Some questions about taking lessons

Started by funkstarfish, April 17, 2012, 01:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I took lessons from a man that was an amazing player. When  i first sat down with him he asked me how I wanted to learn. He asked me if I wanted to learn songs...scales....modes...theory...and then he tailored lessons for me based on what I wanted. It just depends on what kind of player you want to be. I just play for my own enjoyment so I focused on learning songs. he was good though...he found a way to push me to learn some scales and theory to support the songs I wanted to learn.

Have fun playing!!!

I understand your desire to find someone so that you can make sure you're on the right track. I am blind, learned guitar mostly self taught. My sister taught me a few chords, and one song "You picked a fine time to leave me Lucile."
Then, I heard a beatles song on the radio "Hay, you've got to hide your love away" and I realized that I knew that chord! the one where he does that little figure "ding da da da ding, da da da ding, ding. And it was a D chord, and though I didn't know the entire song, I could start from that D chord and move my way through the song. I was frustrated by that song and never have learned it, though I could certainly play it now.
What I'm trying to say is that Listening to music has been my teacher much of the time, and it sounds like you're on the right track by learning some of your favorites. Why? because it keeps you motivated and interested. I learned loads about rhythm, strumming, picking, all kinds of stuff by listening carefully.

A few years ago I started taking Jazz lessons from a guy named Jodi Fisher. BTW, a GREAT place to look might be the local community college. GREAT teachers and cheap prices.
Anyway, though he taught me lots, the most important thing he taught me was that I was doing what I did correctly. He said my hand technique ETC was good! I had never gotten that from hearing anything.
Another piece of advice, always play with better musicians. You'll learn tons, even if they don't directly teach you anything, you'll pick stuff up. And ask questions!

So, look for your instructor, but don't feel like you aren't learning anything valuable before you find the right instructor. It's all around you!
Larrivee d-03, My first "good" guitar
Larrivee p1 Dec 2000
Larrivee Forum III #31 Mom's estate gift to me
Boulder Creek tenor uke *2
Gibson SG 1980 gift from Dad for my 16th birthday
Yellow labrador

I still believe there are advantages to a face-to-face learning session (:45 to 1:00 long) but, with all the good advice there is one other venue that not too many people have tried (and one that I find very useful): SKYPE. I went to a Richard Gilewitz "GilaCamp" in Ohio and decided to sign up for some lessons via Skype with him. I found it to be fun and very beneficial. Here's a link to a previous thread: http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=33832.msg310526#msg310526

One other point about the "fee structure": you're getting high quality instruction at a price competitive with local teachers but in a much more relaxed atmosphere and you don't even need to get in the car to go there!
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

I also meant to mention that, before you get too stuck on form, remember that Django Reinhart was missing 2 fingers on his fretting hand I believe. He lost the others in a fire, and he helped define gypsey jazz. He probably didn't look too hard for a teacher to teach him how to play with three fingers.  So, if you're playing music, then you're playing music!
Larrivee d-03, My first "good" guitar
Larrivee p1 Dec 2000
Larrivee Forum III #31 Mom's estate gift to me
Boulder Creek tenor uke *2
Gibson SG 1980 gift from Dad for my 16th birthday
Yellow labrador

Hey guys, all great advice.  we certainly all learn in different ways and at different rates.  I feel like my learning curve is going very fast, and sometimes out of control.  its good, its all good practice. 

I love to learn, and i love a good mentor/teacher.  Ideally, a teacher should be able to lend focus, give pointers, and keep me encouraged.  While the fastest way to learn a new language is immersion, it certainly helps to have a tutor as well.
The dude abides

Another option is the Learn & Master Guitar program.  This program is great for the rank beginner through the intermediate player.  L&M also has a program specifically devoted the Blues.  I also think they are working on one for Fingerstyle.

Whatever you choose, I recommend a deliberate, comprehensive approach.

Quote from: Strings4Him on May 16, 2012, 03:58:22 PM
Another option is the Learn & Master Guitar program.  This program is great for the rank beginner through the intermediate player.  L&M also has a program specifically devoted the Blues.  I also think they are working on one for Fingerstyle.

Whatever you choose, I recommend a deliberate, comprehensive approach.

I'll give a second on his one. I'm a 55 year old rookie who knew nothing about music other than what I liked to listen to. The Learn and Master program is a comprehensive approach to learning to play and understand the guitar. The DVDs are very professional, and the on-line community is also exceptional in their support. Both the instructor (Steve Krenz) and the other students are very accessible and helpful - much like this forum. There are also live 'guest appearances' every other week to cover some particular aspect of playing - sometimes very beginner level - then we had Phil Keaggy and everyone (including Steve) just sat slack-jawed to listen to a true master. Very well worth the money.

That said, I am (finally) starting to get with a skiled guitarist friend who is able to spot position errors, give me feedback in real time, and offer personal encouragement and accountability as I hit the inevitable discouraging times (like first crack at barre chords). I thnk I have the best of both worlds going as the online lessons can be worked around my job, my wife, my life; while the face to face time helps me over the humps.

Either way works, but this works well for me!
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6