Elbow Pain For Dreadnaught Players?

Started by willfo, April 30, 2012, 03:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have recently developed some nagging pain in the tendons in my elbow that I believe may be caused by my guitar. It isn't all that noticeable until I've been playing for awhile, shake someone's hand, or try to open a jar, but it has me a little spooked. I've heard of a lot of people switching to a smaller sized guitar , but are there any known excersizes or stretches that I might be able to try to ease the pain in the mean time? A 6 pack and an aspirin work ok for friday night , but by saturday I need around 10 beers to losen up  :winkin:.  If anyone has suffered the same problem I'd be interested in how they deal with it. And is it really due to improper technique , or just from playing so much for the last 25yrs or so?
Larrivee D03RE
Fender Nashville B-Bender Tele
Republic Tricone
various banjo , mandolins, and lap steels

You sir are developing tenis elbow.Contact you doctor....NOW...before it gets worse.I wear a brace when mine acts up,it was waaaay tooo late for me to get treatment and has since produce tendinious in my left wrist.It come's and goes now,last a couple of weeks at a time about every 4 months.So PLEASE GET MEDICAL ATTENTION ASAP!!!!
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Just one word for you,,,relafin. Not sure how to spell it, but it works. Been using it lately for a bad case of bursitis.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Thank You for the replies , I am going to talk to a Dr. as soon as possible , if I cant play guitar life would be miserable , especially as a left handed trumpet player.
Larrivee D03RE
Fender Nashville B-Bender Tele
Republic Tricone
various banjo , mandolins, and lap steels

I get tennis elbow in both arms several times a year.... Ibuprofen time  :crying:

Pete

1992 Larrivée L-09 Koa

I have had the same preoblems perhaps not as bad as some here.  I was able to do a number of flex exercises with the wrist and elbow joint and squeeze a tennis ball for relief.  The pain persisted for about 8 months and the tennis ball routine gave me the best relief.  I could also do it just aboiut anywhere, driving or watchint TV etc.  Gently squeezing while flexing the wrist and arm were the most helpful.  It has been 5 years now with no re accurance.
Hope this is helpful.