Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schatten HFN as alternative to K&K  (Read 5881 times)
lmacmil

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2012, 05:55:32 PM »

I have a K&K in my OM-03 and it sounds good on its own and very good thru the K&K Pure preamp.  Since I only do open mics, I find the belt-clip Pure a little cumbersome and the recently released K&K internal preamp quite the kludge.  I recently bought another (non-Larrivee) guitar and decided to go in a different direction.  It had to be active.  I didn't want a sound hole pickup which always sound a little electric to me.  I considered a UST but since I am an aggressive strummer, I was concerned about the dreaded piezo "quack."

After much research and "fretting" I decided on a Schatten HFN active with volume and tone controls.  I am very pleased with how it sounds.  For those unfamiliar with the Schatten, it's a piezo attached to a rosewood "bridge."  Said bridge gets attached to the bridge plate directly under the saddle.  No hole in the saddle slot, no piezo quack from hard strumming.  It brought out the bass in my grand auditorium-size guitar.  In fact, I think the guitar sounds better amplified than it does on its own which is fine because it will see regular duty at open mics. 

I'll also mention that I had good pre-sale tech support from Schatten and great service from the seller, Bluestar Music.

For anyone looking for an alternative to the K&K, soundhole or UST pickups, this should be on your list.
willfo

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 08:53:32 PM »

Thanks so much for the tip , I will look into those for sure! Thinking about getting a new guitar(always) and was debating getting a pre-installed pick up or trying something different  and saving a bit on the initial guitar purchase.

Larrivee D03RE
Fender Nashville B-Bender Tele
Republic Tricone
various banjo , mandolins, and lap steels
12stringer

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 05:24:48 PM »

I have a schatten dualie which sounds great in my L-02....it is passive so i run it through a behringer acoustic guitar preamp...this combo works great for me.  The HFN active looks like a great pickup as well.  Schatten are in Canada and have a great customer service phone line.  I play in a church setting so no feedback problems....don't know how the pickup performs under high volume levels.   

Randy
Larrivee L-02
Guild F212XL
gerrychuck

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 08:36:16 PM »

I have a Schatten in my Tacoma DR-38;  it is simply the best pickup I have ever used.  I just purchased an SD-03R with an LR Baggs under-saddle piezo, and it isn't even close;  the Schatten's sound is so much more natural and rounded, with none of the piezo quack that the Baggs has.  I strongly recommend the Schattens.  Just FYI, they make pickups for every stringed instrument on the planet, and their solution for resos, particularly try-cones, is absolutely fantastic.

Tacoma DR-38
Larrivee SD-03R
Ryioji Matsuoka dreadnought (1974):  Given to son #1
Cort Earth 200:  Given to son #2
Custom Fender strat
Hamer Stellar
Ancient Gibson acoustic, model unknown
lmacmil

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 03:39:01 AM »

I have just ordered a Schatten Player (single channel end pin) preamp to try in my K&K equipped OM-03.  The input impedance of 2 megohms is a good match for the K&K.  I went with the Schatten because I think the K&K add-on preamp is kind of a kluge (I understand why they did it that way for people who can't or don't want to solder.)  Hoping it will let me ditch the K&K Pure (which is a great preamp but the belt-clip arrangement is just too clumsy for me.)  Will post an update on the sound once it's installed.
kennykoa

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 05:35:46 PM »

My new Larrivee D-04 arrives today! I ordered a Schatten Design HFN Artist II with two volume controls and will install this system in the new Larrivee D-04. I'm also thinking of adding a Shadow Nanomag to the end of the D-04's fingerboard to utilize the Schatten Artist II preamp's second channel. Les Schatten recommends adding a magnetic pickup as a second source to his system, rather than a UST, so as not to disturb the tonal integrity of the HFN pickup's bridegplate-saddle-line location. Listening to audio samples from Doug Young's Pickup Test Page, the Nanomag sounds like a good choice for a magnetic-pickup addition to turn the Schatten HFN Artist II system into an excellent dual-source rig for the Larrivee D-04. I'll keep you all abreast of how everything progresses.

2012 Larrivee D-04 (Trance Audio Amulet M)
2012 Martin D-18 (Trance Audio Amulet M)
2008 Martin D-18GE
2012 Taylor 314CE LTD Koa (ES)
2011 Taylor 355ce 12-String (ES)
2012 RainSong CO-WS1000N2 (Fishman Prefix Plus-T)
2009 RainSong WS1000 (Fishman Prefix Plus-T)
2008 Adamas 2080 NWT (VIP-5)

Bose L1 Model II w/T1 ToneMatch, two B1 Bass
ZachStevenson

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 08:27:49 PM »

Hey kennykoa,
Any update on the Schatten? Was it easy to install? How's the sound? I'm considering getting the HFN Active VT for my OM-03.

Cheers!

Zach
--
OM-03
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: