Tinman's new "Heart Guitar" build

Started by rwskaggs, April 30, 2012, 11:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

As many of you know, I'm a heart transplant patient and I've been blessed with a new chance at life. To celebrate and commemorate this gift of more time, I've commissioned a small jumbo build.  I plan to go back to the Cleveland Clinic and encourage those waiting for new hearts....just as I was encouraged by former transplant patients.

It is being built by Christopher Kenney, of Acorn House Workshop. You can follow his blog and the photos of the build here: http://acornhouseworkshop.com/in-the-workshop/

The headstock design being done by Jimmi Wingert of Wingert Guitars, and I've attached the draft and a few more of the start of the "Heart Guitar":

The plan is to have a Cocobolo headstock veneer, fingerboard and body binding with Bloodwood rosette and a heart-shaped soundport. Body will be Osage Orange in mini-jumbo configuration with a Venetian cutaway. The top is Master Grade Italian Spruce, and the Tuners will be open-backed Waverlys with snakewood knobs. I'm having Chris install a B-band dual source pickup for me as well.

This will be a 12 fret design, and with the curve of the mini-jumbo, it should be a very comfortable guitar to hold and play. I've handled one of Chris's builds (an acoustic bass in cedar/walnut) and his attention to fit, finish and tone is awesome. I'm happy to post this here and give him some public attention.

Stay tuned for further developments! Starting to get excited for my first custom guitar....
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart   Guitar" SJ; Osage Orange; Master Grade Italian Spruce; Inlay by Jimi Wingert   :D
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar + Italian double top
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl
Seagull Parlor in Nashville high tuning

Looks like it will be a wonderful guitar and a wonderful way to share with others.  Keep us posted and keep on playin', Tinman!  

P.S. I think I now see the meaning in your forum name. :thumbsup
Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
Wessex BBb Helicon

Great Story! Beautiful inlay!
I suspect your would agree the cause wasn't worth going through if you could have avoided it, but a great teaching to turn it into wisdom and beauty.  Congrats!   :wave :wave :coffee
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Thanks, cke & Tuba Mike - the years since I first fell ill with an enlarged heart were pretty traumatic for our family.  In the midst of it, our handicapped daughter passed away and I was more than ready to follow her....

When you actually WANT to die, God sometimes has a different plan.  Even the docs gave up hope, but they don't call the shots, and I certainly didn't get to either....

All I can do now is dance in the rain!   :nanadance :nana_guitar :nanadance :nana_guitar :wave
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart   Guitar" SJ; Osage Orange; Master Grade Italian Spruce; Inlay by Jimi Wingert   :D
Rainsong H-DR1100N2

Quote from: rwskaggs on April 30, 2012, 12:52:38 PM
Thanks, cke & Tuba Mike - the years since I first fell ill with an enlarged heart were pretty traumatic for our family.  In the midst of it, our handicapped daughter passed away and I was more than ready to follow her....

When you actually WANT to die, God sometimes has a different plan.  Even the docs gave up hope, but they don't call the shots, and I certainly didn't get to either....

All I can do now is dance in the rain!   :nanadance :nana_guitar :nanadance :nana_guitar :wave

Sorry about your daughter but I love your philosophy. May your new guitar be as much pleasure for you as your new heart has given you the opportunity for the pleasure of life. Keep dancin'-- rain or shine!

f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

So happy to hear about your new lease on LIFE!!!!  Looks like it's going to be a fantastic guitar that will bring you years of enjoyment. Keep the pics coming.

Quote from: rwskaggs on April 30, 2012, 12:52:38 PM
Thanks, cke & Tuba Mike - the years since I first fell ill with an enlarged heart were pretty traumatic for our family.  In the midst of it, our handicapped daughter passed away and I was more than ready to follow her....

When you actually WANT to die, God sometimes has a different plan.  Even the docs gave up hope, but they don't call the shots, and I certainly didn't get to either....

All I can do now is dance in the rain!   :nanadance :nana_guitar :nanadance :nana_guitar :wave
Elijah went through this (1 Kings 19) I been through having "enough of this life" myself.
   Thanks for the encouragement, man has more than one heart and I'm uplifted by your thoughts.

And I'm looking forward to this build thread :+1: keep the posts coming, Tinman is way cool :thumbsup

Thanks, Danny.  We're all just learning how to 'dance in the rain'...  Have a blessed week!    :thumbsup
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Rainsong H-DR1100N2

very cool concept, can't wait to see it unfold.
The dude abides

This will be a build to watch.  I love the stories behind these builds, and this one is no exception.  Life has ups and downs and you have seen the downs.  May Christ bless you!

PS Keep the photos coming.
Larrivee OM-03 MQ

Thought I would post a pic of the cheap, low end Waverly - Snakewood tuners that are going on the "Heart Guitar"... :drool:
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Rainsong H-DR1100N2

Here's a note from Chris:
"I've been trying to upload photos to my profile, but its not working. Here is your finished rosette. The shiny bits are glue that will disappear in the finishing process. The bits at the top will be covered by the fingerboard, so you'll have you four heart muscles."
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Rainsong H-DR1100N2

really awesome concept
The dude abides

Thats going to be a nice guitar, good for you.  Those cheap Waverly's should keep it in tune, they're not Pings but you can't have the best of everything.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Got an old set of Pings floating around here someplace...guess I could always stick them on, even if they slip a bit.  I'd hate to ruin the ambiance by sticking just any old thing on it.... :bgrin:
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Rainsong H-DR1100N2

Got a note from Jimmi Wingert today:  "...Here are a few iphone pictures. Don't judge them to harshly :) It's still gunky with glue and the tiny detail pieces haven't been added yet (and the whole face is in the process)"
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Rainsong H-DR1100N2

That headstock is going to look great.  Custom guitars allow you to add special touches.  This one i'm sure will stay in the family and be handed down from generation to generation.   :thumb
Larrivee OM-03 MQ

Great story Tinman. That new guitar is going to be wonderful.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Surprised I have missed this thread.  What a great concept for a guitar.  Glad you are still with us "Tinman".   I am very sorry about your daughter.   The rosette and headstock inlays are looking good.  I will be anxious to follow the build more closely.  Glad you are dancing in the rain.

FWIW I too have had a second chance after a couple of heart surgeries.  I had my aortic valve and part of the aorta replaced (and also came very close to cashing in my chips).  I am planning to inlay an aortic valve design on the headstock of the OM guitar I built last year. 

Steve ....aka the SMan

Quote from: SMan on May 21, 2012, 07:33:06 AM

FWIW I too have had a second chance after a couple of heart surgeries.  I had my aortic valve and part of the aorta replaced (and also came very close to cashing in my chips).  I am planning to inlay an aortic valve design on the headstock of the OM guitar I built last year. 

That's so cool!  It is certain to evoke questions and give you an opportunity to share your blessing of extended life.  Heart disease ain't for sissies, is it?   :yak:
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Rainsong H-DR1100N2