Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brand new om09 and it buzzes like a toy guitar..  (Read 19031 times)
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 02:40:23 AM »

OK folks. Show's over. Nothing to see here. Move along now.
Yes, but we do want to hear how the guitar's new owner is satisfied with the new guitar.

Play it daily for best results.
doug052764

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 06:52:16 PM »

Umm, I wish the show was over and all was good. Got the guitar back from the tech who said the neck just needed some relief. My guitar still sounds like a kids guitar from walmart. If I strum it lightly it sounds ok, but any normal strum creates buzzing, lots of it. So pissed right now, waiting to hear back from the dealer if he will eat the shipping cost and let me send it to him so he can get it right the second time. Yes I know everyone has a differnt style of playing and a guitar needs to be setup for each person, but unless your picking it lightly this guitar buzzes.

And the tech has been working on guitars for 25 plus years so I don't know what happened, all I know is the damn thing still buzzes  to the extreme.
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 06:59:16 PM »

If two techs from two different shops have set it up and it is still buzzing when you strum, perhaps you need something bigger than an OM. They're great for fingerstyle and light strum, but maybe you are just a dread-type strummer. Normal strumming can mean just about anything, you know?
I hope the dealer will work with you to resolve this to your satisfaction.
Good luck, Doug. 
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 07:19:38 PM »

Sounds like you have every right to be irritated.  I'm a little surprised that a qualified tech adjusted it and it still buzzes. Did you play it for him when you picked it up?  What is the action height at the 12th fret? How does the action height compare with your other guitars? You may need a new saddle to bring up the action some. When you say the neck is bowed up do you mean it is bowed up in the middle (7th fret) as compared to the 1st and 14th fret? This would mean the truss rod would need to be loosened to create some relief in the neck. That would be a counterclockwise turn of the truss rod. What gauge strings are you using? Did the tech level and crown the frets, adjust the nut and saddle and adjust the truss rod or did he just adjust the truss rod? Did you pay for a complete setup? Where do you live?
Sorry for all the questions but if you payed for a setup and all he did was adjust the truss rod I don't have confidence that he would even know if the guitar was dried out.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 07:51:54 PM »

A neck adjustment isn't all that is needed.When purchasing a guitar you should always save extra for a proper setup.The tech should have known and should have advised you that a setup will be required.As a tech I will not do a setup until you've had it at least 3 weeks.This give's you time to get to know the guitar and we're there may be issue.A quik neck adjustment may due but.I hope you played it before you left,this is something I insist on.I understand your frustration and if your trully unhappy that the dealer take's back the guitar and refunds your money.If there is shipping involved many dealers will not refund it but if they do thats a dealer to hang on too.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
doug052764

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 08:19:01 PM »

I live in Florida, Tampa Bay Area.  The tech just did a truss rod adjustment and nothing more. I did not play for him but we picked single notes up and down the fret and it sounded clean. It did buzz a couple times while in the shop and he stated my finger needs to be at the back of the fret, not center or up front, otherwise I will get buzz. Problem is some chords, Am, A, I can't place all fingers atthe back of one fret. Not sure I will go to him again.

I don't play real hard, playing Wish You Were Here by Pink floyd gives me entirly too much buzz and I consider that an easy strum.
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 08:29:48 PM »

It did buzz a couple times while in the shop and he stated my finger needs to be at the back of the fret, not center or up front, otherwise I will get buzz. Problem is some chords, Am, A, I can't place all fingers atthe back of one fret. Not sure I will go to him again.

I'm not trying to be an -CENSORED-, but how long have you been playing guitar? I'm curuious because of the above quote.
skatalite

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 08:49:59 PM »

Is there any way you can snap photos for us? One of the saddle, one of the nut and one of the 12th fret to see string height would be great. If you have small rulers with mm, 32nd and 64th measurements, that'd be good to use, too.

Any chance of a video of you playing? Perhaps it's your style and not the guitar?

But there are always duds, so it might just very well be the guitar.

Can I ask where you bought it from?
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 10:19:37 PM »

Take a road trip to Tallahassee and see Rob........
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 10:32:44 PM »

Take a road trip to Tallahassee and see Rob........

+1 to infinity
Rob will fix you up. The main thing here is that the OM-09 doesn't play like your other guitars so I would suggest taking the OM-09 and one of your other guitars to unclrob and he will figure out what the problem is and fix it. Click on his website and give him a call. I've thought of driving from MI to have him work on my guitars, I'd drive from Tampa in a heartbeat.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
doug052764

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 11:05:39 PM »

I will try and get some pictures.  I have been playing for about three years and try to pick up the guitar once a day , whether for 15 minutes or hours. Good at transitioning maybe a few dozen chords and always working on new ones. I am beginner I know, but never had this problem with other guitars.  When an open E chord buzzes, it is more then the player.

