Are You Still Using Elixirs?

Started by Admin, June 10, 2003, 11:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've tried a lot of different strings, and settled on the Elixer Phosphor Bronze lights on my OM-03R SH.  They bark like a big dog when flat picked, but sound real sweet and soft when finger picked.  But as others have said, it's really between the specific guitar and the player's ears...

wow, this one is back from the dead. i hope no one is still using the same set of elixers.

I'm using Elixer Phos. Bronze on some of my axes, both lites and bluegrass sets, depending on the guitar and what I'm using it for. Other guitars are being  strung with Newtones Phos. bronze, the "Drop" 'D' set.
"The hardest thing in this world .... is to live in it." - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Elixers work better on boomier guitars like Martin.  Paradoxically, I think they sound like junk of Larrivees and the Larrivees are much much better off with Martin SP's (which is what i have on them).

No SP dont last as long, but they also only cost 1/2-1/3 of the price.
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon

I love the Elixer Nano PBs I have on my OM-05mt hey sound great and have for the last 6 WEEKS!!!!  On the other hand I have Nano mediums 80/20s on my Parlor and they aren't quite doing it for me...maybe I'll try the PBs next.

So....yes...still using Elixers....just Nanos

:cheers

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

Yeah, I like Elixirs -- PB and Nano are the only ones I've tried so far. Gonna try Polywebs on the LS-05 -- I note that Pete Huttlinger uses these on the Spruce/Hog small-bodied Collings that he plays. These (i.e. small-box hog-bodied guitars) tend to sound bright, so maybe the Polys will help EQ the treble.

L-03R
LS-05

This is really interesting. I guess it is true, the best strings are the ones you like.
I have been using Nanoweb (yes the Polywebs with their thicker coating are not as lively sounding to me).
I also been using the D'addario EXP's. I put a set of non-coated on and I thought I was sticking and squeeking, I decided I like the slick feel.
I have tried the DM's in the past and have a friend who swears by them, but I am not real fond of the sound.
The Elixr PB's are really alive and seem to last forever. I got a great deal on the EXP's so I will be playing them for a while.
Been using either the hybrid set 12-56, or straight meds. I find the heavier strings just ring better on the guitar.
My fingers adjusted quickly, and the truss rod needed a little tweek, but they all play smooth as butter.
I have a Dread and an OM.
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes

I kill Martin SP's in an hour... so it isn't a good cost/benefit ratio. :(  I use Elixir PB Nanoweb Custom Lights.
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

SPs last a long time for me. But then again my body is of the most pristine condtion. At least they last longer than most uncoated strings. I don't like the modern sound of coated strings.

I use Dean Markley Alchemys on my 6 strings. I just got my 12 string (had been going back and forth on strings on the Mossman) and put nano lights on the LV-03-12. Then I broke a g-string (embarassing) and had to put an uncoated string on to replace it.

I hate changing strings and will do just about anything to keep from having to do it!

:nanadance :nana_guitar :nanadance :guitar :nanadance :nana_guitar :nanadance
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

No matter what kind of strings I have on my L-09 , nano, cleartone, jp, dr rare, exp or regular ej17's they begin to break after two weeks so I stick with the ej17's which I can get for next to nothing compared to elixirs. When it comes to tone, I actually do like the ej17's the best since after two weeks they begin to become dull they are aready breakin and im changing em

I still have a set of the prototype elixer strings they sent to me all those years ago (wonder if they are worth onything on ebay?).  They have certainly improved since then, but I don't care for them.  I use JP or D'Addario.

I use Elixir PBs on both my Larrivees...and my Taylors, too.  I use D'Addario EXPs on my Webber.
Phil

"History is something that never happened, written by someone who wasn't there."

R. Taylor Style 1 WR
Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
Taylor GS Custom
Taylor PG-LTD
Taylor 600-SPEC
Taylor 510-LTD
Taylor 510 Cocobolo
Taylor 412-M

I've strayed from Elixirs a couple of times.  One was a set of Martin Phosphor-Bronze, which got cruddy somewhat quickly on the wound strings and sucked the shimmer out of the lower strings on the guitar - and quickly switched back.

Lately I've had a set of D'Addario EXPs on the Larry (someone sent me a coupon for 2 freebie sets) and I have to admit that they have lasted much longer than I expected they would.  More string squeak on wound strings than with Elixirs, so once I'm done with this set, I will be putting Elixirs back on and keep the extra set of EXP in the case for backup.

Elixirs allow me to be more sloppy with my playing without sounding like a squeak-fest.  To me that's a good thing.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I've been using Newtone MC 12-54 and I love them, they last forever. They sound their best at about
2 or 3 months. I usually change them after 6 months whether they need it or not.  :thumbsup
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

i used them for a couple years. strangely enough, i got laid off from my job and felt irresponsible spending all that money on guitar strings, being unemployed, so i tried some other strings. ive never looked back since. im pretty much a martin SP player now. though i do like those bulk unpackaged strings from www.stringthis.com  to me, these are an amazing value. i do like elixirs, but it just bugs me to pay that much for guitar strings.

I'm using the Nanos on my OM-03R 11-52 set and I like them and have no reason to change them at this point...I had the same experience with John Pearse strings...one day and totally dead too bad cause they sounded great! I play a mix of finger and strumming and have been known to hit it hard!

How long are the Nanowebs lasting for you guys?

Chow,
Seegs

I have become addicted to Elixirs, which is unfortunate, because I break at least one string every other gig. We're talking about a total of 12 hours of playing time maximum before I break one.

To answer the immediate responses:

Yes, I have checked, sanded and/or filed and rechecked my saddle over and over again.

Yes, I have tried polywebs, heavier string gagues, and checked my saddle again.

I have checked my picks and fingernails to see if they contain acid or some type of hidden metal cutters.

I tend to break G's and D's constantly. So does my friend Mike, who plays gigs with me.

I'm moving up to mediums, because these last a little longer. I love the tone and sustain these strings produce, but I can't seem to make a G last for more than a gig and a half.

shout 'Freebird' one more time. see what happens.

Quote from: aaronjnoone on September 22, 2006, 09:48:42 AM
I have become addicted to Elixirs, which is unfortunate, because I break at least one string every other gig. We're talking about a total of 12 hours of playing time maximum before I break one.

To answer the immediate responses:

Yes, I have checked, sanded and/or filed and rechecked my saddle over and over again.

Yes, I have tried polywebs, heavier string gagues, and checked my saddle again.

I have checked my picks and fingernails to see if they contain acid or some type of hidden metal cutters.

I tend to break G's and D's constantly. So does my friend Mike, who plays gigs with me.

I'm moving up to mediums, because these last a little longer. I love the tone and sustain these strings produce, but I can't seem to make a G last for more than a gig and a half.
you may consider buying some bulk G strings from one of the online string dealers. they wouldnt be elixirs, but at least youd get the tone/feel....not to mention your money's worth out of the other 5 strings.

Quote from: the_sound_of_acoustic_soul on September 23, 2006, 12:00:09 AM
you may consider buying some bulk G strings from one of the online string dealers. they wouldnt be elixirs, but at least youd get the tone/feel....not to mention your money's worth out of the other 5 strings.

Yeah, I did that too. That's when I started breaking D's ^_^

shout 'Freebird' one more time. see what happens.