Brand new om09 and it buzzes like a toy guitar..

Started by doug052764, May 02, 2012, 06:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well she all done and players have played her.The first guy a very good player was up and down the neck playing chords and lead line's and simply said it works for him though he thought a set of 12-54's would really bring out the tone.So after talking to Doug I restrung her with a set of 12's and also installed an active Ibeam{this I couldn't donate buthe got a good price}.Any way it now has 12's on it.The next loonie to try it has been playing about 6 years and though a good player his chording is a tad sloppy but he too couldn't get it to buzz or sound fuzzy.He could get it to rattle a little but the good kind of rattle and he prefers 12's.The next player is a lady friend of mine that does some finger picking but is mostley a med-heavy strummer.I asked her to come and play as Doug had said that he does use power chords and she plays a lot of those type chords the one's that will have open strings while still playing up the neck.She really put it thru the pace's she was here for an 1 1/2 hours and rarely put it down and will be shopping for a Larrivee OM soon and like Doug she too plays a Taylor hers is one of those grand concert modals.I have been playing it on and off but it was really great of these players too come by and play its really hard for me sometime's to judge things specially since I won't get a chance to have Doug play it for me in person.I'll be shipping it back to him Tuesday and he should have it the next day.So the wait is on.A special thanks to a special forum member for his/her support. :wave
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I love a good ending.  Well done, Rob.

Can you move to Seattle and set up shop?   :bgrin:
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: prof_stack on May 25, 2012, 08:42:39 AM
I love a good ending.  Well done, Rob.

:bgrin:

Can you move to Nova Scotia and set up shop?

With Uncle as the Forums Foundation it's little wonder why we all keep coming back!!!

:cheers
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

There are some wonderful luthiers/techs in Seattle.Nova Sctia sounds interesting can you drive there as I hate/can't fly unless I'm totally "lights out".I have a friend that I worked with for a few years who was thinking of buying a Winnabaga and putting a shop in it to travel around making a living as a traveling tech.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

If I received a guitar in the condition the OP has described, I'd want my money back tout de suite. A very minor adjustment is okay, significant work is not.

This really wasn't significant work in my book,its what just about every guitar needs after purchase.The screws and nuts loosening is something that just happens now and again and it was me who decidedto go the extra mile.I'm sure if he wanted to return it that the dealer would have done so but he really like the guitar and didn't have a local tech who I feel needs more experance in how to talk to clients when there are problem.Not every guitar needs to be set up from the factory but I have found that most do regardless of the manufacturer.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: ewalling on May 25, 2012, 10:18:43 AM
If I received a guitar in the condition the OP has described, I'd want my money back tout de suite. A very minor adjustment is okay, significant work is not.

Guitar should be here tomorrow...And yes I was considering returning it and for me any work seems too much work on a new instrument in this price range, but Rob has convinced me otherwise.

Guitar arrived today, been playing it for a few hours. It is a 100% better then when I last played it.

Want to thank Rob for putting his time in to correct the problem and doing such a fine job while not asking anything in return, Thanks Rob!

Also want to thank all those with opinions and suggestions on what the problem was. And a big thanks to whom ever is responsible for my return shipping!

Doug

Quote from: doug052764 on May 30, 2012, 07:04:29 PM
Guitar arrived today, been playing it for a few hours. It is a 100% better then when I last played it.

Want to thank Rob for putting his time in to correct the problem and doing such a fine job while not asking anything in return, Thanks Rob!

Also want to thank all those with opinions and suggestions on what the problem was. And a big thanks to whom ever is responsible for my return shipping!

Doug
Cool stuff.  Now play the snot out of the guitar and get it worn in. 

Great story.
Play it daily for best results.

Now that's customer support.  See, there is value in Larrivee doing these special guitar runs.  keeps the locals happy.  happy local keeps disgruntled customers happy.  everyone wins.
The dude abides

:bowdown:  Uncle
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: funkstarfish on May 30, 2012, 08:05:58 PM
Now that's customer support.  See, there is value in Larrivee doing these special guitar runs.  keeps the locals happy.  happy local keeps disgruntled customers happy.  everyone wins.

