Martin bridge height

Started by hadden, May 07, 2012, 10:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I wonder if someone could measure the height of the bridge on their Martin for me. Just thinking about things luthiery and making comparisons. :ph34r:
L-03 Italian Spruce

I would think that the height of the saddle is more important than the height of the bridge. Ideal height and action is a matter for the individual player to decide. It will vary from guitar to guitar regardless of maker.   

If I'm not mistaken Larrivee has 2 bridge heights.As for Martin I have nothing in the shop right now but I will put this foward some say that the bridge mass helps in dictating tone of the guitar.As for me I'm a non believer.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: hadden on May 07, 2012, 10:15:18 AM
I wonder if someone could measure the height of the bridge on their Martin for me. Just thinking about things luthiery and making comparisons. :ph34r:

You should ask over at the umgf. I'm thinking Martin has three different bridge heights.

Just eye-balling:
My L-09 has a touch higher bridge than my Martin, but there is plenty of bridge on the Martin too. I think Martin is like the other big American luthiers using thicker bridges than times past so the bridge can be shaved  to adjust for neck angle movement (let the controversy begin - again)
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Found this from Frank Ford on late 60s era Ds -- they used three different heights to acommodate different neck sets. 1/4 5/16 3/8. My L-03 looks to be a smidge over 5/16. I assume modern Martins use similar measurements.
L-03 Italian Spruce