Tinman's new "Heart Guitar" build

Started by rwskaggs, April 30, 2012, 11:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My heart story is unusual. I went into hospital  nine years ago for a routine angioplasty. Unfortunately the doctor messed up and my heart stopped for a few minutes. So I am on my second life and enjoying every darn minute of it.   :bgrin:
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Quote from: carruth on May 21, 2012, 04:05:00 PM
My heart story is unusual. I went into hospital  nine years ago for a routine angioplasty. Unfortunately the doctor messed up and my heart stopped for a few minutes. So I am on my second life and enjoying every darn minute of it.   :bgrin:

Glad you are still with us!    :+1:
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart   Guitar" SJ; Osage Orange; Master Grade Italian Spruce; Inlay by Jimi Wingert   :D
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar + Italian double top
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl
Seagull Parlor in Nashville high tuning

Me too. It scared the living daylights out of my wife and children, but it was actually a wonderful peaceful experience for me.  :roll        A real wake-up call if you like.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Here's a photo of the top during the bracing process - does the pattern look familiar to the Larrivee aficianados here?
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart   Guitar" SJ; Osage Orange; Master Grade Italian Spruce; Inlay by Jimi Wingert   :D
Rainsong H-DR1100N2

I see two influences here. The symmetrical lower face braces are a Larrivee influence but I also see a Somogyi style upper transverse brace whose ends are not tapered so that the open grain on the ends butt up against the sides.
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Quote from: kwakatak on June 01, 2012, 03:31:09 PM
I see two influences here. The symmetrical lower face braces are a Larrivee influence but I also see a Somogyi style upper transverse brace whose ends are not tapered so that the open grain on the ends butt up against the sides.

The luthier (Chris Kenney) has used this bracing on one of his creations previously - he called it "the Beast".  Wonderful cedar/walnut bass a friend uses at church and which prompted me to look Chris up at his Acorn House Woodworking....

We'll see how it sounds - if I master a piece (maybe the Tinman's song?)  I'll post it here!    :guitar
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Rainsong H-DR1100N2

Quote from: rwskaggs on May 21, 2012, 07:49:55 AM
That's so cool!  It is certain to evoke questions and give you an opportunity to share your blessing of extended life.  Heart disease ain't for sissies, is it?   :yak:

You got that right.   :thumb I have been on Bonus time since June 1991!  In many ways I feel it was the best thing to ever happen to me.
Steve ....aka the SMan

Quote from: SMan on June 01, 2012, 04:46:36 PM
You got that right.   :thumb I have been on Bonus time since June 1991!  In many ways I feel it was the best thing to ever happen to me.

Almost worth a second thread...I just got back from a semi-annual heart biopsy today.  They gave me a new heart almost 3 years ago, and now they are taking it back ONE PIECE AT A TIME!  Reassurances of tissue regeneration are faint when you see the pac-man grappling hook snag 4 tiny pieces of your heart on a fluroscope.  (And yes, I'm awake through it all....)  Small price to pay to ensure there's not rejection going on with the foreign tissue....

What are some of the others' "heart wrenching" experiences here?  I'd bet some stories would make the rest of us very thankful!    :+1:
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Rainsong H-DR1100N2

Got a note from the builder (Chris Kenney) today about the back.  He wanted to know if I desired a cocobolo center strip or not.  Cocobolo is going to be used on the bindings and as a fretboard...

At first it seemed like a good idea to add the strip b/c osage orange is normally a pretty plain wood with very little figure...then he sent me this photo.  What would you choose?
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Rainsong H-DR1100N2

Quote from: rwskaggs on June 10, 2012, 08:00:47 AM
Got a note from the builder (Chris Kenney) today about the back.  He wanted to know if I desired a cocobolo center strip or not.  Cocobolo is going to be used on the bindings and as a fretboard...

At first it seemed like a good idea to add the strip b/c osage orange is normally a pretty plain wood with very little figure...then he sent me this photo.  What would you choose?
Really you need to ask  :drool:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Looks perfect, I think I would leave it alone, beautiful grain pattern
Tom:

Peace and LONG LIVE THE BLUES...

2011 Larrivee Wildwood Custom Dv03re
1994 Fender Stratocaster
1964 Fender Duo Sonic ll
2009 Highland Royal Deluxe
Line 6 flextone original model
Mesa Maverick Dual Rectifier
Vox Pathfinder 15r

That book match is beautiful just as it is!  :thumbsup
Steve ....aka the SMan

Before I posted, I had already told him to go simple on it...no center strip.  Can't quite believe the figure in this one!  Glad to hear ya'll agree.     :tongue:
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Rainsong H-DR1100N2

Good call leave it be,its too nice to mess with.

To your heart stories.My wife had what was called a liquid stroke 5 months into her pregnatsey,it seems that due to some earlier blood disorder and it not being followed up with she had a bacterial vegitationgrowing on a heart valve that dislodge causing the stroke.6 months after giving birth she had to have a heart valve replace {we went with the magnetic one}.She's fine now but dang that was the scariest thing we ever had to go thru.Plus it was pretty painfu for me because everytime she sneezed or coughed and I was near by she would bury her fingers and nails into my flesh.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Strokes are scary - I'm told it's a miracle I didn't have one with the atrial fib that lead to my heart failure...  Glad your wife is doing better and your arm is healing, unclrob!
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Rainsong H-DR1100N2

Well, like all good construction projects, there has been a change of plans.  The luthiers on the AGF pointed out that the back we'd selected was Flat Sawn rather than Quarter Sawn.  The past couple of days has been spent searching out a new wood set in Quarter Sawn Osage Orange.

This one (below) is making its way to Acorn House Workshop / Chris Kenney - luthier.  It will replace the one I posted a pic of earlier....

Sincere thanks to all for their input and support, and especially to Chris for tolerating the email mixups well.  I'm still excited!     :nana_guitar

:thumbsup
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Rainsong H-DR1100N2

Whoops, that sure was some pretty wood though :blush: Maybe a backstrip would be nicer with this set.

Quote from: dependan on June 13, 2012, 06:29:00 PM
  Whoops, that sure was some pretty wood though :blush: Maybe a backstrip would be nicer with this set.

You're right...maybe when Chris gets it glued up we can take another look-see.  I like the idea of a backstrip when the figure is more plain.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to it, other than the routing/application process?  Do you know if it's more or less likely to develop a back seam crack?  I'm a nut about humidifying, but sometimes the unthinkable happens....
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Rainsong H-DR1100N2

IMHO you made the right decision as regards the back. This is going to be one special guitar.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K