So you know I don't work for Larrivee or for a Larrivee dealer.I use to work for a dealer 6 years ago.I did this because I knew what it needed and that was a setup.Most people don't understand that EVERY guitar regaurdless of brand needs to be setup.I also wanted to be sure there were no defects as Doug did have an uncaring tech suggest that it was him and not the guitar.As a tech it drive's me crazy that there are so many so called tech's out ther that shouldn't even touch a 1x1 piece of wood yet they dare charge for there service's.The guitar got what was needed after inspection a fret dressing,height adjustment to the nut slots and saddle and a truss rod adjustment.ALL need to remember that again no matter the brand a proper setup should be figured in when purchasing a guitar.So check with,talk too,question and get price's from your local tech for before you buy any guitar.Normally I don't do setups from out of town because I like to do follow ups but I'm finding that more and more people don't have a caring tech near them.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Ahem, Rob?
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

The other thing that gets me is when a tech/luther doesn't listen to the player.They set up a guitar for what they feel a guitar should be without reguard for the players wants.Also guys that take forever to do the work that sorta hold your guitar for weeks,if your that busy you need to take on an apprentice or hire help that you can supervise.There is no job with the exception of glueups,finish work that take's more then5-6 hours and if you've been doing this a long time and keep a check list {which I now do} you can cut this time in half.Also with a lot of work you may need to work longer hours.But to hold onto someone's guitar for 5-6 weeks just because is BS.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

So I have to ask ... do toy guitars actually ... buzz? 

Quote from: ducktrapper on May 31, 2012, 09:45:35 AM
So I have to ask ... do toy guitars actually ... buzz? 
Better to ask a Taylor owner  :bgrin:   :humour:

Kidding Friends, I like Taylors too

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on May 31, 2012, 10:09:22 AM
Better to ask a Taylor owner  :bgrin:   :humour:

Kidding Friends, I like Taylors too

I was asking about boy toy guitars not chick guitars.   :whistling:

Quote from: ducktrapper on May 31, 2012, 10:34:27 AM
I was asking about boy toy guitars not chick guitars.   :whistling:
How can I click 'Like' for this reply?

:humour:

BTW, unclrob, you da man! I'm glad that Doug is finally happy with his Larrivee - just needed a serious set-up.

I am baffled as to why a tech would not have you sit down in front of him and play a guitar after it has been set-up...unless he was not sure of his skills. Seriously, I do a lot of my own work on my guitars, but sometimes I don't have time, so I take it to a local tech, and we have a great relationship (in part because I can appreciate what he does). I NEVER pay and leave the shop until I've played the guitar (plugged in if it's an electric).

Most recent example: I had him install my new Larrivee humbuckers in my SG Standard. Well, I didn't specify how I wanted it wired up beyond "use Gibson 50's style wiring." When I picked it up and plugged in at the shop, he had wired the volumeand tone pots left-handed - but they are standard right handed pots I bought from Matthew with the pickups. So they didn't work properly, especially the tone controls. I took it back in the shop and apologized for not being clear about how I wanted them wired (and he apologized for assuming and not asking).

It only took him 5 minutes to re-wire them correctly. I walked out a happy camper and we both (re)learned a lesson about communicating what you want the tech to do - and asking if you're not sure what the customer wants.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Rev its one of the reason that I don't like doing mail order setup's,well that and I can't do the after work either without shipping.I have found that in most case's the after work has been a neck adjustment.I have just now started to except mail order setups but just a select few and only after talking to the player and that they have check with there local tech who is either too buzy,will only setup a guitar to there liking regardless of the wants and desire's of the player or there is just no one that has enough experiance or capabilities.I'll add when the local tech scare's them and they fear for the life of there guitar...
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Not that I can afford another, but I am done with Larrivee guitars.  Still quite disappointed in my purchase. It is a beautiful looking guitar, then again every company has their line of beautiful guitars using same wood, etc.

The OM was sounding very good for about a week after receiving from Rob, and slowly it went back to the condition it was in before I sent it to Rob. Rob had me give the neck just a hair more relief and after a week, nothing. Today when I went to give it another 1/8 a turn to a 1/4 per Rob as in the first try I find there is absolutely no tension in the truss rod. It is like my initial 1/8 turn made the bolt sloppy feeling, can't even tell I am turning it.

This Guitar should of been in prime condition when it left Notable guitars, maybe some minor adjustments, but in my $1749 purchased opinion, it should never had needed the work that Rob put in it. If I play anything harder then James Taylor style I get buzz and I haven't played any JT.

One day I make a trip to see Rob but not anytime in the future, too many other things to worry about then a damn guitar, besides always have my trusty Taylor and Strat to still play.

Hope future owners have better luck.