Are You Still Using Elixirs?

Started by Admin, June 10, 2003, 11:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmer Roy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I used Elixirs for the first year that I had my Larrivee and liked them at the time, but I had several sets of Martin SP Lights on hand and decided to give them a try. As long as I keep them fresh, I prefer the Martin SPs, the guitar just sounds more "alive" to my ears. What are the rest of you using? How many of you are continuing to use the Elixirs?

I should add that I liked the Elixirs when I used a pick, but I play mostly fingerstyle and the Martin SPs just sound better to me when I play that way. I look forward to hearing your thoughts!  

Elbody

I still used the elixers lights 12-53. Next changes will be the Nanowebs...then the D'Addarios EXP lights 12-53. Then i will decide which of the three. I've used D'Addarios in my other T***** acoustic and its the BOMB. Depends on the guitar though. That ones a DREAD as opposed to the L-Body. Will see.Plus i tend to sweat a lot so maybe the Elixers would be a better choice. But the D'Adds have a coating too, so will see which of the three gets a NOD for me at least.

Happy Pickin'

Peace!!!  

Farmer Roy

Elbody's post brings up a good point about sweaty and oily hands. One thing that I have to do before I touch a guitar is thoroughly wash my hands. I spend so much time during the day working on farm machinery that my hands are permanently stained by grease and oil. Even this time of year when I spend more time in my office doing bookwork, I still find myself washing my hands before playing.......it's become a habit. I get fairly good life out of non-coated strings and it's not unusual for me to have a set of strings last for 2-3 months even when I play an hour or two every night. (Harvest is another story, I can never get my hands thoroughly clean of grease and grime. It's such a stressful time of year that I look forward to grabbing my guitar each evening to help unwind before I go to bed so I still play several hours a week. I can't get more than a week or two out of a set strings. After a couple of playings, I'll wipe down the strings and the cloth will be black!! I assume it's probably the acids from the grime that breaks them down so quickly.) Anyway, except for the 4 weeks during harvest, string life isn't a big issue to me. If sweat and acid from my hands was a problem year 'round I wouldn't think twice about continuing to use the Elixirs.  

frrobert

I use medium polywebs on my L-05. Next to changing the saddle from tusq to bone, use of these strings had the greatest influence on toning down the brightness of the guitar. I also tune down a half step.

I love these strings, but only on this guitar.

Bob  

gospelRon

Nope.For my style of playing I like the Martin SP 80/20 over anything else.I usually get a month or so out of em' and that suits me just fine.Besides,my C10 has so much bass that the Elixrs couldn't do it justice.

Mybronda1

I use the Nanoweb lights on my Taylors, Guild, Gibsons and Larrivée. I like em. I think the Polywebs are too dull, especially on the Larrivée L-05.  

michaelC05

Yep! I hated the first set and went back to Martin strings. I have really toxic fingers though, and tried them again, liked them a little better. That kept going for about a year and I like Elixirs overall now for picked and fingerstyle. They work well on the guitar and Martins now sound a bit shrill and last too briefly. I go back and forth between Polyweb and Nanoweb, but am sort of settling for Nanoweb. It's definitely Nanoweb on electric, but I haven't made up my mind acoustically.

I have tried the D'Adarrio coated, but not the Martin coated. I wonder how the Martins compare? Last?

I use lights. (On the electrics I use the same gague as acoustic. Im too new returning to electrics to handle those super slinky things--I feel like my hand is falling off the fretboard. I aproximate my acoustic gauges and people ask me if I'm trying to be Stevie Ray Vaughn. Hardly, I just can't do extra extra extra light!)  

Elbody

Guy's??? Dont go for what other fellas are using??? Go for the feel and longevity of the strings along with the sound.If you have sweaty hands, then its a different story. I've gotten at least 6-8 months on a D'Addarios EXP on my YAMAHA FG-335 II Dread.Im hoping i would get the same with my other Dread which uses the Elixers Poly,The Larrivée LV-03E has just past the 2 weeks roundabout.>D  

zselby

I don't like the Elixirs at all. I feel like I'm sliding all over the place.

That being said, I do end up changing my strings about every 3 weeks. There's downsides to both I guess.  

DesertJason

I don't like Polywebs, but Nanowebs are pretty good. I didn't like the set of EXPs I tried on my Larrivee OM-09.

Next I'm going to try a set of Dean Markley Alchemy strings. These have been raved about by some. Now if I can just get this set of Nanowebs to wear out so I can try them...  

Jay3863

Nope. I don't like elixers, too slick. I'm waiting for my first set of Dean Markley Alchemy's (coated, but not too slick I understand). I like martin SP's too. Just no more Elixers for me, please.  

LowdenDan

Nope,
I took mine of the day after I got my L.
I replaced them with John Pearse Phosphor Bronze Lights and like them much better. I also have some DR Rares to try.
Dan  

cpatchett

I use light Polys on my Parlor to tone down the brightness. On my DV-03RE I use John Pearse Slack Keys (mix of light and medium).

Craig  

I went back to the Elixers after trying several different brands which included my usual favorites, D'Addarios. They just seem to have a more complex tone, especially after they break in a bit.

Still prefer D'Addarios on my Seagull though.

The first string change for my L03 was to the D'addario EXP's (.12's) only because the shop was out of Elixir Nanos. I thought I'd give the D'addario's a try. I put the phosphor bronze on because I heard someone over at www.acousticguitar.com comment that Larrivee's love 'em. Not.

I replaced them with Elixir Nanowebs (.12 - .53). I like the tone and the longevity without the slickness of the polys.
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

I like the sound of uncoated strings better, but last time I put on John Pearse strings, they lasted a day.  Literally, one day.  It was frustrating.  I can get a good three weeks out of Elixirs.

I wish I could play uncoated strings, but they just don't last long enough.  Plus, I play around 2-3 hours a day, so I need a long-lasting string.

I want to try the D'Addario EXPs.  I've heard they last long but sound like uncoated strings.

You know, the Elixur Nanoweb strings have to be the greatest strings ever made. I am sticking with them. They are expensive, but they seem to last forever and the tone is on a par with the state of the art uncoated strings (John Pearse, DR, Gibson, D'Addario, etc.)

The only exception I would make is D'Angelico's Silk and Steel 12-Strings. There is no way I would use anything else on my 12-string guitar.

Griff
Larrivée: LJ-10 Custom (Gryphon)
L-10-12 (Bell Tower)
Parlour Koa Special Edition (Sweet Baby)
Gibson: 1951 Southern Jumbo ('Tiger')

I'm using Pyramids. They sound great and last a long time.

no...i`m a bit of a heavy handed player and tend to go through them too fast...they actually start to come apart(or unwind?) in front of the soundhole and in the first position on the fretboard...i find the cheaper Martins or D`addarios a better match for me because of this...that being said, a few friends of mine have been raving about Newtone strings from England recently...so I`m going to give those a shot this coming weekend...I`ll try them first on my jamming g-tar(OM-02) and if I like `em, I`ll aslo try `em on my L-09...cheers!

After owning my Larrivee for 4 years, the strings I've come to prefer - Ernie Ball Earthwood phosphor bronze.

They're not expensive, but sound warm and clear. Every now and then I pitch in a couple extra bucks and treat myself to Gibson J200's. I love the sound....just kind of pricey.  
Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.