Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 Martin D-18 - What's your thought?  (Read 16869 times)
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: April 10, 2012, 09:45:19 PM »

So much talk regarding this D-18, it's giving me GAS.

Very much the same guitar as the D-18V except for the P neck instead of the V neck and the 1 3/4" instead of the 1 11/16" nut.

I think this could be my last purchase and I'm done. I here it's struggling to keep up the orders in the shops, lots of back orders too. So, I'm sure it won't be reachin Australia yet.

Have you played one???
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 10:28:48 PM »

Once upon a time I had a '67 D-18. I kept it for 15 years or so. I've played the "V" neck on other Martins and none of them were as comfortable as the neck on the D-18 I had. I never really bonded with the guitar and eventually sold it (for twice what I paid) but if the issue is with the neck only I'd say do it! It reminds me of a Larrivee neck (and that's REAL good).

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 03:32:12 AM »

I like every spec except for the nasty "vintage" toner.

I suspect in a year or two MFG will have a toner free custom version available and I will order one of those.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 05:45:47 AM »

I think this could be my last purchase and I'm done.

last famous w....  whistling

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 09:40:48 PM »

Once upon a time I had a '67 D-18. I kept it for 15 years or so. I've played the "V" neck on other Martins and none of them were as comfortable as the neck on the D-18 I had. I never really bonded with the guitar and eventually sold it (for twice what I paid) but if the issue is with the neck only I'd say do it! It reminds me of a Larrivee neck (and that's REAL good).

f

'67 D-18 huh? Boy, wouldn't I love to give that old vintage a test drive, just love the old vintage hogs.

Regarding the necks on the 18V and the New D=18, I don't have any issues with both necks. I do prefer the 1 3/4" nut.
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 09:44:45 PM »

I like every spec except for the nasty "vintage" toner.

I suspect in a year or two MFG will have a toner free custom version available and I will order one of those.

Hi AZ, yes sometimes the toners can be a little too much. My OM-28V has the aging toner, just wonder what happens in a few years when it ages naturally, will it be too dark in colour with the added toner? Beats me.
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 09:57:13 PM »

last famous w....  whistling

Yeah mate couldn't help myself  whistling

Sold my HD-28 recently thinking I won't be needing a dread but, I thought wrong.

Anyway, I love the sound of a hog D and always wanted one especially for the lightness in weight compare to a Rosewood D.
carruth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 11:56:44 PM »

Do you still have some Larrivees' Fongie?

Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 02:40:23 AM »

The D18 or D35 have always been the two Martins I would own if I wanted that classic dread sound.My favorite year for D18 is 66 for some reason I always liked the feel and tone.
Though I would love to get back my 72 Guild D35 my niece borrowed from me 18 years ago.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
L05HD28

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 05:12:42 AM »

The 2012 Martin D-18 deserves all the positive press it is receiving.
It's a winner. If you are in the market for a Hog Dread you will
not be disappointed.
I've only played one and it was wonderful.

Gibson J-45 TV
Martin D-18
Martin OM-21
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 08:30:44 PM »

Do you still have some Larrivees' Fongie?

Hi mate,

No, I've sold the lot. I think the C-05 was the best of the lot and most missed.
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 08:35:18 PM »

The D18 or D35 have always been the two Martins I would own if I wanted that classic dread sound.My favorite year for D18 is 66 for some reason I always liked the feel and tone.
Though I would love to get back my 72 Guild D35 my niece borrowed from me 18 years ago.

Hi Unclrob, a 66 would be a lovely year to have, I missed out on a 63 not so long ago.

Would your niece still have that Guild? I really hope you get it back.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 02:16:15 AM »

Would your niece still have that Guild? I really hope you get it back.

She better!!!!

I know she still has it.Just don't why she won't send it back.She sent me back the Clarinet and picolo that I gave her.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 02:31:18 AM »

I've been playing a friends' 72 D-18 and it is a dog.  Or a wolf, as in thuddy bass notes.  Not much hog sparkle in there.  My D-18GE (2007) is wonderful. 

This new D-18 is Martin's way of recreating the simple magic of the hog dread.  If I didn't have and love the GE, I would probably have the new D-18 here.

Play it daily for best results.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 02:59:24 AM »

Just had a 75 D18 in the shop thats been around the world nice guitar flat fingerboard but needs the neck reset.Still it sound just the way it should Like a friggin nice D18.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 09:06:03 PM »

I've been playing a friends' 72 D-18 and it is a dog.  Or a wolf, as in thuddy bass notes.  Not much hog sparkle in there.  My D-18GE (2007) is wonderful. 

This new D-18 is Martin's way of recreating the simple magic of the hog dread.  If I didn't have and love the GE, I would probably have the new D-18 here.

Yes, I think the GE is a wonderful guitar, no doubt about it. Have you had a chance to compare to the new D-18?
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 09:09:42 PM »

She better!!!!

I know she still has it.Just don't why she won't send it back.She sent me back the Clarinet and picolo that I gave her.

Unclrob, you have yourself a pretty smart niece.
Dru Edwards

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 03:43:08 PM »

I can't wait to try one. I loved the sound of the D-18v and since I prefer the 1 3/4" nut width the 2012 D-18 seems like a winner.
SMixon

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 08:34:38 PM »

I played a standard 2011 Martin D-18 this past November and it was a good sounding guitar, but just didn't cut the mustard for me.  Was it good? yes.  Was it excellent? For me no.  I ended up with and Eastman Dread in Rosewood that is excellent.  If I were going to buy a Martin D-18 I'd have to really spend some more money on the V or the GE version.  The reason I wasn't really liking the standard D-18 is due to the price tag.  For what I had in my hands vs the price? I just couldn't justify it.  I'm not bashing Martin. That particular D-18 just didn't do it for me.
PS-I realize the model I played was the 2011 model and that the 2012 models have been greatly revised with quite a few new changes.  EVEN so I could just personally couldn't pay that much for that particular model.  Just a personal thing I guess.

Taylor 512
Fender 2013 American Standard Telecaster
Vintage Gibson J-45
Therdrail Amp
Carvin Nomad Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not
Koamon

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 03:58:15 AM »

Back in 1991 I was looking to get a D-18. Did all the research and fixed my sights on one with prewar specs, but I didn't want to pay for a prewar D-18...go figure. That was before they were making the D-18v as a regular production model. But Martin was into their GOTM Series about that time and they came out with the D3-18 which was all prewar specs except for a three-piece back like the D-35. I pulled the trigger and got one from Elderly. That was one sweet guitar, wider neck, scalloped bracing, it had the advanced X braces, diamond appointments with herringbone trim dividing the three-piece panels. That was one sweet guitar and I thought I would never trade it...but lo and behold a little over a decade later, UnclRob turned me on to Larivee Koa Guitars and I off-loaded the Martin for a Larivee DV-10 Koa which was made specially for that year's NAMM Show. To me a KOA or a Blackwood dread is like a hog who had an extreme makeover, the tone being more complex, is to die for. But if you are fixed on a Martin D-18, I would suggest that you look around for a well preserved D-18 from the 1980s or 1990s, better yet, a D-18v if the price is right. IMHO that period was the postwar Golden Age for Martin. QC and workmanship I think was better then than today. In addition, you will get a 20-30 year old dread which by all accounts will be broken in and sound like a canon for the price of a new one I haven't checked the pricing on the used D-18 market, but what you pay for new these days, leave much to be desired. Someone like me maybe obsessing over that special guitar and let their D-18 go for less that it is worth. I go into GC to cheek out the Martian guitars and they don't play, feel or sound as good as the same models made in the 80s and 90s, but ymmv.
 But YMMV.

Larrivee LC-10 Koa
Larrivee DV-10 Koa
Larrivee all Koa Parlor Special Edition
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: