2012 Martin D-18 - What's your thought?

Started by fongie, April 10, 2012, 04:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The D-18GE is a bargain for what it costs and how great it sounds.  It is built based on the 1934 D-18.  Adi top, too.  The GE cannon blew my SD-50 out of the house.  The SD-50 is a cannon, too, but the GE is better.

Still, someone here needs to play the new-spec D-18 and report back.
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: L05HD28 on April 12, 2012, 12:12:42 AM
The 2012 Martin D-18 deserves all the positive press it is receiving.
It's a winner. If you are in the market for a Hog Dread you will
not be disappointed.
I've only played one and it was wonderful.

Guess I should add to my original post.
Bought a new D-18. Martin indeed have a huge winner here.

Gibson J-45 TV
Martin D-18
Martin OM-21

I've taken a renewed interest in Martin guitars since they intruduced wider nut necks.

I'm specifically interested in the new spec of fingerboard. I played a couple of D-18 over the years, liked most of them, loved one or two - they all (except for the D-18GE) had RW finger boards and bridges.
What do the new Sitka topped models sound like with Ebony?
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Never thought I'd see one here in Australia so soon (2012) but, there is one selling on eBay here in Melbourne Aust. Mmmmm my heart is pounding so fast it's giving me GAS attacks. I wish I had some way of testing it out first.

Dangerous!

I've also taken an interest in the new 'Retro' line that has been introduced. Very little review but what I've read so far from UMGF, is very positive. I wish I had more time to review both.

Two weeks ago, I had the opportunity to play both the new D-18 and the Retro OM-28e along with several other guitars at the Martin Factory's picking parlor behind the gift shop not the picking parlor in the lobby. Both of these guitars were excellent and the quality for both of them was top shelf. The improvements they made to the D-18 and the fact that they brought the OM-28 back speaks volumes about the versatility of these two models. The OM-21 has been redesigned too.

To the question at hand: There's a reason that Gordon Lightfoot has been playing a D-18 from the late 40's as his main 6 string for the past 5-10 years and that his long time lead guitar player (the late Terry Clements) played a D-18 for many years. This model has been one of the standard bearers of the Martin line for many years and in my view the quality of their instruments is as good as it's ever been in their history. You really have to try one for yourself.

P.S. I know I can't own them all but eventually will have a mahogany Martin in the fold. And no, I won't trade or sell either of my rosewood Martins to get one.

Quote from: teh on August 12, 2012, 08:15:49 PM

I know I can't own them all but eventually will have a mahogany Martin in the fold. And no, I won't trade or sell either of my rosewood Martins to get one.
:thumb
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I have a major GAS attack for a hog Martin - the idea of a new D-18 sounds better all the time.
I saw the spec of the string spacing at the bridge yesterday - at 2 3/16" it is exactly the same as my J-05's. With the nut the same width I guess the feel of the neck would be similar, anyone verify that? - I'll have to buy it blind (online)
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: Zohn on September 07, 2012, 12:52:13 AM
With the nut the same width I guess the feel of the neck would be similar, anyone verify that? - I'll have to buy it blind (online)
The necks to me do not feel similar at all, the fretboard radius could be the reason
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: Zohn on September 07, 2012, 12:52:13 AM
I have a major GAS attack for a hog Martin - the idea of a new D-18 sounds better all the time.
I saw the spec of the string spacing at the bridge yesterday - at 2 3/16" it is exactly the same as my J-05's. With the nut the same width I guess the feel of the neck would be similar, anyone verify that? - I'll have to buy it blind (online)

:whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Bro, checkout the 'Retro' D-18 mate. I am gassing for one myself, my other choice is a D-18V which very much the same guitar as the 2012 D-18 but, has the 1 11/16" V neck.

Trust me mate, they are very nice sounding guitars.

Quote from: fongie on September 08, 2012, 09:44:18 PM
:whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Bro, checkout the 'Retro' D-18 mate. I am gassing for one myself, my other choice is a D-18V which very much the same guitar as the 2012 D-18 but, has the 1 11/16" V neck.

Trust me mate, they are very nice sounding guitars.

Sent you a pm on the other forum...

I'm a Martin guy, but I've always thought it was funny that when Martin came out with the 'performance neck' the folks on umgf thought it was a gift from their god or something! Nut at 1 3/4" and string spacing at 2 3/16".. that's what Larrivee has been doing for a good while! But, I guess, it's ground breaking for Martin folks.

I've never played a new D-18, but I'm afraid if I did some room would have to be made for a new guitar.....  :winkin:
Dave
'12 L-03RW Italian Spruce (Wildwood)

Right, so I played one yesterday. I was most fortunate to also play a D-18GE alongside it and I had someone else playing both while I listened and compared, believe it or not - I prefer the 2012 D-18 - it's not better, just more to my liking. The motivation for that finding is this:
I don't play bluegrass, the dealer of these guitars does and he prefers the GE, and I can fully understand why,; it is a power house - the Adi gives it plenty of headroom and it is a loud guitar.

I love the response and warm tone of the 2012 D-18 though - I play finger style and some strumming. The only thing I prefer in the GE is the wider string spacing at the saddle.

Having said that, the string spacing on the 2012-D18 is the same as my J-05 which is ok. That is good enough reason for me to now be an official D-18 fan.
I reckon it is a great guitar and I'm gassin' for one.....  :guitar

In the photo the guitar on the left is the D-18 and the ambertone model in the middle is the GE

WOW! Mate, glad you liked it and cheers for the feedback. I have still to test one out myself. There is a 2012 selling on eBay in Aust. but, I think I will try a D-18V first.

By the way, what is happening with the 'Custom OM-18'? Is that still on the cards?

Hey Fongie!  :smile:
I'm in two minds about the OM-18 custom since I already have two OM's. I also know that OM-18 will be a killer guitar, but so is my Berg - it might be either the D-18 or that OM, time will tell.

Meanwhile I'm very keen on a Furch 00M32SM - it is a vintage appointed 00 with an aged Sitka top and Mahogany b&s - there are some fab reviews on those guitars. (sold as Stonebridge in the US)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOBmDXvXpCg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_bX6GqV5bo

This is the Rosewood model

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xLv9sWJ2y4&list=UU60oF5USPCvPE5FEgH2UT-g&index=7&feature=plcp

Nice guitar Bro love the herring bone and the slothead. Indeed.

Interesting, I would love to compare it side by side to my 00-18V.

Quote from: fongie on September 24, 2012, 05:38:04 PM
Nice guitar Bro love the herring bone and the slothead. Indeed.

Interesting, I would love to compare it side by side to my 00-18V.

The fundamental difference  would be the Furch's long scale length.

Quote from: Zohn on September 25, 2012, 11:09:21 AM
The fundamental difference  would be the Furch's long scale length.

What about the bracings bro?

Quote from: fongie on September 27, 2012, 04:43:38 PM
What about the bracings bro?
Unfortunately not too much info available mate, I heard from a fellow forumite on 'the other' forum that they are scalloped but very lightly braced. They too are specified standard issue with light gauge (012's) strings. I do know they are very responsive guitars though.

Meanwhile I'm still gassin' for the D-18 as well - seems I might have to get both....  :blush:

Quote from: Zohn on September 30, 2012, 01:12:29 PM
Unfortunately not too much info available mate, I heard from a fellow forumite on 'the other' forum that they are scalloped but very lightly braced. They too are specified standard issue with light gauge (012's) strings. I do know they are very responsive guitars though.

Meanwhile I'm still gassin' for the D-18 as well - seems I might have to get both....  :blush:

Totally, I too had trouble finding the spec's, sounds great mate, if it is scolloped.

D-18 too huh?  :bgrin: Mate, take a step back, breathe slowly in and out. Have a :beer:winkin: Mate, your goin' too fast for me.

Mate, that 'Custom' OM-18 is the ONE. Trust me.