(Found) Old Brazilian? Yamaha *pics added

Started by Danny, May 06, 2012, 06:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yup, kinda crazy since it's been right there in my closet along side other cased up guitars. I think they call the wood Jacaranda on this FG 500 1969 model (the year may be off one or two)
    Anyway one of my closet friends owned this since it was new and since I have known him 40 plus years he has had this guitar.
I always liked it and played it many times over the years. When I sold him my D-09 and my gibby B-25 he had me put this one in my closet that has steady humidity.
    So he was in town yesterday and I brought it out and gave it to him. He said "That's your guitar". We bantered back and forth but he insisted that I keep it. So I researched it and this pretty wood is Brazilian. At least from what I can find out and the top was one of the first solid spruce ones to be put on a FG model.

So is Jacaranda also Brazilian RW? It sure looks like it now that I have read about it and looked at the guitar again. And there it was in my closet for over a year now. Funny how life does these things when you aren't looking. :blush:

pics later.

Those late 60's Yamaha's are incredably well made and many did come with solid tops.I don't think that Jacarnda is Brazilian but it my be another type of S.American rosewood thats related maybe a 2nd cousin or something.Eithaer way you've got a great guitar in your hands.If I'm not mistaken in the 70's Yamaha went from being made in Japan to being made in Tiawan.Still well made but more profitable due to the Yen v the dollar.How about some pix.  :wave
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

This one is a red label and still has the made in Japan gold decal on the back of the headstock.

The tuners were put on when it was new. The original Yamaha tuners on this model look a bit quirky. Of course these Grovers need replacement and/or adjustment.

I found a way to post some pics. I have not cleaned this one up yet and the lighting was bad. But here they are.

Better pics later, after some cleanup and in better natural light. It is a pretty guitar.

Quote from: unclrob on May 06, 2012, 09:26:13 PM
Those late 60's Yamaha's are incredably well made and many did come with solid tops.

Yeah...you speak of the FGs right, `cause Yamaha made lots of all solid wood nylon strings well before the FGs...possible as far back as the late 40`s certainly early `50`s.

Quote from: sneaky on May 08, 2012, 03:13:25 AM

Yeah...you speak of the FGs right, `cause Yamaha made lots of all solid wood nylon strings well before the FGs...possible as far back as the late 40`s certainly early `50`s.
From what I read the FG 500 and 700 were the first in the FG line to get solid tops. The back is said to be solid as well, but the sides are laminate.
     But it's hard to be clear about this things.

Jacaranda is another term for Rosewood.

"Rosewood often brings about confusion. It does to me when I talk to the luthiers.... The same name is given to the same wood family of trees Bignoniaceae...Brazilian rosewood, also known as: Rio or Bahia rosewood, Jacaranda, piano wood, caviuna, honduras, obuina, palisander. Luthiers choose one type or the other according to availability and the color/tone they have in mind for their guitars. What makes a guitar more or less expensive is the cost of labor and not the wood."

http://www.mangore.com/rosewood_names.html

I don't know about the guitar but I want to come over and play skip-bo.  :wink:
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on May 09, 2012, 12:04:56 PM
I don't know about the guitar but I want to come over and play skip-bo.  :wink:
The wife and I play skip-bo a lot. She didn't like me winning so much so she duplicated my style of play. So now we have very even win/loss records.
    Last night we played three games and we each won one and then the tie breaker was won by one card.

I won't say who won. :whistling: