special
1991 Martin Shenandoah D-6832
P-09 Larrivee Parlor
2005 Fender Deluxe 24 Bass
Unknown 5 string Banjo
Godin "Strat Wanna-be"
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 12:43:31 AM »

Larry Pattis - Waltzing Matilda - This is a P-09.

Larry Pattis performing a wonderful arrangement of Waltzing Matilda at a House Concert.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvMKfkl3YGw
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 02:10:55 AM »

Hey if the guitar works works for you why not.With a pu you will be able to change the tonal charactoristics,so go for it.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 11:48:12 AM »

Can *I* make music with a P-09?  That's debatable...  I can think of several people who would say no guitar can help me.  (grin)

I have one of the old O-01 parlors that I used for years playing (what I called) music for kids in preschools and kindergartens that worked just fine and dandy.  I played for whole rooms full of people and got by just fine without a pickup, though I play with a "strum hard and sing loud" approach.  I used it at an open mic I did weekly for a couple years with a D'Armond soundhole pickup, though if I were to do it again, I'd install a K&K.

As has been pointed out...  Larry Pattis has done some beautiful stuff using Larrivee Parlors.  If you search YouTube, there are a bunch of others who are doing great stuff with them.

Hmmm...  I guess the short answer is, sure!

Ed
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 01:51:52 PM »

I can.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 04:29:26 PM »

Of course.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 10:13:18 PM »

I can.

me too!
carruth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 12:25:25 AM »

My PO9 makes great music..........whoever is playing her.

Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K
Welch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 10:54:07 PM »

OK, now what I need to know is, are you playing out, amplified?  If so, how is your Parlor set up?  Don't get me wrong, I love this little guitar but unplugged it sounds somewhat "boxy" because it has such a small top that it doesn't move as much air as my OM.  How do I get a sound I will fall in love with?

Welch
1991 Martin OM-21 Special
1991 Martin Shenandoah D-6832
P-09 Larrivee Parlor
2005 Fender Deluxe 24 Bass
Unknown 5 string Banjo
Godin "Strat Wanna-be"
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 11:35:06 PM »

OK, now what I need to know is, are you playing out, amplified?  If so, how is your Parlor set up?  Don't get me wrong, I love this little guitar but unplugged it sounds somewhat "boxy" because it has such a small top that it doesn't move as much air as my OM.  How do I get a sound I will fall in love with?
Now that's another subject altogether. Just sell it and get a 00. 

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
dr.underhill

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 03:25:00 AM »

i really need to sit down and do a review of not only my P-09rw, but the new JJB 330 transducer system as well. my personal set up is:

(1) Jet City JCA20H head (20watt all tube- 2 EL84 Electro Harmonix on output, and 2 NOS Bugle Boy Dutch made 12AX7's & 1 of same in   
                                           a 12AT7
 (2) Egnater Rebel 112X Cabinet (single 12" in a ported cabinet)
 (3) MXR 10 band equalizer

the little P-09 sounds superb thru this set up. i also run an outboard reverb (not a spring unit, but plan on remedying that soon). i wish i had a sound card in my computer so that i could put a sample on the forum. i'm not a super player (altho been playing since 63), but i recognize a great sound when i hear it. i wish i could hear my set-up in the hands of a sure enough guitarist, it would most likely blow my mind (or at least what's left of it).

in closing, i would have to say that you can most assuredy make music with a P-09- and exquisite music at that.

i used to agitate for sedition. now i advocate sedation.
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 12:44:25 PM »

If I had a parlor, I would most definitely make music with it!  I really miss having one.  I've owned two.  Both were superb sounding little box that were always a joy to play. 

Larry Pattis

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 03:01:45 PM »

Here's why Parlor guitars are good...including, of course, the 24" scale Larrivée PV-09:

The Road to Quinault

I'm using medium gauge strings (they ship with mediums, as many of you know) from Elixir, and tuned-down to DADGAD.

NO problem whatsoever in tuning down with the 24" scale.

I upgraded to the full-sized Gotoh 21:1 Delta tuners...love them.  Smooth and accurate.

Parlor guitars rule...

Here's more original guitar-music on the PV-09:

Bloomington

www.LarryPattis.com
Pandora
Spotify
Steel-string guitars Larrivée
Classical guitars Anders Sterner
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 03:03:32 PM »

Great music Larry.
gerrychuck

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 08:44:03 PM »

I just watched some unknown guitar player name Mark Knopfler night before last;  he was the warmup act for another unknown named "Bob Dylan" or something.  Anyway, the acoustic he was playing was a Parlour (couldn't tell the brand).  Seemed to work okay for him in an arena setting, so I figure you should be okay in church:)

Tacoma DR-38
Larrivee SD-03R
Ryioji Matsuoka dreadnought (1974):  Given to son #1
Cort Earth 200:  Given to son #2
Custom Fender strat
Hamer Stellar
Ancient Gibson acoustic, model unknown
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 02:08:23 PM »

I just watched some unknown guitar player name Mark Knopfler night before last;  he was the warmup act for another unknown named "Bob Dylan" or something.  Anyway, the acoustic he was playing was a Parlour (couldn't tell the brand).  Seemed to work okay for him in an arena setting, so I figure you should be okay in church:)

Knopfler was playing something a little larger than a parlor in Winnipeg Friday. Looked like an OM. Where did you see him?
By the way, how was it? 
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 02:12:07 PM »

Knopfler was playing something a little larger than a parlor in Winnipeg Friday.
So how was the Winnipeg show? I came very very close to going, couldn't quite line up the stars

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 03:04:03 PM »

So how was the Winnipeg show? I came very very close to going, couldn't quite line up the stars

Well, Knopfler was good, his band was excellent but he can't sing worth a dang. Way beyond laid back. Sultans of Swing would have been a nice encore but he chose So Far Away. Curious.
This was the sixth time I've seen Dylan, the first five being varying degrees of great, I'd heard rumours of disastrous shows in the past but always thought, "Oh they probably don't get it." or "How bad could it have been?" Well, the term train wreck comes to mind. I couldn't play that bad falling down drunk or unless I did it on purpose. What can I say? I was very disappointed to drive 1,000 miles into a winter storm warning for that. Maybe he bet someone a million dollars that he could play piano all night, extremely loudly in the wrong key and still get a standing ovation. If that's the case, he won.    
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 03:35:18 PM »

ohmy sorry to hear that. Gotta say my Friend in Winnipeg kinda talked me out of it as I was going to have a stop-over. They are fans but had a similar experience a couple years back just south of the border.

He ain't getting any younger, or was he just drunk

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 03:46:41 PM »

ohmy sorry to hear that. Gotta say my Friend in Winnipeg kinda talked me out of it as I was going to have a stop-over. They are fans but had a similar experience a couple years back just south of the border.

He ain't getting any younger, or was he just drunk

My buddy and I speculated endlessly on the way back home. He didn't seem drunk. Age isn't much of an excuse. Tempest is very good. Revenge on Winnipeg for disrespect last time there or the bet I mentioned were our favourite reasons. Heck, playing drunk isn't that  hard. I've done it lots of times!  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: