Larrivee D03-R or Bedell TB28-G Rosewood Dreadnaught?

Started by bino, May 15, 2012, 01:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okay gang.  Here's the story.  I've got G.A.S. again.  :blush:  :donut  :donut2  :coffee  :coffee  :donut2  :donut  I know that I said no more after I bought my L-05, which I still love.  But, I have my Morgan mahogany OM, my Guild maple dread, and of course, my L-05, all of which I love.  But ... I have no Rosewood guitar in my stable, and I wish to have a dreadnaught in Rosewood.  I cannot afford the L-09, Martin D28, or Guild D55, all of which are different beasts.  I know the slant will be towards the Larrivee, but, well, gang, please, bring it on.   :winkin: :welcome: :nana_guitar :donut :donut2 :coffee :coffee
Bino

Guild Mahogany Sunburst Dreadnought D40 (2019)
Guild Maple Dreadnought D30 (2001)
Morgan OMM Mahogany OM (2003)
Morgan OMR Rosewood OM (2018)
Larrivee Mahogany L-Model L-05 (2008)
Larrivee Rosewood Dreadnought D-03R (2011) For Sale
Andrew White Cybele 110 (2018)

Nobody is having coffee or eating donuts with me.  Or giving me any feedback.  I've had to go pee 3 or 4 times from all of the coffee.  But, I've still got it on.  :coffee :donut2 :donut
Bino

A lot of similarities in the Specs and pricing. I have never had the opportunity to play a Bedell
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on May 15, 2012, 09:53:40 PM
A lot of similarities in the Specs and pricing. I have never had the opportunity to play a Bedell
I don't need to have played a Chinese import to know that the Larrivee D-03R will be a really good guitar.  :guitar
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

I've never played a Bedell, so don't know anything about them.

If you're interested in a Martin D, you could check out the MMV model from Guitar Center/Musiciansfriend.com - based on the 16 series, it is quite reasonably priced - ot at least it was when I last check awhile ago.

The Larrivee rosewood's all seem to share a very similar sound signature, regardless of the size and shape. Yes, they are of course different, yet the underlying tone is remarkably consistent. It's something you like or don't like. Very very different from a Martin. I love both sounds.

Another excellent guitar to consider is the Eastman E20-D. They usually have a rich tone with lots of overtones, whihc may or may not be your cup of tea. Rosewood & adirondack. mmmmmm.  :donut Eastman's are another Chinese-made guitar, but they seem to be a cut above most. Again, I'm not familiar with Bedell quality or sound.

That wasn't much help, I'm afraid...

As I have said again and again,
A D03r is one of the best guitars out there period.
BEdell? we dont need no stinkin Bedell. :humour:
just go for the Larrivee, you wont be sorry.
Dave

Let me put it to you this way: Jean Larrivee, the founder and owner of the Larrivee company, PERSONALLY HAND SELECTS THE WOOD IN HIS GUITARS; he travels to India, Italy and other places around the world and looks over every tree, then every set of wood that comes off that tree. It all gets personally approved by him. When he comes home, he works in the shop on the guitars - setting necks, painting sunbursts, buffing finishes.

Now ... which guitar do you want to buy?  :rolleye:

(BTW, I've owned a D-03R - it was an excellent dreadnaught. I happen to like mahogany dreads, so I sold it to get my current D-03/Italian Spruce top.)
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Thank you for the responses gang.  They are all good information to know.  Point of information, I am not that interested in buying a Chinese import.  So, I agree with responses in that area.  However, prices and sound are considerations also.  Nevertheless, valid points are raised on the forum ... :thumb :donut :donut2 :coffee

And, thanks for the input, guys.  I knew I could count on you.

Bino

Quote from: LoMa on May 15, 2012, 10:09:29 PM

The Larrivee rosewood's all seem to share a very similar sound signature, regardless of the size and shape. Yes, they are of course different, yet the underlying tone is remarkably consistent. It's something you like or don't like. Very very different from a Martin. I love both sounds.

That wasn't much help, I'm afraid...

LoMa:

No, quite the contrary.  This was a lot of help, and it was also something that I was kind of thinking, but was really looking for in a response.  I was under the impression that the Larrivee rosewoods dreads, as perhaps all of the Larrivees, shared a remarkable consistency.  Yet, this was just an impression without much back-up.  Do others tend to agree?  This is very important to me.  And, it is an impression that I do not share with most Chinese imports. 

Furthermore, I do realize that Larrivee Dreads are a beast with a different tone from say a Martin, a Taylor, a Guild and so on.  I like the Larrivee dreads in Rosewood.  It has been a long time since I have heard the mahogany dread. However, I already have two mahogany guitars, and I really like mahogany, I just feel the want, G.AS., for Rosewood.  Because of my size, shape, and health, I should really look at Law Guy's OM3-RE...  But, I am interested in something that will play some Blue Grass with the heavier bass tones.  I don't know.  This is something that confuses me, too.   :coffee :donut :donut2
Bino

Quote from: Mikeymac on May 15, 2012, 11:44:24 PM
Let me put it to you this way: Jean Larrivee, the founder and owner of the Larrivee company, PERSONALLY HAND SELECTS THE WOOD IN HIS GUITARS; he travels to India, Italy and other places around the world and looks over every tree, then every set of wood that comes off that tree. It all gets personally approved by him. When he comes home, he works in the shop on the guitars - setting necks, painting sunbursts, buffing finishes.

Now ... which guitar do you want to buy?  :rolleye:

(BTW, I've owned a D-03R - it was an excellent dreadnaught. I happen to like mahogany dreads, so I sold it to get my current D-03/Italian Spruce top.)

Mikeymac:

Thanks.  This is a big plus - one that will probably help push me over the edge.  The fact that Jean takes the time to go out in the field and hand pick the wood, and then, he actually works in the plants on necks and the sort, well, what do you say to that?   :thumb

Bino

Quote from: DaveyO on May 15, 2012, 10:47:57 PM
As I have said again and again,
A D03r is one of the best guitars out there period.
BEdell? we dont need no stinkin Bedell. :humour:
just go for the Larrivee, you wont be sorry.
Dave

Dave:

This is too funny.  Thanks.   :roll
Bino

No experience with the others, but I've never been anything but completely satisfied by my D-03R. Never had any regret buying it. Love the sound every time I play it.
All left handed:
Larrivee D-03R
Larrivee RS-4 Root Beer
Cole Clark FL1AC
Godin Exit 22
La Patrie Concert

Thanks Zenith.  Appreciate the input.
Bino

i know a D-03R  on ebay just went unsold as the bidding only made it to 560 or something.  have a look for a deal.
The dude abides

Thanks Funkstarfish.  I just went to 650 on one in Canada.
:blush: :donut :donut2 :coffee :coffee
Bino

Quote from: bino on May 22, 2012, 01:54:12 PM
Thanks Funkstarfish.  I just went to 650 on one in Canada.
:blush: :donut :donut2 :coffee :coffee

Funstarfish:

Hey.  I did not mean to sound short with the above reply.  Really.  Thanks a bunch.  But, it appears that I did not even come close to the reserve.  There was little to no description, thus, really no feel good on this end.  It seems in all likelyhood that for a few hundred more, I could go to a good fella like Jason at Notable Guitars and have a D03-R brand new and know what I am getting - with a warranty.  And then there is that Bedell thing still eating at me.  Drats.   :?  I am still leaning towards Notable Guitars, I believe.

Bino

hey man, i hear ya, i only pass on the info because i have it... not for any other reason, haha.  I often don;t even scout the content of the adds anymore, just cataloging prices.  I have 3 or 4 friends in the market, and I'm sort of stuck at home bored, so just passing it along.  hope you find that Dream D-03R... and I'm glad to see a consumer who values customer service, that's great.  if my budgets allowed for a new guitar, id consider that route too.
The dude abides

Thanks again Funkstarfish.  The search quest has ended.  I decided to go with the Larrivee D03-R, a decision that I am sure that I will not regret.  A new one was a bit of a stretch for me, but I was so close to the new price and I would have the satisfaction of knowing exactly what I was getting - for my last guitar.  I rang up Jason at Notable Guitars and had a very enjoyable sales experience - much better than with those big box stores.  I sure am happy that the little guys are still around.  What would we do without them?  I would like to thank all for their input - I surely do appreciate it.  I will now have two Larrivees, an L05 and a D03-R.  I guess that I need to post some pictures when I get my dreadnaught.  Cheers all.   :donut :donut2 :coffee :coffee :guitar :thumb :nanadance :nana_guitar :bgrin:
Bino

Good choice - you'll LOVE it.   :nice guitar:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Thanks MikeyMac.   :smile:
Bino