Pages: [1] 2 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brand new om09 and it buzzes like a toy guitar..  (Read 19028 times)
doug052764

Ignore
« on: May 02, 2012, 11:15:53 PM »

The A and D strings buzz even with an slightest of picking at different positions  up and down the neck. Buzzing sounds as if it coming from the pins/saddle area .  It was shipped to me and would hate to have to ship it back, also hate to have to pay for someone to fix it after shelling out good money for it. 

Love the size, feels more comfortable then my D60 and sounds great other then the buzz.  Waiting to hear from the dealer for a solution. Any ideas on how to fix it myself appreciated.

Also, don'y want to name the business as of now, things do happen and don't want to give a small business a bad rap here.

The guitar was set up for medium to low action I was told.
skatalite

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 11:21:37 PM »

If the buzzing sounds like it's coming from the bridge pins, you can tune down your guitar and take the pins out to make sure the string balls are seated correctly.
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 11:39:45 PM »

It could be the nut around the tuner posts that are loose too. 

rwskaggs

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 12:24:20 AM »

All sorts of things might cause buzzing - if you are not comfortable with trouble shooting, take it to a good tech for analysis pretty quickly.  Then, if it's a major problem, you have time to return it.... yak

RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart   Guitar" SJ; Osage Orange; Master Grade Italian Spruce; Inlay by Jimi Wingert   :D
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar + Italian double top
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl
Seagull Parlor in Nashville high tuning
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 12:36:16 AM »

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Setup/BuzzDiagnosis/buzzintro.html

doug052764

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 02:29:48 AM »

ok thanks for the info all, I will try process of elimination from the buzz web site. It's a really nice guitar, sure it is something simple.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 03:30:24 AM »

Doug if you've never worked on a guitar and as good as Frets info is its worth it to bring it to a tech you trust for an opinion.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
doug052764

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 03:33:23 PM »

The neck bows up considerbly, you can eye the curve starting at the 4th fret. Don't need a straight edge against the neck to see it is so visible. I tried my truss rod that came with my D60 because the OM didn't come with one, there was already pretty good tension on it. A couple quarter turns changed nothing and don't want to chance it because I don't know how to fix guitars. Going to take my brand new $1700 guitar in to a tech.

This is bs to have to deal with this, have a taylor 110 thats been banged around everywhere, even left in my truck in the florida sun for a few hours and never incountered a single problem.

If it wasn't for my D60 being so solid I would have doubts.
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 04:12:57 PM »

This probably isn't a matter of fixing something that's broken. Setups are personal. Every guitar you buy ideally should be setup to suit your playing style. It's kinda of hard for a tech to do that long distance. Take unclrob's advice.

My guess is no one has done anything wrong and you simply need to have it setup just like every new guitar should be setup.

Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 04:25:37 PM »

Tinkering with a setup (or having someone do it for you) when first bringing a new guitar into the house is not so uncommon.
Ordinarily, these are rather quick, non-invasive adjustments.
Until you find out you have a guitar with a big problem, I recommend taking a deep breath and read the frets material on buzzing or take it to a shop with  a good tech on the staff.
Odds are this story will have a rather quiet and satisfactory resolution. Most of them do, anyway.
doug052764

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 07:54:13 PM »

You are probably right and it will be something simple that an experienced tech can fix. FYI to everyone reading, it was set up to my liking by the dealer who I bought it from. He said all was good when he shipped it. Seems like a good guy and there were many recomendations by him on this forum, so I will see.
I dropped it off for a tech to look at, but he won't get to it till Friday. I may not be able to pick it up until Tuesday 5/8 due to my schedule and my girl wanting to go to EPCOT this weekend, uuuggghh!  But I will post as soon as I get it back.

Just frustrating to wait and have to shell out most likely 50 to 100 dollars to get the instrument properly set up.
Dru Edwards

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 09:31:21 PM »

If the neck bows up considerably then perhaps you just need a truss rod adjustment. If you don't know how to do this or don't feel comfortable (it's a simple process), do you have a friend who can look at your guitar to determine what needs to be done? If not, take it to a tech. Sounds like you love the guitar so get it setup correctly.

Sorry to hear that you received the guitar in this condition. Contact the seller to see if they will refund you for the setup. They should have let you known about the buzz ... assuming it isn't related to shipping.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 10:39:59 PM »

You have stated that you adjusted the truss rod already. I think that in most cases that's unwise. Let a guitar react to the new environment and be sure the moisture level of the wood is proper first.
   Buzz problems are a nuisance, especially on a new guitar, but a stable moisture level and a good set up normally is the remedy.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 10:25:15 PM »

Sorry to hear that you received the guitar in this condition. Contact the seller to see if they will refund you for the setup. They should have let you known about the buzz ... assuming it isn't related to shipping.

It is very possible that it dried out during shipping, a tech will be able to tell that just by taking a quick look at it.  If it is dry, wait to get it set up until it gets used to its new environment. These solid wood instruments are going to change pretty quickly with changes in relative humidity (in the guitars environment not the outdoor humidity that they give on the weather report). If you keep it in a humidity controlled room it will stabilize itself.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 11:50:23 AM »

As disappointing as this is, it is good to know that it is fairly easily fixable.
doug052764

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 02:01:16 PM »

Well thanks for the encouraging words guys. I have it in the shop and a tech should get to it Monday to let me know whats up.  Just frustrating to drop so much on a guitar to open the box and be able to see the neck bowed like it was. My only experience with guitars is my Taylor 110 which never has any problems and a Larrivee D60 made in 2002 which is also problem free. Hope it is just an any fix like you folks say.......Let you know more next week
doug052764

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 04:18:34 PM »

Tech called, said all was good, truss rod was way too tight........so I will see tomorrow when I pick it up.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 04:22:07 PM »

Yup

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 04:47:21 PM »

OK folks. Show's over. Nothing to see here. Move along now.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 05:00:02 PM »

Yup

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Pages: [1] 2 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: