Where to find Larrivee electric guitars in brick and mortar stores

Started by JGW, April 16, 2012, 09:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am looking to get back into the world of electric guitars and am considering Larrivee.  I have a D-03R that is wonderful.  I guess I am wondering how one would find out what brick and mortar stores carry these guitars.  Many places seem to have Larrivee acoustics but not really the electrics.  The dealer list on the Larrivee's site points me to stores that seem to only have acoustics and not electrics.  Though this might just be my location.  I live just north of Columbus, OH.  I realize there may not be any stocked in local shops but thought I would ask if there is a secret list of who is carrying these awesome guitars. 

It will be a little while before I have the cash for one but I figure going out and playing them in a shop would help me figure out which I would want the most (or first). 

Any suggestions would help.   

I honestly have no idea where to go to play a Larrivee electric.  Unfortunately at this point most of the hype comes to me by word of mouth.  I am sure that there are shops around that carry them, but certainly none that I know of in my area.  One small suggestion I could make would be to try looking at web sites that carry Larrivee electrics and see if any are near you.  I imagine you may have better luck where you are than I do here in Albuquerque.  I have no doubts about the quality of Larrivee electrics (I went in on the Forum V without ever having played a Larrivee electric at all.)  Best of luck in your search, let us know what you find.

Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18

Thanks for the response, I sorta thought there would not be tons of places that carry them but thought I would ask to see if there is some directory or resource to make the search easier.  I will look into those who advertise Larrivee electrics online who are near by. 

I have total faith in the quality of Larrivee.  I guess there is a part of me that still wants to see it in person before I plunk down the cash.  In the end if Larrivee is what I decide on and I still can't play a few I would totally trust buying a guitar from a reputable online site. 

It would be interesting to know how many owners of these amazing guitars bought them at a local store or ordered them having not had a chance to play them ahead of time. 

Quote from: JGW on April 17, 2012, 02:42:14 PM
I have total faith in the quality of Larrivee.  I guess there is a part of me that still wants to see it in person before I plunk down the cash.

I totally understand, and you should definitely do what you are comfortable with.  I honestly don't know what got into me, this is not something I would normally do.  I think the circumstances were such ( The excitement of a 'Forum' guitar, which should, by all means, be a top notch, very special instrument ) that I decided to take the risk.

I wish you the best of luck in your search.

P.S:  It sure is quiet around here these days.  I hope all is well with the normal visitors.
Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18

It would be interesting to know how many owners of these amazing guitars bought them at a local store or ordered them having not had a chance to play them ahead of time. 

JGW,

I had a chance to try a RS-4 a couple years ago at a local L&M. It was one of the older models with the Jason Lollar pickups. I could tell immediately that this guitar was heads above all of the Les Pauls I tried at the same store in the past. So I ordered one with the Gen111 pickups based on that experience.

I was so impressed with the RS-4 that I ordered a Bakersfield site unseen. I am very happy that I did. They are worth every cent.

bacchus,

I know what you mean. There hasn't been much activity in the electric forum. I'm curious to know how the forumV's are coming along.
RS-4 Forum V Mini's,

Same question here on who has Bakersfields in stock ? I checked many of the dealers on Larrivee's website where the dealer had a website and could find only a couple that showed any inventory of Bakersfields at all and even then not much choice of finishes for what I could find.
L-03,  Forum-IV 003-Hog, RS-4 Hogtop HB's, Logan Custom Tele Rescue - (Aka used) (neck P-90)

Thanks for the encouragement on Larrivee quality.  I think we are lucky to have companies like them around. 

Since its been 5 years or so since I have played electric guitar I should probably go play the equivalents of the larrivee electrics; T-style, Les Paul style, etc.  Then I can have an idea of what I like.  (I used to own a telecaster but am not sure that's still what I want.)

My only thing is I think guitars tend to have their own personality.  Sure t-style guitars have a certain tone and feel, but each has its own voice and character.  I might think I want a Bakersfield but find a Ventura that just speaks to me. 

I guess I will have to make a life goal of acquiring one of each.

I bought a Rs-2 gloss finish off another forum member without ever even holding a Larrivee electric. Gen III HB's. I love that thing! If you want one then go to the 12th Fret website. They have a very, very good price on three left over new ones. They ship worldwide. Note: If you like the neck on your d-03you will also like the RS-2 neck. They are very similar. I have no idea why I waited so long to get one.
Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010
Larrivee RS-4 1983 "Explorer"

Since I'm a lefty, EVERY Larrivee I've owned I have ordered sight unseen and unplayed! But I've also had the opportunity to play lots of right-handed ones (albiet "upside-down") and hear others play them locally, which made it a no-brainer decision from my first one twenty years ago to my most recent (the Bakersfield - I own the first lefty to leave Oxnard!).

I ordered all three of my Larrivee electrics through my local dealer. They matched online prices, and even though I paid sales tax on them, it was worth it to support the local dealer and have THEM see and hear the quality of these Larrivee electrics - they are supposedly ordering a couple of right-handed Bakersfields after seeing my lefty.

See my list below - I have one of each of the Larrivee electric models ... so far. I love them all. Each one has it's own personality. The RS-4 is refined and versatile - made for rock 'n' roll and lots of other styles. The RS-2 with P-90's is very raw and raunchy, but also versatile: it can do much of the twang of a Tele on the bridge pickup, but it can also do some very nice laid back tones on the neck pickup. And the Bakersfield is pure Tele sweetness and rawness. Love the mini in the neck, but I'm definitely going to get one of Matthew's mini's to drop into it when they go into regular production!

And since I had to pass on the Forum V, someday I plan to order an RS-4 Goldtop with the mini's in it... and if they make the Lancaster in lefty, I'll have to have one of those, too! (Along with someday owning a C-09...so many guitars, so little cash!)

I've also wondered about how quiet it's been around here, but I've simply decided not to post just for the sake of making noise without having something to contribute to the conversation ... I've posted a few times on the acoustic forum in the interim.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: JGW on April 17, 2012, 02:42:14 PMIt would be interesting to know how many owners of these amazing guitars bought them at a local store or ordered them having not had a chance to play them ahead of time. 

I bought both my acoustic and electric online, sight unseen, unplayed.

I couldn't be happier - both guitars are great. The RS-4 is one of the best electrics on the planet.
Rob

Larrivee D-05
Larrivee RS-4 Custom (Arctic White)

I, too, ordered my first RS-4 unplayed or seen in person.  When I got it, the figure was absolutely insane.  Like a 10 top.  The pictures did no justice at all.  Soon as I opened the case, a halo of morning light struck the wood and put in my eye a single tear.  After 10 minutes of just looking at it, I picked it up and played it unplugged.  I knew it was a match.  Then I plugged it in.  Those pickups are the best humbuckers I've ever heard.

Long story short in only a few months time, I signed up for the Forum V and will have me a 2nd RS-4.  I am also already planning out my 3rd RS-4 which will be a custom.  A Bakersfield is next... I almost got an ASAT but I know better now to just save a few more rubles.

So now it's just a matter of finding more money to get more of them to match my boots.

I'm sure there are folks that wont like the RS-4 because it's not really a LP at all and they want a LP.  I just happened to always want a LP that I actually liked (and had a workin man's scale length :D).

I found my RS-2 2nd-hand on eBay.  Bought it without ever playing a Larrivee in my life (acoustic or electric).  Very glad I did.  You won't be disappointed.  Good Luck!
2010 RS-2 w/ P-90s and flamed maple top
2002 Les Paul DC
2007 MIM 60's Strat
2012 MIK Steinberger Spirit GT-Pro
1995(6?) MIJ Jackson Soloist
1989? MIK Washburn KC-60V w/ DiMarzios
2013 YRG-1000 Gen 2 Guitar Synth
2004 MIJ Takamine AN10

There are a number of on-line dealers here who come highly recommended.  Find one with a return policy you are comfortable with and have a go.

Music World Academy in Thunder Bay had four RS-4s when I bought mine. Amber, Charcoal, Cherry and Goldtop. It was hard to decide which colour. There's still two there. Probably explains why they haven't but I'm either hoping (or afraid) that they might bring in a Bakersfield or two.

Southern Guitars in Cartersville, Georgia.  Look up Southern Guitars on Facebook.  The owner Brian is a good guy to deal with.  Bought my J-03 from him.  He has three or four electrics there now.
Larrivee J-03
Fender Telecaster
Fender Stratocaster
Yamaha CPX-500
Alvarez AD80SSB
Alvarez RD20S12

Quote from: JGW on April 16, 2012, 09:05:08 AM
I am looking to get back into the world of electric guitars and am considering Larrivee.  I have a D-03R that is wonderful.  I guess I am wondering how one would find out what brick and mortar stores carry these guitars......

....Any suggestions would help.   

I would suggest a call to Larrivee, they can tell you which stores near you received them recently.

Ted
Ted

www.laguitarsales.com

Authorized dealer for: Larrivee - Blackbird - Breedlove - Cordoba - Eastman - Guild - Journey - Martin - Rainsong - Ramirez -  Santa Cruz - Taylor

Quote from: Tarpman on June 21, 2012, 10:09:52 AM
I would suggest a call to Larrivee, they can tell you which stores near you received them recently.

Ted

Or a call to Ted at LA Guitar Sales  :thumb in my books!!!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I finally found this post after my concerns about not being able to find Bakersfield guitars in Canada.
I did, in fact find 3, but already owning 4 telecaster guitars (all different), I decided to do a similar search for a Lancaster.

Not a single Lancaster guitar in Canada, however I did find a very nice salesman at Derby Music, who gave me a terrific price on any colour or what ever pickup configuration I wanted. (I am partial to the tobacco burst SSH).

Like others on this Forum/post, I too bought my first RS4 sight unseen, and I'm willing to do the same for the Lancaster, now that I found out I can simply decide which one I want, send a deposit and it will happen.

As I have mentioned previously, my first Larrivee I bought directly from Jean, when he was building them 2 at a time in Toronto, and after you gave him 1/2 as a deposit, he called you in 6 weeks to let you know your guitar was finished.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on February 06, 2013, 07:51:31 AM
I did find a very nice salesman at Derby Music, who gave me a terrific price on any colour or what ever pickup configuration

:thumb Derby City Music
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Thanks, Joyce, I was getting worried. They don't have a website to speak of, and only ONE Larrivee guitar on their non website.
(It's the ONLY guitar they list-they list a tuner as well)
that's their stock!

and there is NO other internet information on the store, anywhere.
No reviews, no nothing.

Makes it hard to send a deposit........
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...