vintage electric

Started by ron 57, April 26, 2012, 04:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

just looked at a very cool Larivee electric circa 1985 Looks like an Gibson Explorer!
Any idea of the model name specs etc? Im a newbie in BC Canada

:welcome:  Ron

A couple questions re the 80's Larrivee Electric:

how many pickups does it have :?

Is it a bolt-on neck  :?

Does it have a maple cap :?
:gotpics:

One thing for sure is the craftmanship and parts ( if all original) will be top shelf. Having said this, it is one of the most undervalued vintage electric guitars of existence  :wacko:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

The electric guitars underwent many changes over production period of early 80's to very early 90's.  There are two main  model s: bolt-on necks and neck-thru-bodies. Bolt-on neck guitars had model names beginning with "L" (for Larrivee) and neck-thru-body designs had names beginning with "R" ( of which I have yet to hear a rational reason why). Numbers were used to designate pickup configuration, as follows:

1 - Single humbucker in bridge position
   2 - Double humbuckers
   3 - Three single coils
   4 - Two single coils plus a humbucker in the bridge position

Thus, an LS-3 was a bolt on neck design with 3 single coil pickups. An RS-2 would be a neck-thru-body design with 2 humbuckers. Body designs were not copies, exactly, but they were certainly derivative. The "S" in LS-3 stood for "Strat" derived body (Larrivee Strat -style -3 pickup), while an LT-2 would have been a "Tele" derived body.

It should be noted the the current Larrivee Electric models do not follow this naming pattern in any way.

:gotdonuts:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I will get pics and post them tomorrow!
Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi It is a R4 then!
I bought it, plays awesome will post pics when I can figure out how to
Ron

Quote from: ron 57 on April 26, 2012, 07:13:11 PM
Hi It is a R4 then!
I bought it, plays awesome will post pics when I can figure out how to
Ron

Congrats!!!!!!!

You will need 10 posts before you are enabled to post pics direct here or you can use an external site like photo bucket etc. Maybe rapid fire some posts,  # PUPS in one post color in another, condition in another we don't mind as we luv pics here  :blush:

10 post to enable is a safeguard to the Spam out there.

Also please give The Forum Rules a quick read only takes 2 or 3 minutes and forms a basis to who we all are here.

:gotdonuts:

It is black almost identical to an Explorer

It has 2 single and 1 double pu

Lovely Schaller tuners, tunamatic style bridge, a Long and McQuade sticker on rear of headstock marked June 1985

It has a thru neck I don't know what woods are used on the body/neck, very light guitar

The condition is very good. I fair dent on the top, looks like something got dropped on it, about 1/8" accross. Very little fingerboard/fret wear

It sounds terrific, there is This Pic from a discussion we had a few months back. Some resemblance  :?

It is identical just in black!

This should enable at 10 posts!

Sounds like a fine little guitar. I have an LT-1. Larrivee telecaster and it's fabulous. Especially with my new Mack HS-18 amp. 

Quote from: ducktrapper on May 04, 2012, 08:46:29 AM
Sounds like a fine little guitar. I have an LT-1. Larrivee telecaster and it's fabulous. Especially with my new Mack HS-18 amp. 
Welcome back, duck. We've missed you around here...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992