Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baggs Anthem SL  (Read 1727 times)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2012, 03:57:18 AM »

I have been trying to solve a problem for my playing partner in amplifing my Guild JF30 which he has taken over,I should say that I don't mind the take over due to the fact that since taking it over it has insired him to write some amazing new tune's as well has playing some cover tune's that he has always wanted to play but he just wasn't happy with the responce from his Ovation.Now the Guild has had a Baggs active Ibeam in it for a long time and for me it isn't a problem because I understand the limitations that any pu has.He on the other hand can't because he plays it all the time unplugged.Even though he fully understands that mic'ing it isn't the easiest thing to do.His love for the tone keeps it on its stand for every gig but one when I talked him into using the GHS mic's I have.Anyway after being a pain in the butt with the sale's guy at Baggs I ordered one up.
Now the Anthem come's two ways the one I ordered has the pre-amp in the endpin jack {SL} as oppossed to a large pre-amp that mounts just inside the soundhole.The Anthem has two pu's one being an Element for under the saddle and a mic that mounts to the bridgeplate{there were no instructions for positioning included}.I mounted the mic as far foward on the bridge plate as I could even though all I had to go by was a pix in the catolog.The unit also include's a soundhole mounted volumn control with the ability to access a screw to add or remove the amount of mic.I set adjusted it tomaybe 85% mic and 15% pu.As with all pu's the test for them is if it sounds good thru my Princeton Reverb with out using any other pre-amp it will sound even better a PA and a pre-amp for more tonal control.Well I can say it past its first test rather well.Next I ran it thru the PARA and was able to remove all of the artifacts that cause a bit of ringing.
The real test are to come as it is on a roadtrip of discovery and by this Sunday I hope to finish this review as he will be recording with it and relaxing with it and playing it thru a pa while he works some things out.Also Saturday we will be playing our regular every other week gig which will give me a chance too hear how it preforms live.If it pass's all the test it will be really nice too have it in the lineup.If not it will be back to the hunt.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
giff06

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 08:02:30 PM »

I also have a Stage Pro Anthem mounted in a Larrivee LV03. It came with an SP Element and my local luthier made the swap to the Anthem for me. I play it through a Fishman LB Mini. I run about 85% mic and 15% Element also. I am still trying to find the best mix for my equipment. My understanding is the mic controls the highs and the Element controls the bass. I have found a sound hole cover helps in cleaning up extra noise also. I would be very interested in your final settings and evaluations. Will you leave the Para EQ in the mix all the time?
GGBB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 08:47:18 PM »

Thanks Rob.  I am very interested in the Anthem myself, although my iMix seems pretty good since I fixed my saddle shim problem.  I only wish the iBeam didn't pick up quite as much finger/handling noise.  I look forward to your follow up.  

Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 01:56:32 AM »

OK just got a pre-review via my friends wife as he was on the road back home and its a  .more to come after Saturdays gig...

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 05:11:46 AM »

Well just got back from the gig.We need to rehearsh more but non the less on with the review.While he was taking a break and getting some much needed beach time Keith had a chance to do some recording and a little bit of live playing.As for the computer recordings I had a chance to listen yet but he said they were very reprosenitive of the Guild true tone.While playing it thru a PA he didn't need the preamp but the guitar was running thru the computer be for going thru the 2 PA cab's.At the gig tonite he first tested it without the preamp and thru his Soundcrafter box style PA head ther wasn't enough gain and since not having run it thru the Baggs PARA he set flat and had more then enough gain to play.Since it isn't ideal to experiment while preforming he use it mostly on tunes that he didn't have to play hard on and we did get some low end rumble he was very pleased as was I with the overall performance of the system.We do need to play with it more hopefully during rehearshals but as of now for the med stumming and fingerpicked stuff happiness has finally come to his ears and for now the stuff that needs a more aggressive rythem he will continue to use his Ovation {USA}.For me after tonight I will be ordering up 2 more one for my Guild JF30/12 string which I have never found a good pu system for and one for my OM03PA for the same reasons.I will continue using the active IBeam in my LS10 as I have become use to the pickup sound and don't want to change now.I don't think I will have the problems that he has with the system for playing hard as I am much more use to working with mic'ing acoustics live then he is.I hope to add more info down the road but for those looking for a true "as close as you can get to sounding like your playing thru a mic" tone I would say go for one a really nice system.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
GGBB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 10:25:07 PM »

Thanks for the update Rob.  The Anthem is sounding like a real winner.

Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 02:45:39 AM »

Its not perfect but its the best thing I've heard and if it pass's my buds ears,he has been a recording and live sound engineer for years and is really picky then I've got to give it a big 

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Glennd

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 12:18:24 PM »

Don't know if ths helps but I have the Anthem in a Martin D21 Special. The addition of the ability to vary Mic/PU and the phase switch make it a real winner. The sound straight to the PA is excellant. I can get a lot of volume and have had very few issues with feedback. The additional cost for the added versatility is worth the differance.

1987 Takamine EN-10C
2008 Larrivee  LV-10
2010 Martin D35 Maury Muhlheison
2010 Martin D21- Special
2011 Martin HD-18V Custom
2012 Martin OMM John Renbourn
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 08:04:02 PM »

Talked to the good guy at Baggs and I posted an oop's.They do not include directions for the mic placement as the mic isn't position sensitive,my bad {to the guy's at Baggs} Sorry about that. blush

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: