NGD: The Rainsong SFTA-FLE has landed

Started by AZLiberty, May 16, 2012, 09:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Big Brown Truck of Happiness arrived this afternoon while I was at work and left a big brown box of happiness behind.  No signature required, just left a $1600 guitar on the front step. :whistling:
  :whistling:

This is the custom short scale available from Ted at L.A. Guitar Sales.  First thing you notice is "holy smokes this thing is light"  weight wise it's a lot closer to a parlor than a 000.

SFTA = Shorty, Fine Texture Finish, Acoustic (i.e. no on-board electronics)
-FLE = Forum Limited Edition  (Ted does limmited runs based on input from the Acoustic Guitar Forum)

This instrument is actually unique, as it is the only one that was ordered with the FT finish instead of High Gloss.

Pics next to my OM-03RE.  The upper and lower bout size is very close, and each guitar would fit in the other's case.  The Rainsong is actually a hair (1/4") shorter in the body, and noticeably thinner at 4" at the heel and 3 1/4" at the neckblock.

Soundwise this thing sounds "different".  It sounds very woody (like an all hog) when fingerpicked, but is really bright and maybe a bit harsh when strummed.  Action is outstanding.  Once the stock Elixirs wear out I will try some EXP-16's  (I generally prefer PB strings to 80/20s anyway)

These are also coming with a very nice TLK arched-lid case instead of a Gig Bag which is a very nice upgrade.

:nana_guitar congrats on the NG.Does it have a pu?And of coarse what kind if it does have one?Congrats again!!!!! :guitar
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on May 16, 2012, 10:04:08 PM
:nana_guitar congrats on the NG.Does it have a pu?And of coarse what kind if it does have one?Congrats again!!!!! :guitar

No pickup.  In fine Larrivee Forum tradition I will probably have a K&K pure Western Mini installed.  :thumb

That's a beauty. What is the significance of the fish?  I see what looks like a porpoise in the Rosette which is very nice BTW.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on May 16, 2012, 11:05:01 PM
That's a beauty. What is the significance of the fish?  I see what looks like a porpoise in the Rosette which is very nice BTW.

It's become tradition for Rainsongs to have shark inlays.  From Rainsong:

A Shark Story

Most RainSong guitar necks feature our signature "Shark" inlay.

Originally, when RainSong Graphite Guitars was still in Maui, Hawaii, we started using Dolphins as inlays. Within a few months we were asked to "cease-and-desist" by another guitar maker that claimed to own rights to the use of Dolphins as guitar neck inlays. Rather than incurring the legal expense and time delays to fight the claim, we looked for other inspirations from our beautiful environs. Enter the Shark, or mano, which is deeply woven into the fabric of Native Hawaiian culture and history. Some early Hawaiians worshiped, cared for and protected sharks as family gods, while many others viewed sharks as an important source of food and tools. This symbolic combination of utility and reverence seemed appropriate for the ornamentation on our instruments.

In 2001 RainSong moved from Maui to Woodinville, WA. We chose to preserve the Shark as our signature inlay as a nod to our Hawaiian origins.

My kids think the "fish" are cool.

I should not have looked at this thread.  I need Maalox now!  :wink:
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Fantastic looking guitar! Love the shark inlays. Enjoy ... and don't worry about that humidifier!  :winkin:

That's a cool guitar,,and a twelve fretter too! Enjoy.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Nice!  The clips that I've heard of the shortys sound really good.  How does the back's finish feel (or sound) when it rubs against your clothing?  Is it noisy?
Larrivee 00-40R

Quote from: WileE on May 20, 2012, 10:14:33 AM
Nice!  The clips that I've heard of the shortys sound really good.  How does the back's finish feel (or sound) when it rubs against your clothing?  Is it noisy?

It's a bit rougher than I expected.  I don't think it's that noisy when playing though.

Love the shark markers and the sound hole.
Larrivee OM-03 MQ