This guitars buzzes or rattles like an old car just playing various notes on certain strings.
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 11:24:24 PM »

I'd put on a new set of strings before I went any further.
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2012, 01:44:02 AM »

My advice is to stay calm and take it back to your local guy (or someone local) and show him what the problem is. Don't waste your time fighting petty battles.

If you send it back to whoever you originally bought it from they probably aren't going to know what to fix if it doesn't buzz when they play it.

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2012, 02:03:59 AM »

Douglas email sent.We can work this out hang in there.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
mattd

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2012, 02:05:41 AM »

This guitars buzzes or rattles like an old car just playing various notes on certain strings.

Mine started to do this also recently, not a string buzz on a fret, but in the bridge area and only sometimes.  What kind of bridge pins do you have in your guitar?  I put bone bridge pins in with my last string change and suspect that is the culprit, since it did not do it before the bone pins were installed, so the ebony ones will go back in with the next set of strings.

2002 larrivee L-05 (FOR SALE)
Martin 000x1rgt
1996 Fender 57' Ri strat (SOLD)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2012, 03:56:52 AM »

Making sure that the strings ball end is pulled up and snug with the bridgeplate and that the pin fits snug in the hole with the string is a definate make sure check.Having to much string on the tuner post.Things loosen up during shipping so checking the the screw that holds the tuner post needs to be checked as well as the screw's that hold the tuners in.Even though a guitar is new frets do settle in and I can't remember the last time I didn't need to do a fret dressing and recrowning on any guitar that came across my bench and is a must in my book when doing a setup.Not all techs check for this but I keep a check list as my memory isn't as good as it use to be of things to check out.The list gets added to now and again,it now includes checking the bracing both the top and the back.For bolt on necks I also tap the neck block plate that covers the bolt/nuts.Its scary what can go wrong in shipping and most store's just take it out of the box,tune it and hang it.Not to knock the tech because I don't know him but sometime's you get to a point and its easier to blame the player then it is to bother getting involved in the time it take's to find out whats really happening because they just don't care.When looking for a tech what you want to hear is there passion for doing what they do and a good tech will tell you that they need more time to really tell whats going on.You should always play for the tech,pick a song play it like your in your home.If they don't want you to play for them both before and after the work is done,then your better off finding another tech.I will be calling.Make sure the guitar is in your hands.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
doug052764

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2012, 12:36:41 PM »

Rob is calling me today so maybe we can determine problem by phone. The dealer has been out of town but told me to call him today, even if he says he will reset it and pay for shipping not sure I want to ship it across America and back. When I dropped it off the local tech I stated it may need a truss rod adjustment and perhaps that's all he did going by my words. I didn't state I needed a setup for one, and that would of been more time consuming on his part for two, as he had a dozen guitars needing work, that's what I am guessing anyway.

I'll play my trusty 110 till I get it resolved, thanks for the advice and opinions. 
jbrummer

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2012, 01:48:32 PM »

Doug052764,
Sure hope you're able to get this resolved--and soon! So much excitement around getting a new guitar, it sucks to have a problem like this drain it all away. After a setup on my L03 I noticed a buzz on the 6th string in the first 3 frets, but a humidity change in Memphis seems to have taken care of the issue.

As for everyone else reading this thread -- how many of us would LOVE to have unlcrob as our local tech!

". . . if I only had a brain . . ."

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2012, 04:15:47 PM »

Yea like anything new if it don't work as it suppose to it does zap the excitement and create buyers remorse. I will play it like I did this morning and think, Hey, the buzz is gone, but then I hit a certain chord and bam, no it is not gone. I will see what the dealer says, like I said I'd hate to ship it across country, different weather conditiond may undo anything he does in Colorado Springs on top of shipping concerns.  I will see what Rob says today also. I may ship it to him or drive it up one weekend...

I hate to come across as someone being too criticle of the instrument and  some may think I should accept it, but these guitars aren't cheap  and I believe I have the right to demand a clean sound. Guitar does have great volume and the tone is very nice when not hearing the rattle or buzz.

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2012, 04:52:46 PM »

I think by now you have most of us convinced that you have an issue. I also believe unclob addressed the problems that could cause this. I have had my share of buzzing and fret problems etc. But after some TLC I always come away a happy Larrivee owner.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: